Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB NIL Collective (or lack thereof)

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Looking forward to some UB commits in next 2-4 weeks...way too quiet on men's BB front

Being thoughtful and bringing in the right guys. I do like that that UB Mens BBall Twitter is putting out highlight videos of our returning guys. That is pretty cool and showcasing a new beginning for these guys. Curtis Jones even commented on the Jo Smith video. Treating the returning guys as new recruits and showcasing what they did well last season.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Do we have a collective? First Iā€™ve heard of it, but Iā€™m down to donate a few $

Not to my knowledge - and this was the point of me sharing the above tweet. I guess I should have made that more obvious...

2 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Not to my knowledge - and this was the point of me sharing the above tweet. I guess I should have made that more obvious...

UB is a SUNY school. The red tape is probably going to require UB to invest massively into some grand plan of the future of how this collective will work. Let's call it the UB 2030 collective. Then after years of planning the state government is going to say its unfair to the other SUNYs. The collective is going to be highjacked and instead of UB creating an avenue to give student athletes money, each school gets $6.75 and a pack of bazooka joe.....Ā 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

UB is a SUNY school. The red tape is probably going to require UB to invest massively into some grand plan of the future of how this collective will work. Let's call it the UB 2030 collective. Then after years of planning the state government is going to say its unfair to the other SUNYs. The collective is going to be highjacked and instead of UB creating an avenue to give student athletes money, each school gets $6.75 and a pack of bazooka joe.....Ā 

SUNY has nothing to do with it. Collectives are private entities created by donors. The school/state has nothing to do with it.Ā 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

SUNY has nothing to do with it. Collectives are private entities created by donors. The school/state has nothing to do with it.Ā 

Correct.. This would be a fail from the Athletic Director and the Blue & White Club not being more proactive in keeping with the trends of intercollegiate athletics.

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

I donā€™t think this is a program. Itā€™s more for educational purposes.Ā 
Ā 

Not criticizing you but I donā€™t know what is so complicated to understand about NIL. Why are ppl on this board still opposed to it? Do yā€™all want to get left behind? Or do you just hate to see kids making money?

12 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I donā€™t think this is a program. Itā€™s more for educational purposes.Ā 
Ā 

Not criticizing you but I donā€™t know what is so complicated to understand about NIL. Why are ppl on this board still opposed to it? Do yā€™all want to get left behind? Or do you just hate to see kids making money?

Who is opposed to it still?

Not sure if I count as being against a NIL collective but at a mid major level I think donations/money should be directed towards facilities/experiences for the student athletes rather than directly to the students themselves

Definitely should have one though

My thoughts would be April through February direct funds to the program but in March direct them into the NIL collective

To me in the grand scheme of things the amount of money that a mid major will likely be able to get a student through nil isn't worth it (barring a run in March where money starts flowing). We are talking what a few grand? That same amount of money could be used for better recovery equipment or maybe upgrading the team bonding trip in Ellicottville and taking them to a new spot like new Hampshire/Maine/Vermont if hiking and camping is their thing

Give players resources to get better and experiences they won't forget. That is worth more in my opinion than a few grand each yearĀ 

Maybe I'm out to lunch and mid majors are paying student athletes hundreds of thousands too and UB is just way behindĀ 

37 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Not sure if I count as being against a NIL collective but at a mid major level I think donations/money should be directed towards facilities/experiences for the student athletes rather than directly to the students themselves

Definitely should have one though

Thereā€™s room for both. Essentially money that is donated to the school should go towards infrastructure and facilities and so on. Agree on that. But independently of the school, NIL goes directly to the player. And the collective(s) work directly with the player. Example: player X post on instagram an endorsement of a product and gets paid. The two are separate. Room for both. I think thatā€™s where the confusion and unwillingness to adapt to the change is coming from.

You mention giving players experiencesā€¦bc of NIL players are literally coming back to school rather than entering the draft, not getting drafted and having to work the various foreign leagues just to get a shot. Imagine that, kids coming back to school. Which then they make some money and earn a degree. Call me idealistic but doesnā€™t that sound great? Now imagine 10 years from now these kids start to think smarterā€¦use basketball and NIL to get business degrees and start companies. Wow. Plus the college game itself is a better product on the court. Obviously like any new rollout there have been bumps but I think itā€™s working so far. On and off the court.

• Like 1

While not against them, I worry that they may have a negative long term impact on schools with small donor bases. Ā We talk about senior transfers as rentals. Ā I think collectives could turn freshmen into rentals too. Ā ā€œlast year I got $x, so in order to stay, this year I want $yā€. Ā This model isnā€™t sustainable in small markets.Ā 

In my view, the most effective donations are; 1) direct to school 2) NIL from an individual local company 3) NIL collectives

edit: in other words, infrastructure improvements already happen slower than weā€™d like. Ā  If a portion of current direct to school donations were converted to a collective instead, those infrastructure improvements will take even longer to complete.Ā 
Ā 

2nd edit: the more outdated the infrastructure gets, the larger the collective $ needs to be, in order to entice an athlete to commit. Ā And so the downward spiral begins.Ā 

Edited by 121Merrimac
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

While not against them, I worry that they may have a negative long term impact on schools with small donor bases. Ā We talk about senior transfers as rentals. Ā I think collectives could turn freshmen into rentals too. Ā ā€œlast year I got $x, so in order to stay, this year I want $yā€. Ā This model isnā€™t sustainable in small markets.Ā 

In my view, the most effective donations are; 1) direct to school 2) NIL from an individual local company 3) NIL collectives

edit: in other words, infrastructure improvements already happen slower than weā€™d like. Ā  If a portion of current direct to school donations were converted to a collective instead, those infrastructure improvements will take even longer to complete.Ā 
Ā 

2nd edit: the more outdated the infrastructure gets, the larger the collective $ needs to be, in order to entice an athlete to commit. Ā And so the downward spiral begins.Ā 

I donā€™t disagree with anything you said. All valid. I donā€™t necessarily think itā€™s the end for small schools bc at the end of the day if you get a player that hustles off the court to secure their own deals then small schools can survive. For example, if Iā€™m a player at a small school Iā€™m going to local restaurants, car dealerships, clubs and bars and trying to secure endorsements and appearances for a fee. Any player can do this now at any school. The bigger issue you raise is the portal. I think we can ALL agree itā€™s out of control. If they can coral that then I think small schools will be able to better hold onto talent even if only for 2-3 years before they use their one time transfer. Final point, I think thereā€™s a distinction between donor and collective. Donors give to the school. School upgrades facilities and the experience for its athletes. Collective are independent of the school and pretty much pay players to play.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

ā€¦ thereā€™s a distinction between donor and collective. ā€¦

And this is important. Ā My rant was based on the idea that the people who give only have so much to give, and now they have to decide which bucket to give too. Ā Iā€™ll retract most of it, if the current direct to school amount stays the same, and any NIL collective amount is new, additional, money. Ā To be fair, I worry about falling behind the arms race too. I just wonder where the funds will come from.Ā 

14 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

And this is important. Ā My rant was based on the idea that the people who give only have so much to give, and now they have to decide which bucket to give too. Ā Iā€™ll retract most of it, if the current direct to school amount stays the same, and any NIL collective amount is new, additional, money. Ā To be fair, I worry about falling behind the arms race too. I just wonder where the funds will come from.Ā 

Absolutely. Donā€™t retract anything. Your points are great. Right now I definitely agree for small schools itā€™s tough bc they donā€™t have that donor base and/or boosters with big pockets. Itā€™s like which came first the chicken or the egg? Do we need to win to secure dollars or secure dollars then win? Can you secure dollars without winning? Definitely a tough spot for small schools. To which I agree with you 100%.

On 5/31/2023 at 2:11 PM, DaBulls99 said:

It's SUNY. They have along repeated history of mucking things up when they start going well or a something involving one school shows some initiative. I would not be shocked if it ends up needing to be a SUNY wide collective or something.Ā