Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2023 Schedule

2 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Not sure I like the home court split, but that’s a minor issue. 

I guess it makes sense that the game in winter months is held in more southernly location from a weather standpoint. However it will be a longer trip in middle of MAC regular season.  Was that your concern as well?

I do like this arrangement, though.

5 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

What did the MAC do to deserve 12 home games?  The game is played indoors, so I don’t think geography matters.  6 & 6 would have felt appropriate for a new tournament, imo

I agree 6 / 6 seems more reasonable.  All 12 MAC teams will travel to SB teams in February (?).  This is a little inconvenient for the MAC teams.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

What did the MAC do to deserve 12 home games?  The game is played indoors, so I don’t think geography matters.  6 & 6 would have felt appropriate for a new tournament, imo

I believe each team has 2 games in the challenge each season. Looks like the first one will be home for all MAC teams, so I am guessing the second will be away. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere 

Not sure why I felt compelled to do this, but here is comparison of the ranks within respective conference (per barttorvik.com) for each game.

image.png.99b9bbb8eec7de8f49dec778d48edc33.png

Ohio (in theory) got an easier game as Marshall is not participating in the first round of this.  These matchups mostly align with current view of respective conference rankings.  

Here are some current details from S. Alabama - last year they were ranked 93 by Kenpom, but they lost their top 4 scores from last year.   So a bit of a rebuild.  Here is a view of projected top 10 contributors.

image.png.0cbebef7fc4bffc23c42ee64dc6c26ef.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clodney said:

Why wouldn't they give us Ark State? Imagine how awesome the fanbase would've been for that game! I might've flown in just to see it.

Maybe stars will align for a trip down to Jonesboro during the winter.  Certainly would have more to the match up than S. Alabama.

14 hours ago, Bill said:

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere 

I see per d1 docket this game will occur on 11/11.

With announcement of Richmond, and others on d1 docket, UB has 11 OOC games.  I am expecting Canisius to be 12...do they pick up a P5, while out on west coast. Inching closer to avoiding St. John Fisher this year.

6 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Anyone who follows this closer care to lay out what's confirmed so far? Thanks in advance 

Providing what corroborating info I could find.  I would say of the 11 on d1 conference docket:

• four are corroborated (FDU, South Alabama, St. Bonaventure, SBC Away game) 
  • three Gulf Coast - I believe this is corroborated although my source is not official.
  • three more (JMU, WKU and Richmond) are not official but seem fairly likely.
  • one (UC Irvine) - I do not have anything other than d1 conference docket.

1. FDU 11/6 - Home

2. South Alabama 11/11 home

https://ubbulls.com/news/2023/6/22/mens-basketball-bulls-host-south-alabama-in-first-matchup-of-the-2023-mac-sbc-challenge.aspx

3-5.  games vs TBD at Gulf Coast Showcase

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketball-2023-24-events-schedule-05-15-2023/

6. James Madison 11/29 Away (date not confirmed by me)

https://ubbulls.com/news/2022/7/19/mens-basketball-bulls-add-three-home-games-to-non-conference-schedule.aspx

7. St. Bonaventure 12/2 Home

8. Western Kentucky 12/9 Home ( date not confirmed by me)

https://ubbulls.com/news/2021/9/23/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-adds-two-games-to-non-conference-slate.aspx

9. Richmond 12/21 Away

10. UC Irvine TBD Away I do not have corroboration on this

only have mention on d1 conference docket.

11.  SBC TBD Away 

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/8/2023 at 12:49 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

FDU counts. That’s Jersey. Good talent comes out Jersey. 

It doesn’t count few in Western New York sports fans care about FDU. Play home and away with St Bonaventure, Canisius and Niagara every year stop the madness UB. No one cares about FDU and UB alums pretending that it’s a great schedule get is a big problem with what’s wrong with UB athletics and Big Four basketball teams in general for decades. UB isn’t alone the other three Western New York universities are just as stupid. None of the basketball schools are getting one up on anyone it’s ridiculous four Division I schools barely relevant in Western New York acting like the big man on campus in Western New York. How many follows are the documentary on the new Buffalo Bills new stadium getting? I bet it’s more than all four of the Western New York Big Four basketball schools combine which explains the sorry state of affairs with Western New York College basketball. There are less than 5,000 out of 1.1 million metro Buffalo population even semi interested about this one up on each other nonsense these schools promote in college basketball.

All four schools are responsible for driving Western New York fans away with university petty self interest over the greater good of college basketball in Western New York. College basketball in Western New York is as low as I have seen it in my 48 years of being a Western New York College basketball fan. Even with all the unprecedented streaming coverage available to Western New York fans we have less college basketball fans than ever before. UB doesn’t need St Bonaventure, Canisius and Niagara in our backyard let’s spend through more money traveling to Jersey over a bus trip to Olean, Niagara Falls and Buffalo then home in bed for class the next day is a exercise in stupidity trying to get these four universities to understand that waste of money resources. But here we are FDU yahoo ridiculous be better all four division 1 universities in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

59 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

It doesn’t count few in Western New York sports fans care about FDU. Play home and away with St Bonaventure, Canisius and Niagara every year stop the madness UB. No one cares about FDU and UB alums pretending that it’s a great schedule get is a big problem with what’s wrong with UB athletics and Big Four basketball teams in general for decades 

No one is saying FDU is a great schedule get. The discussion was about playing games in the NYC metro area and recruiting that area. That’s all. It’s all a moot point anyway, the FDU game is a home game. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

2 hours ago, Blue03 said:

As lightweight as the schedule is, it does keep us at home.

My guess this schedule is a mulligan at year 2 complete new staff and roster. Hope the team chemistry and cohesiveness is being developed over the summer. 

20 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

So it only the men that people care about playing the other SUNY Centers?  Unless I am in Detroit I will be at Stony Brook.

I bet we made a deal for stony to come here next year. I for one would love to see a SUNY 4 tournament. Wouldn’t be the greatest basketball and wouldn’t be an every year thing, but hosting that kind of competition could be fun. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

So it only the men that people care about playing the other SUNY Centers?  Unless I am in Detroit I will be at Stony Brook.

I like beating the inferior SUNY schools. I'm not so sure this team will do it considering we've had essentially three different teams and coaching staffs in the last three years.