Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Game against Hofstra 7:30pm 11/20/23

Tee4three

2 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

I agree. Easy to knee jerk on this game but there's enough talent to win some in the MAC

I honestly have no idea what would make you guys say there's enough talent to win some in the MAC. I'm seeing the exact opposite. I'd put the MAC line at 3.5 and take the under.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, xDerekRx said:

I agree. Easy to knee jerk on this game but there's enough talent to win some in the MAC

5 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

There is some talent there. There's no way they get 3 or less wins in the MAC, unless the veteran players completely check out/leave mid-season.

If this was one game but the defense has been an issue in every game (including the non d1 games) I'd believe

Over the weekend I watched a Cleveland St vs Eastern Michigan who is projected to be the worst of the Mac I believe and they looked like they would beat this team by 20+

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Might have something on offense with this 5- only time I've seen the ball move

Jay wright referenced the starting line up a few times, sounded like he was hinting that it was disciplinary

If that’s true or these guys were jacking around on their first road trip instead of being on a business trip, that’s concerning in game 4

3 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

It's not a knee jerk game. Last game was worse than this one, but there still is some talent there. It's still not far from the late 90s/early 00s teams however. Man for man, this team is better than 1999 (Cohane's last full season, 3 MAC wins), 2000 (Reggie's 1st), 2 MAC wins, but not nearly as good as 2001 (the big 4 recruiting class year, 7 MAC wins).

That 2001 team versus 2000 versus now:

Darcel Williams, Lou Campbell, Rob Brown, Battle, Clem Smith, Bortz, Davis Lawrence, Gilbert, Bird, Cagwin, (Big) Swoffer, Joe Veal

2000:

Rob Brown, Lou Campbell, Jason Robinson, Damien Foster, Lawrence, Cagwin, Smith, Swoffer, Libomi, Alston, Rainey, Duane Williams (from the football team), Walcott, Adam Johnson (also from the football team)

2023:

Adams, Chatman, Fulcher, Smith, Sabol, Boldin, Jones, Williamson, McVeigh, Wilson

At least we haven't raided the football team (yet) for players. The bench is pretty short though.

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

What did we do to deserve this?

I believe you were one of the loudest yelling for JW's head (along with Erie County who has disappeared now). His teams were respectable, while nowhere near Nate's teams, and never were going to be anywhere near Nate's teams. While far from perfect, it was a solid team every year, pushing for double digit MAC wins each year. This is a far, far cry from that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

It's not a knee jerk game. Last game was worse than this one, but there still is some talent there. It's still not far from the late 90s/early 00s teams however. Man for man, this team is better than 1999 (Cohane's last full season, 3 MAC wins), 2000 (Reggie's 1st), 2 MAC wins, but not nearly as good as 2001 (the big 4 recruiting class year, 7 MAC wins).

That 2001 team versus 2000 versus now:

Darcel Williams, Lou Campbell, Rob Brown, Battle, Clem Smith, Bortz, Davis Lawrence, Gilbert, Bird, Cagwin, (Big) Swoffer, Joe Veal

2000:

Rob Brown, Lou Campbell, Jason Robinson, Damien Foster, Lawrence, Cagwin, Smith, Swoffer, Libomi, Alston, Rainey, Duane Williams (from the football team), Walcott, Adam Johnson (also from the football team)

2023:

Adams, Chatman, Fulcher, Smith, Sabol, Boldin, Jones, Williamson, McVeigh, Wilson

At least we haven't raided the football team (yet) for players. The bench is pretty short though.

I believe you were one of the loudest yelling for JW's head (along with Erie County who has disappeared now). His teams were respectable, while nowhere near Nate's teams, and never were going to be anywhere near Nate's teams. While far from perfect, it was a solid team every year, pushing for double digit MAC wins each year. This is a far, far cry from that.

I'm not the one who hires the coaches. I wanted Whitsell gone because I didn't think he was the best hire.

The answer is Alnutt by the way, not me calling for Whitesell to get fired on a message board. 

See all of his hires. 

• Like 1

This UB Bulls basketball team is scary bad. Like the UB Bulls in the East Coast Conference before the Alumni Arena renovation of the seats reducing the capacity with 500 UB Bulls fans bad. Just cancel the rest of the UB Bulls college basketball season this team has zero chance of competing or winning anything in the MAC it saves the UB Bulls fans a lot of wasted time. George Halcovage roster put together looks like he didn’t even try just called anyone wanting a free ride to college come to Buffalo. Bonnies bench players would start on this present UB Bulls basketball team. Get use to it UB Bulls fans because as bad as Maurice Linquist is in football he looks like Vince Lombardi compared to George Halcovage in basketball. This is what you get when you refuse to raise the coaching salaries to $1 million dollars a year. Get use to it because we (UB Bulls fans) are stuck with George Halcovage now for 4 more years. Unless wait maybe longer does he deserve a contract extension he beat a Division 2 school he might be a hot attractive coaching candidate to leave UB sign him up long term? George Halcovage is a clueless deer in headlights coach who can’t recruit transfer portal and looks like he never been on a basketball bench as a coach before. Go all young was a bad idea in NIL, transfer portal era of college basketball you can’t win that way anymore. The postives after 5 years of crappy basketball with no fans from Buffalo going someone at UB will figure out you need to spend more money on a head coach. Thankfully for this UB Bulls fan the Bonnies and Griffs basketball teams are improved so when I want to watch serious college basketball I can watch them as a Buffalo sports fan until UB athletics is serious about college basketball again whenever UB gets around to it in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

19 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

believe you were one of the loudest yelling for JW's head (along with Erie County who has disappeared now). His teams were respectable, while nowhere near Nate's teams, and never were going to be anywhere near Nate's teams. While far from perfect, it was a solid team every year, pushing for double digit MAC wins each year. This is a far, far cry from that.

And so it starts…

You're asking "Was Whitesell better than Halcovage?" when you should be asking "Were Whitesell and Halcovage both bad choices?". Whitesell teams regressed every year and halted any national recognition that we had built, while Halcovage appears to be driving the nail in the coffin. Either way, these were both Alnutt hires so imo your complaint is misdirected.

Overall, I still think it's wayyyyyy too early to go crazy about Halcovage. We don't know what we have yet. You can't be cheerleading to keep Whitesell after his 4th year of failing but jumping down Halcovage's throat after 4 games.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, clodney said:

You're asking "Was Whitesell better than Halcovage?" when you should be asking "Were Whitesell and Halcovage both bad choices?". Whitesell teams regressed every year and halted any national recognition that we had built, while Halcovage appears to be driving the nail in the coffin. Either way, these were both Alnutt hires so imo your complaint is misdirected.

Overall, I still think it's wayyyyyy too early to go crazy about Halcovage. We don't know what we have yet. You can't be cheerleading to keep Whitesell after his 4th year of failing but jumping down Halcovage's throat after 4 games.

Last 4 years:

70-49 - JW 

78-47 - Boals

One is talked about like a king on here, one was talked about like a chump at every turn. Again, while nowhere near Nate (neither are close), the team was respectable every year. If last year's team played the soft schedule of this year's team, they'd have been close to 20 wins. Instead, they played Colgate, JMU, Uconn, Drake, Tulane, WVU, Michigan State.  

We can compare things in all sorts of ways, but the days of top 25 are looking to be long gone, never to return. Previously, we were at least able to watch the game without desiring putting on a brown paper bag over our faces. Sadly, football is looking that way too, 14-22 in the last 3 years. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Last 4 years:

70-49 - JW 

78-47 - Boals

One is talked about like a king on here, one was talked about like a chump at every turn. Again, while nowhere near Nate (neither are close), the team was respectable every year. If last year's team played the soft schedule of this year's team, they'd have been close to 20 wins. Instead, they played Colgate, JMU, Uconn, Drake, Tulane, WVU, Michigan State.  

We can compare things in all sorts of ways, but the days of top 25 are looking to be long gone, never to return. Previously, we were at least able to watch the game without desiring putting on a brown paper bag over our faces. Sadly, football is looking that way too, 14-22 in the last 3 years. 

Plus George Mason. I’m happy UB played teams of that caliber. They ought to do that every year, regardless. As for today’s fiasco: “Mama said there'll be days like this”.

25 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Last 4 years:

70-49 - JW 

78-47 - Boals

I'm not going to bother with another round of why that comparison is complete garbage, but I will say that everything you're saying is insanely premature. We have no idea what Halcovage can build over time. We just know that this team is a hot mess right now - 4 flippin' games into the new coach's career. I've always held the opinion that a coach gets 3 years to prove that the program is on an upward trajectory. The previous administration failed to do that. This administration deserves more time to prove they can right the ship.

Unless this isn't about Halcovage at all and you just want to yell "I told you so!" to make yourself feel better.

Edited by clodney
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Last 4 years:

70-49 - JW 

78-47 - Boals

One is talked about like a king on here, one was talked about like a chump at every turn.

He is no king but Boals won a MAC championships against us and he pulled a first round tournament upset. I don’t have to tell you how far that goes for a mid major program.

21 minutes ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

I’m genuinely scared of how bad we are going to be slaughtered by JMU. The way they’ve looked, they may hang 130+ on this UB team even if they put the foot on the brakes in the 2nd half 

I'm worried the coaches that Nate oates beat by 30+ for a couple years in a row still remember and will take their turn doing right back to ub this season

There are a couple Mac teams that might beat this team by 50+

• Like 1