Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

NIL and it's relation to wins

Chet

8 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

So UB needs to get "serious about building and supporting winning programs" before making a donation.  That is an assumption without basis, that UB does not want build and have winning programs.

But they need money to get "serious about building and supporting winning programs".

You have a created a chicken or egg situation, with the result of UB not having the money that you believe that they need.  That makes you part of the problem and not the solution.

I don’t throw good money after bad. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1975 said:

I don’t throw good money after bad. 

That’s not the mantra of UB. “Give us your money, money will fix everything and we will spend it how we want,”

NIL will fix it but people are worried about their jobs and rightfully so. By the way, Ub foundation has over $1 billion in assets. Not all that money is attached to projects by the way.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/160865182

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

What vanity projects are there?  Has athletics built something that was not needed?  Naming rights can go on buildings, suites, rooms or lockers.  The beauty of naming rights is that a name goes on somthing that is already there or being built, for very little money.  That allows the bulk of the money to be used for other things that are needed.

Art gallery? How many graduates do we have in music and art every year? How many professors do we have? I was told the whole program is basically one on one tutoring.

13 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

NIL "donations" are not donations.  They are payments for which an athlete is supposed to do something. If they do something for you are they could be your employee?  Do you have the proper insurance if they get hurt? 

It's important to clarify information surrounding various Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) initiatives. While some statements may appear misleading, it's essential to consider the context and motivations behind them.

BrooklynBull's primary role is to generate funding for the university in some fashion, which might influence his perspective on NIL structures. However, if BrooklynBull is intentionally misleading information, that isn't condoned. If BrooklynBull is misinformed that is understandable. 

The reality is that both non-profit and for-profit NIL models exist. Here are some examples:

• Ohio State: THE Foundation, their NIL collective, operates as a non-profit (501(c)(3)) organization. This allows donors to receive tax deductions for their contributions.
  • Ohio Bobcats: Their NIL initiative partners with the BPS Foundation, another 501(c)(3), making donations tax-deductible.
  • Albany Great Danes:  GDLC is overseen by an alumni board of directors and its website says it is an “approved 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization operating as a private foundation.
  • https://www.on3.com/nil/collectives/ does a great job of determining which collective is non-profit

By understanding the diverse landscape of NIL models, we can avoid perpetuating misconceptions and engage in constructive discussions about this evolving landscape.

The path forward for the athletics at UB to compete in Division 1 athletics is NIL. Auburn is making a effort to push NIL, is Buffalo too stubborn to admit our priorities ? To quote Bruce Peal and AD Cohen at Auburn "Pearl would rather see more money contributed to the school's NIL collectives. Cohen is not in disagreement with his basketball coach's train of thought regarding the flow of money,"

To achieve success in basketball, acquiring the following components is crucial, and a non-profit NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) organization can play a pivotal role in making these aspirations a reality. While retaining the current coach, a decision I may not fully endorse but which would result in saving approximately a million dollars, the focus should shift towards prioritizing player talent over XOs.

Allocate a budget of $1 million for charter flights, with estimated costs ranging between $200,000 to $300,000 each flight.

Dedicate a budget of $1.4 million for the starting five players and three bench players.

Invest in scheduling buyout games annually to host ACC, Big East, or Big Ten matchups, thereby bringing in powerhouse teams to enhance the team's competitive standing and increase media exposure.

We do all three, we will be in the national championship discussion each year. If we're not going to invest in NIL, we're simply need to downgrade to the MAAC, join the bus league, and save money. Our NYC alumni could see us play more.

Edited by TheCommish

4 hours ago, TheCommish said:

We do all three, we will be in the national championship discussion each year.

Definitely some useful information in your post re: NIL at other schools.

But the above is just hyperbole. Even the blue bloods find it challenging to stay in the national championship discussion each year. I think keeping expectations reasonable and focusing on baby steps is wise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Art gallery? How many graduates do we have in music and art every year? How many professors do we have? I was told the whole program is basically one on one tutoring.

So you want to shut down entire departments, cause people to lose jobs and force students to transfer?

8 hours ago, TheCommish said:

BrooklynBull's primary role is to generate funding for the university in some fashion, which might influence his perspective on NIL structures.

That is not my primary role.  My primary role is working to be able to do what I want to do in my life.  Part of that is donating to different parts of UB.  I have had a plan since I began my work life over 40 years ago on how to have the money to donate to UB, among other schools.  I have booster restrictions on me at Stony Brook, Oakland and BC (that one is real stupid, because I became a booster there when buying a parking spot for a UB football game there).  I also donate to multiple other educational institutions and charities.  If I was all about generating money for UB, then all of my other donations would be going to UB.

Albany Great Danes:  GDLC is overseen by an alumni board of directors and its website says it is an “approved 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization operating as a private foundation.

This appears to be a one team collective.  The "G" on GDLC does not stand for Great, it stands for Grayed.  Their website says that they are unaffiliated with the school.  Do you want individualized collectives by team or one for the department as a whole?

The path forward for the athletics at UB to compete in Division 1 athletics is NIL.

So other than rant about my donations and what I support and the legacy that I want to leave at UB, which will become even larger, with an announcement near the end of the academic year, what have you done to set up a NIL program?  Have you done anything to form a 501(c)(3)? Have you gotten a commitment for any money besides the $150.00 that I said I would give, if able to without violating NCAA restrictions?  Have you pledged a dime of your money that will be going into a NIL group?

Also they way you talk you make it see like NIL money will bring success and winning.  Texas A&M football may disagree with that theory.

To paraphrase McCartney and Lennon:

Say you don't need no championship rings
And I'll be satisfied
Tell me that you want the kind of things
That money just can't buy
I don't care too much for money
Money can't buy me wins

4 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Definitely some useful information in your post re: NIL at other schools.

But the above is just hyperbole. Even the blue bloods find it challenging to stay in the national championship discussion each year. I think keeping expectations reasonable and focusing on baby steps is wise.

How pissed would you be if you paid your coach $13 million (Kansas) and you get 2 National Championships over 14 years? Is that a solid investment? Kansas is near the top most years, but that guarantees nothing. Is a Final Four appearance enough to justify the salary? Is a Big 12 Title enough (especially with what the Big 12 will soon become)?

The one good thing for the big programs is they won't have to pay NIL to 1 player for 4 years like UB will, they can just recycle that money to the next guy of the 1 and done players.

If Dayton can pay Jack $75k, should we be able to match something like that for a player like him? Not sure I have a good answer for that. At least CuJo is at a top 25 program and is contributing.

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

That is not my primary role.  My primary role is working to be able to do what I want to do in my life.  Part of that is donating to different parts of UB.  I have had a plan since I began my work life over 40 years ago on how to have the money to donate to UB, among other schools.  I have booster restrictions on me at Stony Brook, Oakland and BC (that one is real stupid, because I became a booster there when buying a parking spot for a UB football game there).  I also donate to multiple other educational institutions and charities.  If I was all about generating money for UB, then all of my other donations would be going to UB.

This appears to be a one team collective.  The "G" on GDLC does not stand for Great, it stands for Grayed.  Their website says that they are unaffiliated with the school.  Do you want individualized collectives by team or one for the department as a whole?

So other than rant about my donations and what I support and the legacy that I want to leave at UB, which will become even larger, with an announcement near the end of the academic year, what have you done to set up a NIL program?  Have you done anything to form a 501(c)(3)? Have you gotten a commitment for any money besides the $150.00 that I said I would give, if able to without violating NCAA restrictions?  Have you pledged a dime of your money that will be going into a NIL group?

Also they way you talk you make it see like NIL money will bring success and winning.  Texas A&M football may disagree with that theory.

To paraphrase McCartney and Lennon:

Say you don't need no championship rings
And I'll be satisfied
Tell me that you want the kind of things
That money just can't buy
I don't care too much for money
Money can't buy me wins

You should be a politician. You didn’t once post you made an error. First, you said NIL donation wasn’t tax deductible then your excuse is now, no affiliation. By the way, no comment on Ohio and Ohio State? 

2 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

How pissed would you be if you paid your coach $13 million (Kansas) and you get 2 National Championships over 14 years? Is that a solid investment? Kansas is near the top most years, but that guarantees nothing. Is a Final Four appearance enough to justify the salary? Is a Big 12 Title enough (especially with what the Big 12 will soon become)?

The one good thing for the big programs is they won't have to pay NIL to 1 player for 4 years like UB will, they can just recycle that money to the next guy of the 1 and done players.

If Dayton can pay Jack $75k, should we be able to match something like that for a player like him? Not sure I have a good answer for that. At least CuJo is at a top 25 program and is contributing.

I don't think Kansas fans are pissed at all about what Self has accomplished for their investment. This one hits home for me too since they paid my cousin seven figures to nab him from Michigan. But I agree we should set our sights on catching up with places like Dayton before even mentioning national tiles.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

So you want to shut down entire departments, cause people to lose jobs and force students to transfer?

Certainly, we cannot cater to everyone's needs and we shouldn't. It's important to evaluate programs that are not graduating students. Specifically, what are the expenses related to salaries, benefits, and legacy costs for such programs, and what return on investment (ROI) can be attributed to them? Screenshot2024-02-21051435-Copy.thumb.gif.dd89210c60b863287926253cd3c1f876.gif

20 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

BrooklynWall -  The most successful NIL are the NILs not affiliated with the school.

It's important to clarify information surrounding various Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) initiatives. While some statements may appear misleading, it's essential to consider the context and motivations behind them.

Please approach with caution any individuals associated with their any job duty of fundraising, sponsorship, or in-kind gifts, as their perspectives on Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) structures may be influenced. While intentional misinformation is not condoned, it's understandable if some individuals are misinformed. It's crucial to refrain from spreading misinformation and seek accurate information instead.

The reality is that both non-profit and for-profit NIL models exist. Here are some examples:

• Ohio State: THE Foundation, their NIL collective, operates as a non-profit (501(c)(3)) organization. This allows donors to receive tax deductions for their contributions.
  • Ohio Bobcats: Their NIL initiative partners with the BPS Foundation, another 501(c)(3), making donations tax-deductible.
  • Albany Great Danes:  GDLC is overseen by an alumni board of directors and its website says it is an “approved 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization operating as a private foundation.
  • https://www.on3.com/nil/collectives/ does a great job of determining which collective is non-profit

By understanding the diverse landscape of NIL models, we can avoid perpetuating misconceptions and engage in constructive discussions about this evolving landscape.

The path forward for the athletics at UB to compete in Division 1 athletics is NIL. Auburn is making a effort to push NIL, is Buffalo too stubborn to admit our priorities ? To quote Bruce Peal and AD Cohen at Auburn "Pearl would rather see more money contributed to the school's NIL collectives. Cohen is not in disagreement with his basketball coach's train of thought regarding the flow of money,"

To achieve success in basketball, acquiring the following components is crucial, and a non-profit NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) organization can play a pivotal role in making these aspirations a reality. While retaining the current coach, a decision I may not fully endorse but which would result in saving approximately a million dollars, the focus should shift towards prioritizing player talent over XOs.

Allocate a budget of $1 million for charter flights, with estimated costs ranging between $200,000 to $300,000 each flight.

Dedicate a budget of $1.4 million for the starting five players and three bench players.

Invest in scheduling buyout games annually to host ACC, Big East, or Big Ten matchups, thereby bringing in powerhouse teams to enhance the team's competitive standing and increase media exposure.

This is preliminary stages as I am hoping we have people willing to set-up and do the paperwork (taxes, 501(c)3, etc)

27 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I don't think Kansas fans are pissed at all about what Self has accomplished for their investment. This one hits home for me too since they paid my cousin seven figures to nab him from Michigan. But I agree we should set our sights on catching up with places like Dayton before even mentioning national tiles.

I don't disagree - start small then go big. Right now, we have zero plan in my opinion. We almost have no ambition to win at all. https://dayton6th.com/ from their NIL 

Our goal is clear - we must continue to make the Flyers a destination program for student-athletes from across the country and the world.

The landscape of college basketball has changed and the introduction of name, image, and likeness (NIL) compensation to student-athletes has proven to be one of the most significant changes in college athletics history (and we are only at the beginning). In its brief history, NIL has become one of the primary influences on the student-athlete experience at every school across the country.

We must face the new realities of college sports and remain an elite basketball program amid the current, hyper-competitive environment.
https://dayton6th.com/faqs

Edited by TheCommish
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Certainly, we cannot cater to everyone's needs and we shouldn't. It's important to evaluate programs that are not graduating students. Specifically, what are the expenses related to salaries, benefits, and legacy costs for such programs, and what return on investment (ROI) can be attributed to them? Screenshot2024-02-21051435-Copy.thumb.gif.dd89210c60b863287926253cd3c1f876.gif

To not know what these programs bring to the school is a bit naive. UB is a top flight Public University part of that is the school does need to cater to nearly everybody. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheCommish said:

This is preliminary stages as I am hoping we have people willing to set-up and do the paperwork (taxes, 501(c)3, etc)

So 5 charter filghts? With pulling money out of nowhere.

The school itself cannot be anywhere near how the money if spread out to players.  I'm also sure that $1.4 million would put us near to top of college ball

I thought you were agains buy out games?

3 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

To not know what these programs bring to the school is a bit naive. UB is a top flight Public University part of that is the school does need to cater to nearly everybody. 

I disagree. You think we should have the same number of teams as Stanford? Heck, we dropped baseball because of what? How many programs are losing money because we're catering to "everybody" and we're not catering to everyone, otherwise we would have a robust nursing and teaching program? If we dropped baseball, why not programs that are not producing graduates. Why not add ice hockey?

3 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

So 5 charter filghts? With pulling money out of nowhere.

The school itself cannot be anywhere near how the money if spread out to players.  I'm also sure that $1.4 million would put us near to top of college ball

I thought you were agains buy out games?

Correct. The NIL would handle that aspect, how it works, based on your response, I am assuming you're novice on the subject. Please don't spread misinformation.

Buy games - I'm against, taking the beating that come with being an underfunded athletic department. I'm for spending money to give proper recognition to marquee matchups, not taking a welfare check to fund our swim program. You think a home schedule of 2 D2 programs is acceptable?

Allegedly, Nevada spent $500k on NIL, New Mexico is close to a million. There have been some misses, programs spending $2 million for a NIT bid. I know of a program that is a bubble and they spent $400k. Still need to evaluate talent correctly.

Edited by TheCommish

7 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

...based on your response, I am assuming you're novice on the subject. Please don't spread misinformation.

Good lord! How many annoying know-it-alls are there in Buffalo?? Your posts are all so condescending. Just state your opinion and stop telling everyone how the world works.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, clodney said:

Good lord! How many annoying know-it-alls are there in Buffalo?? Your posts are all so condescending. Just state your opinion and stop telling everyone how the world works.

But it’s okay for Brooklyn to say nil is not tax deductible?

I remember you, you were the reason I left the board, years ago. I still have pms

Edited by TheCommish

3 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

But it’s okay for Brooklyn to say nil is not tax deductible?

I remember you, you were the reason I left the board, years ago. I still have pms

I don't remember or even doubt that I said stuff. I'm also sure you're the type of person that's researching posts from deacdes ago to prove a point. I don't really care as I have changed quite a bit since those days and don't have the same passion for this message board that I did back then.

13 minutes ago, clodney said:

I don't remember or even doubt that I said stuff. I'm also sure you're the type of person that's researching posts from deacdes ago to prove a point. I don't really care as I have changed quite a bit since those days and don't have the same passion for this message board that I did back then.

I have too. I’ll screenshot the messages if you want. I don’t want to relive the personal stuff you said to me. I don’t want to ever relive that time again, actually you singling me out, triggered me. 

55 minutes ago, clodney said:

Let me get this out of the way I like BrooklynBull and appreciate his work for his school. So this isn’t meant to pick on anyone posts. So basically you are saying lay off BrooklynBull because you agree with him that UB athletics doesn’t need NIL or any changes? That it’s fun watching UB Bulls lose to St Bonaventure Bonnies yearly forever because they are up with the times with NIL and UB Bulls aren’t?

Understand with 5+7 college football playoffs next season BrooklynBull view is going to look more out of touch than it does now. I like BrooklynBull but I think UB needs some younger people in leadership positions with Blue White to understand the college athletics landscape we are living in today. BrooklynBull is like leaving Reggie Witherspoon in power as head coach. It worked at one time but unfortunately for whatever reason the individual is too stuck in his ways to change. It’s not an age thing some people can change like myself that see the new reality of NIL and things like selling beers at UB Bulls games from a business view standpoint. Which if memory serves me BrooklynBull wasn’t a big fan of selling beer at games because of liability or something? Nothing happened UB Bulls today sells beers we all survived. Nobody got sued. The problem is I see with people in BrooklynBull point of view in power at UB is they still see the NCAA as all powerful Oz. The NCAA is irrelevant today after losing the court cases. You’re in the Wild West of major college sports now and you have to pay the players something. We aren’t talking millions of dollars because obviously UB Bulls don’t have that kind of money. But a real point guard that can play at the mid major level that doesn’t have crap in his game with turnovers is going to cost $1,500 to $2,000 a year if you want to rent him for the season. And then he is going to move on down the road for more money greener pastures once he establishes himself at UB he is gone. Then you have to buy someone else to replace that guard. There is no big secret what the St Bonaventure Bonnies are doing Mark Schmidt admits it and encourages Bonnies fans to raise more NIL money.

Forget about improving UB Bulls weight rooms players want the money in there own pockets. I say this as a word of caution for UB Bulls athletics when I was a kid growing up in the 1970’s and early 1980’s Crystal Beach Amusement Park was packed with Buffalonians and Canadians it was wonderful. I went every summer until the Amusement Park closed while I was in college in 1989 after 101 years it was Canadians oldest amusement park. Generations of my family for 100 years grew up with going to Crystal Beach Amusement Park it was a Buffalo institution. For the New Yorker think Coney Island to give one an idea. Crystal Beach fell out with the times with young people because of Canada Wonderland and land developers were greedy choosing to build condos for the wealthy. Buffalo Super Fan what is the point? The point UB Bulls fans might being witnessing the decline of UB Bulls athletics because of poor choices from leadership not keeping up with the times when it comes to the changes in the MAC when it comes to NIL. The UB Bulls are fast becoming the St Louis Browns of the American League in the MAC. Yes UB Bulls exist in the MAC but UB Bulls are becoming a bottom basement cellar dweller of the MAC yearly potentially which is sad because it doesn’t have to be this way. At some point Western New York is going to expect UB Bulls to win the MAC championship and have a chance at the one playoff spot that Group of 5 has a chance at access to that the College Football Playoff are trying for two years. But that isn’t going to happen without paying the players something money wise with NIL in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UB Horns Up said:

I like BrooklynBull but I think UB needs some younger people in leadership positions with Blue White to understand the college athletics landscape we are living in today.

I understand the need for NIL.  The people in power in Athletics know this as well.  The question is who is going to set it up.  TheCommish types a game, but has done nothing to raise any NIL money, other than saving UB needs 440 people to put up $10,000.00 each on average and asking me for $150.00.

It’s not an age thing some people can change like myself that see the new reality of NIL and things like selling beers at UB Bulls games from a business view standpoint. Which if memory serves me BrooklynBull wasn’t a big fan of selling beer at games because of liability or something? Nothing happened UB Bulls today sells beers we all survived.

My position was against selling beers because, it is not going to bring one extra person to a game and because you cannot sell any to students, except some seniors and graduate students (ah for the good old days and 18 year old drinking laws, DAMM MADD).  I have not seen UB's numbers on beer sales, but for the initial year the money raised at Ohio University was negligible.  I also do not know if the Athletic Department gets any of the money from the sale of beer on campus.  All alcohol sales on campus are controlled FSA d/b/a Three Pillars Catering.

As for your position on beer, you were in favor of it until after the Baylor game on a Friday night.  You then came out against it because of the amount of issues in the stands that night.  Not sure when or why you switched back.

Forget about improving UB Bulls weight rooms players want the money in there own pockets.

Even with NIL money, facilities can make a difference where a student goes.  Between the fieldhouse and new training facility, with NIL being equla it will give UB an advantage.

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

My position was against selling beers because, it is not going to bring one extra person to a game

This absolutely untrue fyi from personal and anecdotal experience. The number of people I've seen socializing and enjoying a drink in the concourse this year during 20 point losses alone shows it's been appreciated. Not to mention it's just civilized to offer adults beverages should they choose to partake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

This absolutely untrue fyi from personal and anecdotal experience. The number of people I've seen socializing and enjoying a drink in the concourse this year during 20 point losses alone shows it's been appreciated. Not to mention it's just civilized to offer adults beverages should they choose to partake.

I've been sober for nearly 15 years and still think it's a great idea. Obviously, if someone is next to me with a beer snake? different story.

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

I understand the need for NIL.  The people in power in Athletics know this as well.  The question is who is going to set it up.  TheCommish types a game, but has done nothing to raise any NIL money, other than saving UB needs 440 people to put up $10,000.00 each on average and asking me for $150.00.

My position was against selling beers because, it is not going to bring one extra person to a game and because you cannot sell any to students, except some seniors and graduate students (ah for the good old days and 18 year old drinking laws, DAMM MADD).  I have not seen UB's numbers on beer sales, but for the initial year the money raised at Ohio University was negligible.  I also do not know if the Athletic Department gets any of the money from the sale of beer on campus.  All alcohol sales on campus are controlled FSA d/b/a Three Pillars Catering.

As for your position on beer, you were in favor of it until after the Baylor game on a Friday night.  You then came out against it because of the amount of issues in the stands that night.  Not sure when or why you switched back.

Even with NIL money, facilities can make a difference where a student goes.  Between the fieldhouse and new training facility, with NIL being equla it will give UB an advantage.

"but has done nothing to raise any NIL money," correct. No one has. I know people in the department are worried about the money leaving the department, I was told that. I know they’re worried about sponsors and donors giving towards NIL instead. I know the marketing department has stated, they have changed their philosophy on marketing the teams "more like the Bisons,". I'm trying to start one, I'm hoping with have others willing to do it the right way with proper paperwork, I can't do this alone. Where do we start? Right now, right here.

" I also do not know if the Athletic Department gets any of the money from the sale of beer on campus," that's fine, beer sales are no different than t-shirt giveaways, bounce houses, First 150 kids- UB sunglasses or Playstation 5. Winner must be in attendance. Do you really think someone will come to a game for sunglasses? No, it's extra/bonus just as beer is. it is not going to bring one extra person to a game are you against giveaways then? 

6 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Let me get this out of the way I like BrooklynBull and appreciate his work for his school. So this isn’t meant to pick on anyone posts. So basically you are saying lay off BrooklynBull because you agree with him that UB athletics doesn’t need NIL or any changes? That it’s fun watching UB Bulls lose to St Bonaventure Bonnies yearly forever because they are up with the times with NIL and UB Bulls aren’t?

Understand with 5+7 college football playoffs next season BrooklynBull view is going to look more out of touch than it does now. I like BrooklynBull but I think UB needs some younger people in leadership positions with Blue White to understand the college athletics landscape we are living in today. BrooklynBull is like leaving Reggie Witherspoon in power as head coach. It worked at one time but unfortunately for whatever reason the individual is too stuck in his ways to change. It’s not an age thing some people can change like myself that see the new reality of NIL and things like selling beers at UB Bulls games from a business view standpoint. Which if memory serves me BrooklynBull wasn’t a big fan of selling beer at games because of liability or something? Nothing happened UB Bulls today sells beers we all survived. Nobody got sued. The problem is I see with people in BrooklynBull point of view in power at UB is they still see the NCAA as all powerful Oz. The NCAA is irrelevant today after losing the court cases. You’re in the Wild West of major college sports now and you have to pay the players something. We aren’t talking millions of dollars because obviously UB Bulls don’t have that kind of money. But a real point guard that can play at the mid major level that doesn’t have crap in his game with turnovers is going to cost $1,500 to $2,000 a year if you want to rent him for the season. And then he is going to move on down the road for more money greener pastures once he establishes himself at UB he is gone. Then you have to buy someone else to replace that guard. There is no big secret what the St Bonaventure Bonnies are doing Mark Schmidt admits it and encourages Bonnies fans to raise more NIL money.

Forget about improving UB Bulls weight rooms players want the money in there own pockets. I say this as a word of caution for UB Bulls athletics when I was a kid growing up in the 1970’s and early 1980’s Crystal Beach Amusement Park was packed with Buffalonians and Canadians it was wonderful. I went every summer until the Amusement Park closed while I was in college in 1989 after 101 years it was Canadians oldest amusement park. Generations of my family for 100 years grew up with going to Crystal Beach Amusement Park it was a Buffalo institution. For the New Yorker think Coney Island to give one an idea. Crystal Beach fell out with the times with young people because of Canada Wonderland and land developers were greedy choosing to build condos for the wealthy. Buffalo Super Fan what is the point? The point UB Bulls fans might being witnessing the decline of UB Bulls athletics because of poor choices from leadership not keeping up with the times when it comes to the changes in the MAC when it comes to NIL. The UB Bulls are fast becoming the St Louis Browns of the American League in the MAC. Yes UB Bulls exist in the MAC but UB Bulls are becoming a bottom basement cellar dweller of the MAC yearly potentially which is sad because it doesn’t have to be this way. At some point Western New York is going to expect UB Bulls to win the MAC championship and have a chance at the one playoff spot that Group of 5 has a chance at access to that the College Football Playoff are trying for two years. But that isn’t going to happen without paying the players something money wise with NIL in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

To quote CollegeAD.com from anonymous AD "recruits would rather change in a phone booth for more money," and "facility piece doesn't exactly move the needle," Niagara's facilities are terrible, Daemen level and they're much better basketball team and they beat us by 6.

The point UB Bulls fans might being witnessing the decline of UB Bulls athletics because of poor choices from leadership not keeping up with the times when it comes to the changes in the MAC when it comes to NIL.  100% and I'm arguing with employees that don't want things to change, I honestly don't blame Brooklyn because he is protecting himself (I would too) and friends that will lose out on donations. UB Foundation has a billion in cash. Our window is closing, if D1 football players are going to have to be employees, our days are over. Football/UB couldn't afford worker's compensation. Football program would be done, the XFL was practicing in Texas to avoid worker's compensation and purchased umbrella insurance because of the cost. Every workout, practice, game is an expense. I think professional football worker's comp is $100 per $1 of the employee salary.

We have a small window, I think a lot of people at the games and on the board, don't realize the importance of NIL. Every college can now have a bagman, not just the "cheaters"

Edited by TheCommish

1 hour ago, TheCommish said:

Our window is closing, if D1 football players are going to have to be employees, our days are over. Football/UB couldn't afford worker's compensation. Football program would be done, the XFL was practicing in Texas to avoid worker's compensation and purchased umbrella insurance because of the cost. Every workout, practice, game is an expense. I think professional football worker's comp is $100 per $1 of the employee salary.

We have a small window, I think a lot of people at the games and on the board, don't realize the importance of NIL. Every college can now have a bagman, not just the "cheaters"

With all due respect, if you're referring to a window of true national relevance (i.e. frequent NCAAT appearances in mens and womens basketball, frequent bowl games, frequent conference championships, upgraded conference, somewhat regular national top 25-50 rankings), the window is long closed.  You could argue whether the window was ever open at all.

UB does not have the donor base, the state funding support, the student support, the brand recognition/media market, the athletics cachet of a program that can sustain success and move up the ranks.  The "Haves" in college athletics are consolidating, and UB (along with every other G5 school, and truthfully many of the bottom-feeder P5's) is on the outside looking in.  

That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for success.  UB should absolutely have an NIL collective and solicit donations, and UB should have the resources to be a contender in the MAC in all sports.  But the Tilman Fertittas and T Boone Pickenses and Phil Knights of the world don't grow on trees.  

Edited by UBlearns