Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB MBB @ Butler - Tue. 12/5/23 8:30PM

MuchMany

1 minute ago, Bluebird96 said:

Finished with the same 2 fouls he picked up in the first few minutes of the game.  Hindsight now, but an extra 8-10 minutes of game time from Chatman might have helped the Bulls keep this closer in the end.

Yep. "Foul trouble" is always self inflicted. The refs don't get involved until 5.

Definitely a better performance for a good chunk of the game.  Especially when they went to the rim.

A lot of young, inexperienced guys we have.   Butler didn't play great, certainly, but we have to take any positives we can at this point.

With this same effort and approach, we can certainly be in the game/compete for a win on Saturday.

Go Bulls.

Another loss that is the bottom line close against Butler Bulldogs doesn’t mean anything. I think it’s 50/50 UB Bulls can beat the Niagara Purple Eagles December 29. UB Bulls basketball is looking at a 5 wins season including the Division 2 game. That is pathetic and no I don’t trust George Halcovage knows what he’s doing as a head coach and obviously he can’t judge talent. UB athletics hired him out of desperation because coaches passed on UB because of the low coaches salary. Looking back UB should have never fired Jim Whitesell at least he had a clue how to coach. I wouldn’t hire Jim Ward I mean George Halcovage as a high school basketball coach he is a disaster like the 1976-77 Buffalo Bills head coach Jim Ringo or 1994 Buffalo Bisons manager Doc Edwards who were horrible head coaches and managers. George Halcovage is the new Jim Ward of UB Bulls basketball what a disaster for UB athletics in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I realize this is one game so not reading too much into this game by itself.  Here is a snapshot of some key stats for this team.

Turnover rate

Screenshot_20231206-0609392.thumb.png.3bc1c26792c440c87ed06ddd9f44a524.png

There is still room for improvement here but for second straight game, more in line with D1 average.

Defensive Efficiency

Screenshot_20231206-0611592.thumb.png.1d9e0b1933dca7116a8dffb84a860106.png

Again room for improvement, but I felt like last night, the team was very active on defense.  Hoping that energy / effort level continues for remainder of the season. 

3pt %

Screenshots_2023-12-06-06-23-47.thumb.png.54cb367fe6ac6b939aea190e6a594474.png

Us fans were expecting good things with respect to 3pt shooting. So far team is well below D1 average.  Improvement here would be another good sign.

Edited by DocCas86

I know their record stinks but I'm giving the Bulls MBB team a moral victory.  It's the first time I've really watched them this season, and i was very impressed with the athleticism on this club.  These guys are fast and can jump out of the building.  Obviously Butler has some size and higher rated recruits but I did not think Buffalo looked outclassed at all.  Unless that game was an anomaly,  I would expect the Bulls to start winning some MAC games.

I maintain my position, one dry spell where the lead opens from 6 to 20, but other than that a very tight game. Brought it to within 5 with the ball late in the game, something to be proud of, the ending difference of 13 was just from giving Butler points while desperately trying to sink late shots, was really closer than that. Yes it’s another loss, but look at our last few games. We’ve played meaningful basketball late in the game against 3 good teams. Compare that to the first few games. We’re still without Adams and don’t have a full roster. Not sure what to think about Fulcher, takes a lot of bad shots but is a good player. Overall I’m optimistic that we can win a couple games and then improve a lot next season with new recruits (ideally quality from the portal for immediate impact). Im excited, go bulls. 

1 minute ago, Blue03 said:

I maintain my position, one dry spell where the lead opens from 6 to 20, but other than that a very tight game. Brought it to within 5 with the ball late in the game, something to be proud of, the ending difference of 13 was just from giving Butler points while desperately trying to sink late shots, was really closer than that. Yes it’s another loss, but look at our last few games. We’ve played meaningful basketball late in the game against 3 good teams. Compare that to the first few games. We’re still without Adams and don’t have a full roster. Not sure what to think about Fulcher, takes a lot of bad shots but is a good player. Overall I’m optimistic that we can win a couple games and then improve a lot next season with new recruits (ideally quality from the portal for immediate impact). Im excited, go bulls. 

And while in that dry spell, when we were like 0-10 from the arc, if even just a couple went in we’d be looking at a lead late in the game and maybe a win. Any given day

Edited by Blue03

It was that first four or five minutes of the second half where butler decided to speed everything up and UB wasn't ready for it

In that time UB reverted back to one on one basketball where everyone tries to do everything themselves and they get lost with their defensive assignments (seems to happen as the players get tired, players don't move as much offensively and try/hope to pass guys off to other tired guys defensively)

10 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Wasn't able to watch, but glad to catch up from everyone's comments. Sounds like an encouraging loss. Saturday should be a winnable one. 

3’s wouldn’t fall in the first 3/4 and we slipped behind after a good fight. Then we battled back and played well. Still taking bad shots but they look fiery

10 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

3’s wouldn’t fall in the first 3/4 and we slipped behind after a good fight. Then we battled back and played well. Still taking bad shots but they look fiery

I saw that we were 0/14 from deep at one point. The talent level is still rough imo so fire is the bare minimum that we should be getting.

Did anyone stand out wrt to fire, good or bad? What did McVeigh look like? 

4 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I saw that we were 0/14 from deep at one point. The talent level is still rough imo so fire is the bare minimum that we should be getting.

Did anyone stand out wrt to fire, good or bad? What did McVeigh look like? 

McVeigh looked pretty good, especially the second half. He was active and moving around. Hit a couple nice jumpers, had a really nice putback in the lane off an airball. He looks to be gaining confidence. I think with him, Sabol and Boldin, they could be really good sophmores and beyond. Kanye Jones was lightning in the first half, disappeared a bit in second. I would like to see Joe Smith more involved like he was the first few games, he seems to be reverting back to last year's version. Sy Chapman had a nice game and I think he was better when he was part of the activity not the entire activity. Getting Adams back now that they young guys have gotten a lot of PT will be great. I think we are 9 deep at this point.

• Like 1