Jump to content
Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hurley

Ranking Status/Predictions

Recommended Posts

Just now, Jeseph said:

What a collapse by Northwestern, that one would have been nice

Yes, I watched. They suck. Iowa wins by 1 over them, we win by 14, but they'll still be ranked higher than us, even though we're higher than them in the NET and right next to them in KenPom (prior to the NW game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't comment on the last time I saw a team that I was rooting for pull that kind of choke job...

0/2 (Rothstein, Borges) so far, but neither ranked us last week.  Seth Davis is posting his ballot at 9.

Not on Seth Davis' ballot, but his ranking of Cincinnati at 18 could hurt us.

NR to 25 on Osterman's ballot (who bumped Iowa up from 20 to 15).

Edited by rma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rma said:

I won't comment on the last time I saw a team that I was rooting for pull that kind of choke job...

0/2 (Rothstein, Borges) so far, but neither ranked us last week.  Seth Davis is posting his ballot at 9.

Not on Seth Davis' ballot, but his ranking of Cincinnati at 18 could hurt us.

Cincinnati at 18 is a joke, but whatever. Hopefully Couch keeps us at like 12 or so, and a many others keep us around 20-25 to give us enough points to stay in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Yes, I watched. They suck. Iowa wins by 1 over them, we win by 14, but they'll still be ranked higher than us, even though we're higher than them in the NET and right next to them in KenPom (prior to the NW game).

Just jumped Iowa in Kenpom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we stay ranked. But it means absolutely nothing at this point. We need to start playing ball the way we’re capable. One game at a time. Start Tuesday with a convincing win against the zippies. We need to play Team D like we did the last 5 minutes of the 1st and first 10 of the second half yesterday. Few turnovers and crash the boards. We do that we win by 15-20. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, UB85 said:

I think we stay ranked. But it means absolutely nothing at this point. We need to start playing ball the way we’re capable. One game at a time. Start Tuesday with a convincing win against the zippies. We need to play Team D like we did the last 5 minutes of the 1st and first 10 of the second half yesterday. Few turnovers and crash the boards. We do that we win by 15-20. 

Yep, it’s a vanity metric at this point. Get back to the way we played earlier this season and start winning the games we should win (every remaining conference game).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

 

Yep, it’s a vanity metric at this point. Get back to the way we played earlier this season and start winning the games we should win (every remaining conference game).

Wasn't the beginning of the season when people were saying that we have to play better and they when we do we will be much better?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Wasn't the beginning of the season when people were saying that we have to play better and they when we do we will be much better?

Sure. They had room for improvement then as well but they’ve played poorly for a stretch...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is still only 10 teams with 3 or fewer losses. UB is one of them.

9 of them are currently ranked, outside of UNCG (who doesn't have a single win and is Kenpom 82nd). 

UB (24th) has a better KenPom than Cincy, Kansas State, Marquette, Mississippi State, and Iowa.

UB (21st)  has a better NET than Cincy, Kansas State, Maryland, and Iowa, Florida State, and Mississippi State. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big 4 Update: UB primed for HUGE week (Akron, Toledo)

There shouldn’t be too much movement at the bottom of the polls this week. The only team that might’ve played their way into the rankings is Kansas State following their victory over Kansas.

Outside of the Wildcats potentially entering the rankings, things should look pretty similar surrounding for the Bulls in my opinion.

I’m projecting Buffalo to be ranked 23rd in the AP Poll once again next week.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, being ranked has been awesome, it's given us a lot of visibility and I think will definer help us in recruiting, but the ranking means nothing to me anymore. If our boys play big, that's all I care about. I want to see the team we started this season with. I want to see us taking down everybody by 10+ and leaving no doubt that we are as good as people think.

We've fallen into a slump, which is fine, but to prove we are a late March team, we need to pull ourselves out of this. Ranking or not, we are a late March team. We just need to show it again.

Edited by ubmae86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ubmae86 said:

Honestly, being ranked has been awesome, it's given us a lot of visibility and I think will definer help us in recruiting, but the ranking means nothing to me anymore. 

Yup, it was fun being ranked all year. Extremely fun, but whether they are 23 or 26 this week, the 2 games in front of us and how we look are what matters.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

Yup, it was fun being ranked all year. Extremely fun, but whether they are 23 or 26 this week, the 2 games in front of us and how we look are what matters.

Yes...I mean, as we have seen (and already know about the MAC), winning on the road is hard and...there are good teams in this league that can beat you on any given night.

I watched that Akron beat down last year.  The game started with an 11 - 0 UB run.  Akron made it 11 - 2 and that was the closest they got the entire game.  Pretty much it was close to 30 minutes of garbage time.  It was early in the conference season, so Akron certainly had a lot of growing to do (and they have).  But I doubt they have forgotten that game from last year -- it was embarrassing to watch if you were a Zips fan.

Akron plays tough at home and we are going to have to grind this one out.  I don't believe we will make it into the 70s in this game, so this will revert to being a typical UB/Akron game on the road (last year was an aberration).  When the games are tough, grind-it-out affairs, foul shooting becomes so important.  

Our guys are going to be in for a battle on Tuesday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would also be correct if they said the first time an AP ranked men’s basketball team has played in the JAR since 06-07. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ubmae86 said:

Honestly, being ranked has been awesome, it's given us a lot of visibility and I think will definer help us in recruiting, but the ranking means nothing to me anymore. If our boys play big, that's all I care about. I want to see the team we started this season with. I want to see us taking down everybody by 10+ and leaving no doubt that we are as good as people think.

We've fallen into a slump, which is fine, but to prove we are a late March team, we need to pull ourselves out of this. Ranking or not, we are a late March team. We just need to show it again.

Agree that it has been awesome and fun for all involved being ranked and with all the national exposure. Whether ranked or not all the MAC games are important and are a war. The main thing is to finish in first place and have the momentum going into Cleveland. The concern is Dontay’s ankle, CJ’s shoulder, Perkins mental state, Harris shooting woes and Jordan’s foul shooting. Defense will always be the key and of course you never know what the officiating will be on any given night. Last year Clark was the main ingredient who took a lot of presssure off the other players. Have confidence in the medical staff and the coaches to get all the players in the right mental state. Go Bulls!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Well there you go. For everyone obsessed with rankings it is now do or die. Win two stray in. Lose one we're out.

Hopefully the guys will put aside all distractions and play the defense they're capable of, rebound tenaciously, limit turnovers and get everyone playing well at the same time. Perhaps a tall order given how the last number of games have gone. But they can and I expect them to. If so watch out MAC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree we should just focus on playing well I admit I am one of those who is obsessed with the rankings lol. I think it still means a lot for recruiting and overall improvement of the program to see us ranked this long. Glad to see us still in it and there was a pretty decent drop off behind us to get to Cincinnati.

Totally agree though this is 1 loss and out week but if we can win both thats a Q2 and q1 win so I would think we would make a good jump. There’s also a ton of games this week that could really pave a way for us to make a big jump. Lots of upper 20+ teams with tough games. But being at 25 literally anyone’s loss is good haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nice to remain in the Top-25 for the UB Bulls brand and also i feel it solidifies their at-large chances.  If/when they fall out of the Top-25, I think all bets are off and they will likely have to win the MAC Tourney.   UB will have a huge bullseye on their backs,,,,they already do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being in the top top 25 is absolutely and outrageously fantastic. However, the problem is with too much focus on it, you lose sight of what got them here. As John Wooden said, "failing to prepare, is preparing to fail." The problem with the hoopla around being top 25, is that it is easy to forget what type of play and work ethic got you there. That's why I keep harping on the quality of our play and preparation to play rather than being in or remaining in the top 25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Being in the top top 25 is absolutely and outrageously fantastic. However, the problem is with too much focus on it, you lose sight of what got them here. As John Wooden said, "failing to prepare, is preparing to fail." The problem with the hoopla around being top 25, is that it is easy to forget what type of play and work ethic got you there. That's why I keep harping on the quality of our play and preparation to play rather than being in or remaining in the top 25.

An old supervisor of mine used to say "Proper planning prevents piss-poor performance." I think we can just swap planning with practice haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×