Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Reflecting On The 2023/2024 Men's Season And Discussing The Future.

46 minutes ago, Chet said:

If you could only choose one…..start fresh with a new basketball coach or new AD?? 

AD for sure, our last few AD's either improved the department or maintained success. Ever since Alnutt took over it feels like things are going in the other direction.

38 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

AD has to go first imo. He got handed MAC powerhouses in all 3 revenue sports and the nicest thing you can say about his hires since is that WBB hasn't completely fallen off a cliff

What specifically has the AD done to be considered bad?

lack of nil?

bad football and mbb hires?

12 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

lack of nil?

The thing that bothered me most about the AD was the pretty obvious lack of preparation when it came time to replace Oats.  I have outlined this more in other threads.   NIL part, obviously.   But other things.  I mean, we have had some very successful ADs.  Manuel, White, Greene.  Heck, having Manuel and White back-to-back was pretty amazing for a school like Buffalo.

So this AD pales in comparison.  Even Greene went to Auburn and is now back in Oxford.

I would be okay in keeping GH3 for another two years if we could start over (now) with a new AD.  

28 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

lack of nil?

I'm not going to pretend that I know how to run an athletic department, but we're only a handful of years removed from the top 25 MBB and football teams and they may as well have never happened. All ties to those teams have been severed and all the fan momentum is gone. The students who were on campus for the good teams are gone. We're exactly where we were 10 years ago (well, 10 years ago we won 19 MBB games). We didn't find our way into a better conference as things have continued to shift (which I think is the true floor raiser for an athletic department). We're behind on the NIL front. I just don't know what Mark Alnutt has done to improve the department and staying stagnant is the same as falling behind as far as I'm concerned. I don't really have a good answer on how things should have gone differently, that's above my pay grade, but there have been ADs that found ways to advance UB's athletic programs.

Edited by trueblue32

17 hours ago, UB92 said:

The thing that bothered me most about the AD was the pretty obvious lack of preparation when it came time to replace Oats.  I have outlined this more in other threads.   NIL part, obviously.   But other things.  I mean, we have had some very successful ADs.  Manuel, White, Greene.  Heck, having Manuel and White back-to-back was pretty amazing for a school like Buffalo.

So this AD pales in comparison.  Even Greene went to Auburn and is now back in Oxford.

I would be okay in keeping GH3 for another two years if we could start over (now) with a new AD.  

There's a concern that staff complacency and union protections make it difficult for Alnutt to address underperformance. Some staff members who predate DW and arrived during his tenure seem content to ride things out until retirement. This lack of urgency might explain why UB appears unprepared for the new NIL landscape.

Alnutt's contract runs until 2026. If the current trajectory continues, UB's athletic department could fall so far behind that competing at the highest level might become a distant dream.  It's true that not many ADs get the chance to hire two head coaches, two for football and two for basketball, and have both hires underperform. Hopefully, a third coaching search won't be necessary before 2026.

Edited by TheCommish

Excellent news. He felt like kind of a lame duck leftover from the failed roster build last year. His skills disappeared at some point between Maryland and here.

Three open roster spots now for a PG, a big, and a dealer's choice (another wingy big imo).

Edited by MuchMany

12 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Excellent news. He felt like kind of a lame duck leftover from the failed roster build last year. His skills disappeared at some point between Maryland and here.

Three open roster spots now for a PG, a big, and a dealer's choice (another wingy big imo).

Didn't think he would enter, but does open another scholarship to tweak/change over the roster further 

11 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Didn't think he would enter, but does open another scholarship to tweak/change over the roster further 

I was 50/50 if he would enter. I’m perfectly fine with it and I have a feeling the staff encouraged these portal additions. I don’t believe GH3 envisioned any of these guys as building blocks moving forward.

19 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Maybe they got three senior transfers coming

Personally, I'm not worried about seniors. I would rather get juniors that we can help build for a couple years and help mentor the young guys.

The reality is, we may just end up with Sabol, AJ, McVeigh and Wilson. That may be our core and I saw improvement from all of them (AJs injury was unfortunate, but I think he has a good ceiling).

I think Fulcher and Zaakir are 50/50 for returning. Zaakir has been thru a lot here from the previous staff, coaching change, injuries, etc. He may just need a reset and I wouldn't blame him.

I would rather have a full clean slate, no holdovers, get the guys in that the staff wants and put their system in place 100%. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. I would much rather have that than this Frankenstein we had this year, where it was clear not everyone was working off the same sheet of music. We can be successful with the right system, get some NIL in place.

We have to remember, Nate Oats left 5 years ago (that was our heyday), look at what has changed since then. His model is going to be really hard to replicated with the current transfer rules, NIL, etc. Would we have been able to keep CJ and Perkins? Maybe they like Oats that much they wouldn't have left, I don't know.

We do need to rally behind the group and do what we can and if we have the ability to build a comparable NIL package to other mid-majors we should be peers with, then we need to. If NIL had been around when we knocked off Arizona, don't you think we would have pulled one together pretty damn quick when the feelings were high? It wasn't, I don't think JW pushed it when it became a thing. I heard that GH3 wanted to get one going when he first got hired, but it really didn't get legs until Lembo started. We can lament the lateness, but now that it's here, we need to get on board or get left behind.

**END OF RANT**

• Like 1

Not worried about seniors either, just thought it was interesting that the entire class has cleared out. However, experience has correlated with success in the covid era especially for mid-majors.

I agree that guys with two years of eligibility are ideal to fill two of the three open spots. We know we need one scholarship to free up after next season to fit Quintin Cooper '25 (our best recruit yet under GH3). Odds are one or more will transfer out after next season anyway, but I'd bet we bring in at least one senior now to guarantee that spot opens up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Personally, I'm not worried about seniors. I would rather get juniors that we can help build for a couple years and help mentor the young guys.

The reality is, we may just end up with Sabol, AJ, McVeigh and Wilson. That may be our core and I saw improvement from all of them (AJs injury was unfortunate, but I think he has a good ceiling).

I think Fulcher and Zaakir are 50/50 for returning. Zaakir has been thru a lot here from the previous staff, coaching change, injuries, etc. He may just need a reset and I wouldn't blame him.

I would rather have a full clean slate, no holdovers, get the guys in that the staff wants and put their system in place 100%. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. I would much rather have that than this Frankenstein we had this year, where it was clear not everyone was working off the same sheet of music. We can be successful with the right system, get some NIL in place.

We have to remember, Nate Oats left 5 years ago (that was our heyday), look at what has changed since then. His model is going to be really hard to replicated with the current transfer rules, NIL, etc. Would we have been able to keep CJ and Perkins? Maybe they like Oats that much they wouldn't have left, I don't know.

We do need to rally behind the group and do what we can and if we have the ability to build a comparable NIL package to other mid-majors we should be peers with, then we need to. If NIL had been around when we knocked off Arizona, don't you think we would have pulled one together pretty damn quick when the feelings were high? It wasn't, I don't think JW pushed it when it became a thing. I heard that GH3 wanted to get one going when he first got hired, but it really didn't get legs until Lembo started. We can lament the lateness, but now that it's here, we need to get on board or get left behind.

**END OF RANT**

Seniors won't make or break a season but I think the staff can find upper class men that would fit their system and not hold back any development of the under classmen

I like how the team is being built with freshman from the ground up, put in the tough time the first couple seasons and reap the benefits of it later. Making team management easier down the line

It hasn't been optimal, frankly it's been worse case scenario in my opinion. They need upper classmen with experience or they will be staring another four win team in the face and not being able to see the a third season 

14 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Seniors won't make or break a season but I think the staff can find upper class men that would fit their system and not hold back any development of the under classmen

I like how the team is being built with freshman from the ground up, put in the tough time the first couple seasons and reap the benefits of it later. Making team management easier down the line

It hasn't been optimal, frankly it's been worse case scenario in my opinion. They need upper classmen with experience or they will be staring another four win team in the face and not being able to see the a third season 

Don't disagree, but they have to be the right upperclassmen. They cannot be selfish me-first players, they need to buy in to whatever the offensive and defensive gameplan/vision is so they can actually help develop the young guys. That's what I'm hoping for from Noah and maybe a couple other guys.

17 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

If the players stay for 4 years, they'll be in the minority of most players in the ncaa of recent history. Most players are at 2-3 by the time their time is up. I would love to know the statistic in D1 basketball of those players who exhausted their eligibility this season. What % were at only 1 school, versus 2, 3+? I'd wager that the "1 school" is less than 20% and "3+" is equal or more than the "1". If that is the case, it's an utter joke of a system.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eyjee said:

Definitely thought we were Graham's third transfer and thought he was stuck here. No crocodile tears for a very underwhelming player. Best of luck to him.

We were. Unlimited transfers now. All eligible right away. 

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

We were. Unlimited transfers now. All eligible right away. 

Don't you need a waiver on starting on 3? (like what happened with Ali x2 this year?) So theoretically Graham is taking a risk that he won't even get to play next year.

Yeesh.

Just now, eyjee said:

Don't you need a waiver on starting on 3? (like what happened with Ali x2 this year?) So theoretically Graham is taking a risk that he won't even get to play next year.

Yeesh.

No, when Graham was granted the ability to play this season, basically the court ruling said there can't be transfer sit-outs anymore so anyone can go anywhere, anytime regardless of previous transfers or what year you are in. It's currently the wild west. Maybe it will change, but it will be a court ruling and I'm sure everyone already in the portal will be protected.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

No, when Graham was granted the ability to play this season, basically the court ruling said there can't be transfer sit-outs anymore so anyone can go anywhere, anytime regardless of previous transfers or what year you are in. It's currently the wild west. Maybe it will change, but it will be a court ruling and I'm sure everyone already in the portal will be protected.

As I've said in an earlier post, the whole system is a joke. "Student athlete" should be removed for this nonsense.  If you're at a new school every year, how many of the classes/credits go with them (especially year after year)? Not all schools accept classes from other schools. Maybe there is some sort of wink and nod by the ncaa to allow all of the classes to transfer, but this is nothing more than a complete farce at this point.

Just now, skrabukes said:

As I've said in an earlier post, the whole system is a joke. "Student athlete" should be removed for this nonsense.  If you're at a new school every year, how many of the classes/credits go with them (especially year after year)? Not all schools accept classes from other schools. Maybe there is some sort of wink and nod by the ncaa to allow all of the classes to transfer, but this is nothing more than a complete farce at this point.

Absolutely, student is the furthest thing from any of this. Is really just minor league basketball with salaries ranging from $0 to millions of dollars, but nobody really knows. Would it wrong for the NIL values to be made public? One of the arguments I heard is that the players are employees, want to unionize, etc. it would be nice to know what reality is since some guys may think they are going to get $100k and end up with coupons to Buffalo Wild Wings instead