Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

New NCAA Transfer Rule - The Rich Get Richer

Jeseph

On 10/13/2020 at 4:32 PM, UBlearns said:

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.  Tough to see much benefit in this for UB, or G5 schools in general.

That said, I've never really understood the transfer limitations anyway - it's like you're forcing an 18-21 year-old into a school with limited freedom of movement.  This feels more fair to the players.

How does the extra year of eligibility impact recruiting, if at all?  By my count there are four seniors who were going to use their last year of eligibility this year.  If, for example they all stay, do we not have any scholarships to add?  I understand that there may be transfers and those who move on, but trying to understand how this works.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

How does the extra year of eligibility impact recruiting, if at all?  By my count there are four seniors who were going to use their last year of eligibility this year.  If, for example they all stay, do we not have any scholarships to add?  I understand that there may be transfers and those who move on, but trying to understand how this works.

It creates major issues.  The NCAA I believe has not said anything about the maximum scholarships allowed.  If they do not do something for next year schools will have to make s decision about keeping a player on roster for an extra year or bringing in a new freshman.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Erie County said:

The second a player gets good enough, they'll jet for power 5 basketball. The power 5 won't even need to take risks recruiting anymore, we will be a breeding ground for power programs, and to a greater extent bad MAC schools. 

The only thing keeping someone around was that there was no reason to sit 1 to play 1 or 2

Yup.  The MAC is about to become a developmental league for the Big Ten.  

The Big Ten will recruit high school players that can play right away.  No more will they recruit any three stars with potential.  They will recruit four and five stars only.  And then poach three stars from the MAC after they show they can play.

10 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

It creates major issues.  The NCAA I believe has not said anything about the maximum scholarships allowed.  If they do not do something for next year schools will have to make s decision about keeping a player on roster for an extra year or bringing in a new freshman.

They have not said yet but the spring sport model might end up applying.

That would mean that current seniors who return won't count against next year's scholarship limit.  But if the senior goes to another school, they will count against the new school's limit.

Which would mean programs with a lot of seniors might be the teams that benefit the most.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2020 at 10:34 PM, trueblue32 said:

Extra year of eligibility was passed today for winter athletes.  To me the more interesting UB related implication is if it prompts Brewton to decide to suit up this year since he won't be burning his last year of eligibility.  Hopefully they were working in the background on a waiver for this possibility if he does.

Brewton's Instagram shows that he traveled with the team to Mohegan Sun so he must be eligible. I also wouldn't think they'd bring him to an event where one COVID positive would DQ the whole team if they weren't planning to play him. That would be a big addition this year

59 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Brewton's Instagram shows that he traveled with the team to Mohegan Sun so he must be eligible. I also wouldn't think they'd bring him to an event where one COVID positive would DQ the whole team if they weren't planning to play him. That would be a big addition this year

Brewton is amazing saw him play in person once, only problem of his is that if he gets hot, he never passes. Guy can shoot from deep like crazy

Worth noting as well, Malik has been very optimistic lately and the team has stood by his side through the whole ordeal. He will have his chance to prove his innocence/self defense claim and if found that he acted in self defense fully expect him to be re-rostered as well