Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

New NCAA Transfer Rule - The Rich Get Richer

Jeseph

15 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Could this possibly help us? If a player in a major conference doesn't get any playing time. 

No, it won't help.  

Sure, the players from major conferences that sit the bench will transfer to the MAC.

But the star players in the MAC will bolt for better conferences.  Why wouldn't you?  There is literally no reason not to anymore.   

Would you rather retain your players that could actually play in the Big Ten or would you rather pick up more players that couldn't play in the Big Ten?  That's really the question.

Just now, Gxtrex said:

That is definitely true.  But to counter that, we got Mballa who couldn't play in the Big 12 clearly can in the MAC.  So it goes both ways

(1) You're assuming we get him again.  The whole game changes.  It is just as likely he ends up at UMass, Rhode Island, or some other school now.  Some schools passed on him because they didn't have a scholarship open.  Other schools passed on him because they thought he would have to sit a year and didn't want to burn a scholarship for a year.  We were fine with spending a scholarship on him to sit the bench because he was better than what we could expect to recruit.  So it was an investment.  When his waiver came through it was even better.  But if there is no waiver, then other schools will be interested in him.

(2) Why would Graves stay at Buffalo?  There would literally be 200 schools willing to offer him a spot to play.  And many of those would have better facilities, better player development, better TV deals, larger crowds.  These players don't dream of playing in the MAC.  The program will be completely changed.  It won't be about developing players and building a cohesive team.  It will be about recruiting players (mainly through transfers). 

Expect to start each season without knowing many of the players on the roster and not having a clue how they all fit together.

This doesn't benefit programs like UB and I expect it to hurt the MAC overall too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

(1) You're assuming we get him again.  The whole game changes.  It is just as likely he ends up at UMass, Rhode Island, or some other school now.  Some schools passed on him because they didn't have a scholarship open.  Other schools passed on him because they thought he would have to sit a year and didn't want to burn a scholarship for a year.  We were fine with spending a scholarship on him to sit the bench because he was better than what we could expect to recruit.  So it was an investment.  When his waiver came through it was even better.  But if there is no waiver, then other schools will be interested in him.

(2) Why would Graves stay at Buffalo?  There would literally be 200 schools willing to offer him a spot to play.  And many of those would have better facilities, better player development, better TV deals, larger crowds.  These players don't dream of playing in the MAC.  The program will be completely changed.  It won't be about developing players and building a cohesive team.  It will be about recruiting players (mainly through transfers). 

Expect to start each season without knowing many of the players on the roster and not having a clue how they all fit together.

This doesn't benefit programs like UB and I expect it to hurt the MAC overall too.

I see your points.  Unfortunately there is nothing we can do other than to see how it plays out.  They need to inform the school by May 1st if they intend to transfer.

At the end of the day kids want to play in march madness, give them the opportunity to play in that tournament and they will play at your school. It doesn't matter which conference they play in

I would guess that the first couple years there will be a lot of movement before settling down

The keys to maintaining at a mid major and what ub has built thus far will be a willingness to adapt, try new things, run a player friendly system and of course win. Do all that ub won't see much of a change

This is just one milestone in the step towards a (formal) two-tier system.

P5 (or whatever it is called) and everyone else.  The gap between G5 and the lower divisions has just decreased, while the gap between P5 and everyone else has just gotten bigger.

So...the question is...what does UB become?   Will we get to P6 (with the AAC)?  Those are the things I think about.    But it is true what others have written here -- free agency has come to the NCAA.  

UB needs to ramp up their recruiting staff fast.  Now a guy you recruited as a HS sophomore may help out your team as a college senior...gotta keep that relationship going strong for all those years.

3 hours ago, UB92 said:

This is just one milestone in the step towards a (formal) two-tier system.

P5 (or whatever it is called) and everyone else.  The gap between G5 and the lower divisions has just decreased, while the gap between P5 and everyone else has just gotten bigger.

So...the question is...what does UB become?   Will we get to P6 (with the AAC)?  Those are the things I think about.    But it is true what others have written here -- free agency has come to the NCAA.  

UB needs to ramp up their recruiting staff fast.  Now a guy you recruited as a HS sophomore may help out your team as a college senior...gotta keep that relationship going strong for all those years.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.  Tough to see much benefit in this for UB, or G5 schools in general.

That said, I've never really understood the transfer limitations anyway - it's like you're forcing an 18-21 year-old into a school with limited freedom of movement.  This feels more fair to the players.

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

There will always be players who want to be “the guy.” Why give up being the star of a mid major to coming off the bench in the Big 12?

Star caliber mid major players might not want to transfer up if they aren't guaranteed a starting roll. 

4 hours ago, UBlearns said:

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.  Tough to see much benefit in this for UB, or G5 schools in general.

That said, I've never really understood the transfer limitations anyway - it's like you're forcing an 18-21 year-old into a school with limited freedom of movement.  This feels more fair to the players.

I agree that it is fairer to the players. 

Perhaps it is an opportunity to rethink the way the postseason tournaments are populated / viewed.  Just an off the top of my head example - perhaps you have Tier I championship that is with 48 teams from top six conferences (B12, B10, BE, SEC, ACC, P12) and remaining 16 (strictly at large bids - no automatic seeds) from other conferences.  

Then you rebrand/ reimagine the NIT with Tier II championship that has 56 teams from other than top six and eight at large bids to top conference teams.   You market it as a championship and tie it into the overall NCAA championship. It is similar to how most states have different high school champions by size of school.  Under this scenario Buffalo would make the Tier I championship in 2018-19, and would have been in the Tier II 2017-18.  The down side is they aren't in the main event, however, in 2017-18 - maybe they make a run in the tier II championship. 

Just a thought..

7 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Has anyone ever thought that part of a reason that an athlete selects a school is for academics and that are not going to school to play a sport but to learn, get a degree and a good job after graduation?

I needed a good laugh this morning!

I guess you would be correct, though.  Technically, 1% of the whole is still a part.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

I needed a good laugh this morning!

I guess you would be correct, though.  Technically, 1% of the whole is still a part.

Yea I think the great majority of players choose a school that would give them the best possible chance to play after college (g league, nba, or overseas depending on their skill level). 

19 hours ago, Tee4three said:

With paying players eventually coming as well, what are peoples thoughts on school systems like suny setting up what would amount to development systems or in simpler terms jv and varsity teams?

SUNY won't allow paying players.

We had to fight for years to get permission to give scholarships.

Just now, Dabulls said:

A bit off topic but with the new eligibility rule, Graves could have another season with us if he chooses to stay. Having him with Segu, Brewton and Robinson would make us extremely deep at PG, we’d have an a ton of big guys as well

This is true but it is also true about everyone else.  Every other school will be getting the benefit of their players coming back.

I don’t agree with the thinking that mid majors will loose all their best players to the high majors.  But, mid majors won’t be able to gain any lower level players from the high majors, because of scholarship limitations.  
It feels like a double standard being used just to fit the sky is falling narrative.  The same limitation will prevent some players from moving up too. 

I think this change will amplify the importance of recruiting and coaching at the mid major level.  Did you get the right player to begin with (players who want to be there, in their role in your program)?  And, (because there may be more frequent roster changes) how quickly can you get a group of new players to gel together?

12 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

I don’t agree with the thinking that mid majors will loose all their best players to the high majors.  But, mid majors won’t be able to gain any lower level players from the high majors, because of scholarship limitations.  
It feels like a double standard being used just to fit the sky is falling narrative.  The same limitation will prevent some players from moving up too. 

I think this change will amplify the importance of recruiting and coaching at the mid major level.  Did you get the right player to begin with (players who want to be there, in their role in your program)?  And, (because there may be more frequent roster changes) how quickly can you get a group of new players to gel together?

I agree, there are only a set amount of roster spots. If mid major players are moving up, then there are either high major players moving down or high school recruits that won’t have offers to those schools. 

11 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

This is true but it is also true about everyone else.  Every other school will be getting the benefit of their players coming back.

Extra year of eligibility was passed today for winter athletes.  To me the more interesting UB related implication is if it prompts Brewton to decide to suit up this year since he won't be burning his last year of eligibility.  Hopefully they were working in the background on a waiver for this possibility if he does.