Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

3 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

If Toledo fired TK I’d want UB to hire him ASAP. Every year they have the best group of guards in the MAC. Lack of a frontcourt recently has done them in. Make him hire someone who has a track record of identifying and developing big men. It was unfortunate that some of their best years coincided with the UB glory years but I wouldn’t fire TK

I certainly don't think he is worthy of firing, honestly, my issue with this whole conference good enough is perfectly fine with all of these schools. None of them want to be the best. They just want roll along and be relevant now and then.

The reason Hurley and Oats succeeded, they wanted to be the best, build a juggernaut and recruited to it and have kids believe it. JW was a nice guy but didn't have the killer instinct. Jury is out on GHIII, if this was a kick in the ass season, maybe things will change. If the coaching staff does some soul searching, they will realize this league is ripe for the picking if they approach it correctly. 

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

I certainly don't think he is worthy of firing, honestly, my issue with this whole conference good enough is perfectly fine with all of these schools. None of them want to be the best. They just want roll along and be relevant now and then.

The reason Hurley and Oats succeeded, they wanted to be the best, build a juggernaut and recruited to it and have kids believe it. JW was a nice guy but didn't have the killer instinct. Jury is out on GHIII, if this was a kick in the ass season, maybe things will change. If the coaching staff does some soul searching, they will realize this league is ripe for the picking if they approach it correctly. 

I think what you’re saying is give me a coach who is using the mac as a stepping stone. A coach who has higher ambitions. Like a Hurley and Oats. The MAC has coaches who are newbies, retreads, ambitious or old guys who seem comfy where they are. Wide range of coaches. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I think what you’re saying is give me a coach who is using the mac as a stepping stone. A coach who has higher ambitions. Like a Hurley and Oats. The MAC has coaches who are newbies, retreads, ambitious or old guys who seem comfy where they are. Wide range of coaches. 

If we have a coach that's at UB for 13 years, I want 8-10 NCAA appearances and we are in line for an at-large every year in case we stumble in the tournament. Is that too much to ask?? 😂

But yes, I want a coach that wants more. That is how we will get out of this deadass conference. We should be headed to the American at the very least.

Edited by UBinMD
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, rma said:

We trade GH3 for Tod straight up. They need a guy that won't choke in Cleveland every year. Last I checked GH3 has never lost a game as a head coach in Cleveland.

Serious not so serious question, if Toledo doesn’t get a bid to the NIT would you rather have choked yet again like them or had the season we had lol

18 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

If we have a coach that's at UB for 13 years, I want 8-10 NCAA appearances and we are in line for an at-large every year in case we stumble in the tournament. Is that too much to ask?? 😂

But yes, I want a coach that wants more. That is how we will get out of this deadass conference. We should be headed to the American at the very least.

Agree on both counts lol.

12 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Serious not so serious question, if Toledo doesn’t get a bid to the NIT would you rather have choked yet again like them or had the season we had lol

I would be very surprised if they get in the NIT. They were a projected 15 seed in the NCAA Tournament assuming they won this conference tournament.

29 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Would I rather get the #1 seed with everyone on the roster having at least one more year of eligibility or the worst MAC team in two decades that will lose its 3 best players?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

TB32 covers this season, but if you're talking broader success I would much rather have two NCAA tournament wins, 4 tournament championships in 5 years, and be nationally ranked for nearly an entire season than hang some regular season banners and play in a second or now third rate tournament.

If you exclude 2018-19's dream team and a couple MAC Tournament Championships you get me closer to preferring Toledo's regular season success but in the end being in the NCAA tournament counts for so much in the public's eye.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Would I rather get the #1 seed with everyone on the roster having at least one more year of eligibility or the worst MAC team in two decades that will lose its 3 best players?

Yea. It was a playful question not meant to be taken seriously. Obviously success of any kind is better than 2 wins. I don’t count the win over a high school team.

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Yea. It was a playful question not meant to be taken seriously. Obviously success of any kind is better than 2 wins. I don’t count the win over a high school team.

It was 3 - CMU, Georgia Southern, and EMU. Get it straight! 😂

• Haha 1

I love everything about what just happened at the end of the half in the Akron/Miami (OH) game.

Freeman rebounds the ball 28 seconds left and immediately turns it over in a very dumb way. Miami (OH) ties the game @ 35 on a jumper. Akron brings it down the court, Freeman dunks it to end the half. 37-35. He runs towards his locker room and points at his head, bangs his chest, says "my bad" to his teammates and John Groce hugs him as he's walking off the court.

That's culture. That's an established organization. That's a senior leader on a team. Twenty-eight seconds that looks like this tells you everything you need to know about how much we're currently missing in our organization.

image.png.3f6182759e0446a29a146989384f13b2.png

27 minutes ago, eyjee said:

I love everything about what just happened at the end of the half in the Akron/Miami (OH) game.

Freeman rebounds the ball 28 seconds left and immediately turns it over in a very dumb way. Miami (OH) ties the game @ 35 on a jumper. Akron brings it down the court, Freeman dunks it to end the half. 37-35. He runs towards his locker room and points at his head, bangs his chest, says "my bad" to his teammates and John Groce hugs him as he's walking off the court.

That's culture. That's an established organization. That's a senior leader on a team. Twenty-eight seconds that looks like this tells you everything you need to know about how much we're currently missing in our organization.

image.png.3f6182759e0446a29a146989384f13b2.png

John Groce is still a douche.

On 3/8/2024 at 11:15 PM, Bluebird96 said:

Toledo won tonight and Akron lost so Toledo takes the 1 seed.  Will this be the Rockets’ year to represent the MAC at the Big Dance?  I’m betting on no. Akron still feels like the favorite. 

Kent could be dangerous as the 8 seed, though they lost handily to Toledo tonight.

No surprise, Akron pulled away after a shaky 1st half.

Given Toledo’s history of choking and Akron’s status as the pre-season favorite to win the MAC, I realize it wasn’t going too far out on a limb to post the above last week.  So now I’ll go further out on that limb and predict a Kent-Akron final 😂

Time was eventually called on Reggie here not because he didn't have competitive teams but because those teams (for various reasons in those games that we don't need to re-live) couldn't get over that hump and raise that trophy.  Every year I say Kowalczyk's pink slip is already filled out, they just need to sign and date it.  I absolutely agree that he's a good coach who has built a program that yearly fields good teams. But he hasn't won a thing, unless you want to count the regular season.  They're stuck - you'd be crazy to get rid of him, but is it EVER going to go anywhere further?  I'll say this from our experience here - if you make that change, to say that "good" hasn't been good enough (and I get it), it has to be someone who's clearly better.  And the pressure is on that person right from the start - they're inheriting a ready made contender and they need to win ASAP.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

Time was eventually called on Reggie here not because he didn't have competitive teams but because those teams (for various reasons in those games that we don't need to re-live) couldn't get over that hump and raise that trophy.  Every year I say Kowalczyk's pink slip is already filled out, they just need to sign and date it.  I absolutely agree that he's a good coach who has built a program that yearly fields good teams. But he hasn't won a thing, unless you want to count the regular season.  They're stuck - you'd be crazy to get rid of him, but is it EVER going to go anywhere further?  I'll say this from our experience here - if you make that change, to say that "good" hasn't been good enough (and I get it), it has to be someone who's clearly better.  And the pressure is on that person right from the start - they're inheriting a ready made contender and they need to win ASAP.

Boom!

3 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

No surprise, Akron pulled away after a shaky 1st half.

Given Toledo’s history of choking and Akron’s status as the pre-season favorite to win the MAC, I realize it wasn’t going too far out on a limb to post the above last week.  So now I’ll go further out on that limb and predict a Kent-Akron final 😂

I think tomorrow's game between Akron and Ohio will produce the conference winner as they are the two best teams remaining. 

6 hours ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

All-Ohio semis, the MAC's wet dream. Used to be our job to crash that party. Definitely can't count on the directional Michigans to do it.

They should get rid of the rest of us and have an Ohio league, they can take their school buses everywhere and never leave the state! They can do OOC at Youngstown, Cleveland St, Ohio St (Annual ass whooping), maybe Cincinnati every now and then if they want to get crazy and go south.

Edited by UBinMD
  • Haha 1