Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach Out - Mo Linguist

Bill

So I just completed my interview and I’ll discuss what he said about the current situation. He is currently a special teams player. 

on new coaching staff: “he (linguist) seems like he knows what he’s doing. Only time will tell because it’s so early. Once summer ball comes around we’ll have a good idea. I can say that he’s a really supportive and personable coach, he came in and talked with me one on one about the season. He did the same with the others as well.” 

on portal players: “we are really thin on the line, losing Novitsky and Gall is going to hurt. I believe Eddie is going too. Losing Wilson is going to be rough because we do not have much depth at WR. I believe he’s talking to guys in the portal but a few of them are getting some pretty decent offers elsewhere. It’s going to be tough to pull in some decent transfers at WR but at line I believe we can find some people” 

On season outlook: “well... I really can’t tell you because who knows who might develop. If we had the same team as before (Lance’s departure) I’d tell you we were going to be first in the MAC and might have a shot at beating Nebraska and Coastal. Now while I don’t want to say we’re not confident... it’s going to be a lot tougher on us, especially if we have a thin line (offensively). It might take a year or so for us to totally rebuild to what we were last season. But like I said, I’ll have a better answer for you as the team comes to shape. It’s going to be tough to learn whole new systems of play. Offense will probably be similar but defensively it’s going to be a pretty big learning curve” 

I decided to leave out the players name but he will be returning next season. He is also confident the special teams players will stay, expects others to test the portal  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

So I just completed my interview and I’ll discuss what he said about the current situation. He is currently a special teams player. 

on new coaching staff: “he (linguist) seems like he knows what he’s doing. Only time will tell because it’s so early. Once summer ball comes around we’ll have a good idea. I can say that he’s a really supportive and personable coach, he came in and talked with me one on one about the season. He did the same with the others as well.” 

on portal players: “we are really thin on the line, losing Novitsky and Gall is going to hurt. I believe Eddie is going too. Losing Wilson is going to be rough because we do not have much depth at WR. I believe he’s talking to guys in the portal but a few of them are getting some pretty decent offers elsewhere. It’s going to be tough to pull in some decent transfers at WR but at line I believe we can find some people” 

On season outlook: “well... I really can’t tell you because who knows who might develop. If we had the same team as before (Lance’s departure) I’d tell you we were going to be first in the MAC and might have a shot at beating Nebraska and Coastal. Now while I don’t want to say we’re not confident... it’s going to be a lot tougher on us, especially if we have a thin line (offensively). It might take a year or so for us to totally rebuild to what we were last season. But like I said, I’ll have a better answer for you as the team comes to shape. It’s going to be tough to learn whole new systems of play. Offense will probably be similar but defensively it’s going to be a pretty big learning curve” 

I decided to leave out the players name but he will be returning next season. He is also confident the special teams players will stay, expects others to test the portal  

Thanks for the info, but this is very disheartening coming from the inside. I don't blame the players, but the situation. Hopefully we can pickup some players to fill holes for this season and some of the young guys get their chance and run with it. The college football environment as it is currently setup screwed us hard and feel bad for the players and Coach Mo and the hill he has to climb. I'll be rooting hard for these guys (even more than normal) to overcome this and have a great year despite the challenges.

34 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

The bold tells me a lot. One he felt comfortable saying it means he still believes it. Two it tells me the coach is doing and saying the right things and now he wants to see the coach follow through

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

The bold tells me a lot. One he felt comfortable saying it means he still believes it. Two it tells me the coach is doing and saying the right things and now he wants to see the coach follow through

From what I got he’s still confident, just concerned with the players who are transferring. He discussed the possibility of Linguist having to play young or inexperienced players. It’s going to be tough to beat a team like coastal who’s returning with a lot of experience 

So why do so many players feel the need to enter the portal when there is a coaching change? If they believe they are good enough to play at a "higher level" why wouldn't they do so regardless of coaching situation? What are they afraid of...not getting time if they stay? Funny. Just seems like a big excuse to me.

I'm also sick of people making it seem like Mo should be begging and gravelling at the feet of these guys in the portal. If they're in the portal and aren't back yet, see ya. On to the next ones. Maybe the young guys will be fine but I'm pretty confident Mo will bring in guys better than those who have left.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

So why do so many players feel the need to enter the portal when there is a coaching change? If they believe they are good enough to play at a "higher level" why wouldn't they do so regardless of coaching situation? What are they afraid of...not getting time if they stay? Funny. Just seems like a big excuse to me.

I think there is a psychology to this.

There are young people.  One of the highlights of their young life is the recruiting process.  UB is not beating many good P5 teams for players out of HS.  But if they come to UB and develop, they can then attract the attention of higher-profile teams (P5)...and they get to go through the recruiting process again by entering into the portal.

Once a coach leaves, I believe the players feel shunned.  "Coach moved on to greener pastures, why not me?"  And so the stigma of leaving the team/the other players is minimized because the coach is gone, so some will enter the portal (especially those who believe they will attract P5 teams).

At least that's how I see it.  It is what it is.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, UB92 said:

I think there is a psychology to this.

There are young people.  One of the highlights of their young life is the recruiting process.  UB is not beating many good P5 teams for players out of HS.  But if they come to UB and develop, they can then attract the attention of higher-profile teams (P5)...and they get to go through the recruiting process again by entering into the portal.

Once a coach leaves, I believe the players feel shunned.  "Coach moved on to greener pastures, why not me?"  And so the stigma of leaving the team/the other players is minimized because the coach is gone, so some will enter the portal (especially those who believe they will attract P5 teams).

At least that's how I see it.  It is what it is.

A lot of these guys commit to coaches. Not just Lance but I’m commenting on Ianello. Ianello recruited and built relationships with many of the players, with him leaving it’s almost like having your friend move. I could be wrong but I see the psychology behind that

26 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

A lot of these guys commit to coaches. Not just Lance but I’m commenting on Ianello. Ianello recruited and built relationships with many of the players, with him leaving it’s almost like having your friend move. I could be wrong but I see the psychology behind that

I’m not saying this is wrong, but just playing the other side of the coin…

Even if your friend (the coach who left) is gone, surely you’ve made other friends while at school.  Wouldn’t you want to stay with them, instead of going to a new place where you don’t know anyone?

12 minutes ago, ChicagoBull said:

So are we expecting most remaining in the transfer portal to return?  Anybody else that we are adding?  Perhaps a few players from Coach Mo's previous employer?  

Haven’t heard much but I can almost guarantee we are currently recruiting transfers and trying to retain our players 

• Like 1

Looks like the coaching staff is now complete. We got Matt Stansfield from Duquesne who handled their running game, OL and TEs. They appeared to have a very good OL and the RB set school records for rushing. Looks like a good hire of w younger up and comer. We have very experienced OC and DC, with some young guys from P5 backgrounds. Looking forward to seeing how they mold our talent. I’m very excited for this group. 

The way I see it Coach Mo just needs to keep some semblance of the momentum of the UB football brand going this season. That probably means in the bush eligible conversation into November. That will enable him to get to his strong suit, recruiting, while still having some juice in the program to sell kids on.

https://theathletic.com/2565927/2021/05/20/college-football-transfer-portal-top-50-eric-gray-mckenzie-milton-and-the-most-impactful-movers-of-2021/?source=freedailyemail

Sorry that's a paywall article. But it says over 2,100 FBS players are in the portal right now! So it's not just an issue for UB. It may even prove to be an opportunity for us to get some replacements.

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

https://theathletic.com/2565927/2021/05/20/college-football-transfer-portal-top-50-eric-gray-mckenzie-milton-and-the-most-impactful-movers-of-2021/?source=freedailyemail

Sorry that's a paywall article. But it says over 2,100 FBS players are in the portal right now! So it's not just an issue for UB. It may even prove to be an opportunity for us to get some replacements.

What an insane number! Free agency is alive and well in the NCAA. Recruiting is now a 4-6 year adventure with these guys. Will become an annual ritual to keep players, especially if they play above their recruiting grade out of high school. Mid-major football May look very different in a few years. You will need to find hidden gems every single year.