Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

SIU @ #14 UB - (12/15 - 2:00pm ET)

Kevin

First off - thanks to all that showed up under the net to help make some noise today. From my brother next to me, to RMA, to chubbyhubby who stopped by at halftime.  Turns out the students and band were still around, so I don't know if we were really needed.  But it was a lot of fun to reprise an old, noisy role and I hope we raised some energy today.

I was worried by those two big guys SIU had, 24 and 33.  If they could get the ball to them inside, they were going to do some damage.  But UB's defense clamped down for the first 12-14 minutes of the first half, keeping our opponents to around a point-per-minute pace.  Perkins had a big day, effective in the ways he's usually effective.  I'm impressed by many things with this team but one of them today is how there are so many guys on a deep roster capable of stepping up.  Graves down at Bona, Perkins and Jordan today, on a day when Harris wasn't hitting.  SIU got back into this game with the combination of UB going cold from the field for a while plus hitting their foul shots each trip.  UB came out in the second half with another run and while SIU tried, they couldn't get the deficit under 8 or 9 again.  The key point being that time with 5-8 minutes to go, that was their chance to make a move and they didn't/couldn't.  UB didn't give them many good looks outside, but SIU was able to get in the lane several times in the second half.

Jordan - always good for drawing a couple charges.  He got his fourth foul a little past midway through the second half (I think), but they left him out there.  He proceeded to earn another charge, drive to the basket a few times for some big buckets.  Really stepped up today down the stretch.  He and a few others had a great reach around the hoop to hit layups around long, reaching opponents.
Perkins - cleaner in possession today, didn't fumble it like at Bona.  Hit some shots from several spots and hit his foul shots.
Segu - has a first step that's a bit quicker than we're used to, kinda like what we saw from Clark last year, the kind that makes you realize they are a higher level player.  He's getting tougher on defense too, which is what he's going to have to do to get playing time in this lineup.  Unafraid to shoot from outside when given the chance and can hit them.
Williams - showed his athleticism and has been better the past 2 games.
CJ - kind of a quiet game but maybe we're just used to him getting double digits by now that we don't notice

Credit to the community for showing up today.  The building seemed pretty close to, but not quite, full. 

Every time you make noise on defense, every time you join in some sort of 'BUFFALO' chant on offense, you inspire our team and that helps put points on the board.  It helps create a good atmosphere (as opposed to what we saw at Bona last week) that encourages more people to come to games, come to this school, and for some, play for this program.  We've continually seen teams over the past 15 years worthy of that effort, enthusiasm and support, few if any more than this group.  So get excited and enjoy every minute.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

First off - thanks to all that showed up under the net to help make some noise today. From my brother next to me, to RMA, to chubbyhubby who stopped by at halftime.  Turns out the students and band were still around, so I don't know if we were really needed.  But it was a lot of fun to reprise an old, noisy role and I hope we raised some energy today.

I was worried by those two big guys SIU had, 24 and 33.  If they could get the ball to them inside, they were going to do some damage.  But UB's defense clamped down for the first 12-14 minutes of the first half, keeping our opponents to around a point-per-minute pace.  Perkins had a big day, effective in the ways he's usually effective.  I'm impressed by many things with this team but one of them today is how there are so many guys on a deep roster capable of stepping up.  Graves down at Bona, Perkins and Jordan today, on a day when Harris wasn't hitting.  SIU got back into this game with the combination of UB going cold from the field for a while plus hitting their foul shots each trip.  UB came out in the second half with another run and while SIU tried, they couldn't get the deficit under 8 or 9 again.  The key point being that time with 5-8 minutes to go, that was their chance to make a move and they didn't/couldn't.  UB didn't give them many good looks outside, but SIU was able to get in the lane several times in the second half.

Jordan - always good for drawing a couple charges.  He got his fourth foul a little past midway through the second half (I think), but they left him out there.  He proceeded to earn another charge, drive to the basket a few times for some big buckets.  Really stepped up today down the stretch.  He and a few others had a great reach around the hoop to hit layups around long, reaching opponents.
Perkins - cleaner in possession today, didn't fumble it like at Bona.  Hit some shots from several spots and hit his foul shots.
Segu - has a first step that's a bit quicker than we're used to, kinda like what we saw from Clark last year, the kind that makes you realize they are a higher level player.  He's getting tougher on defense too, which is what he's going to have to do to get playing time in this lineup.  Unafraid to shoot from outside when given the chance and can hit them.
CJ - kind of a quiet game but maybe we're just used to him getting double digits by now that we don't notice

Credit to the community for showing up today.  The building seemed pretty close to, but not quite, full. 

Every time you make noise on defense, every time you join in some sort of 'BUFFALO' chant on offense, you inspire our team and that helps put points on the board.  It helps create a good atmosphere (as opposed to what we saw at Bona last week) that encourages more people to come to games, come to this school, and for some, play for this program.  We've continually seen teams over the past 15 years worthy of that effort, enthusiasm and support, few if any more than this group.  So get excited and enjoy every minute.

It was a good crowd. A lot of buzz in the crowd before the game and the highlights they show before the tipoff are very good and many times you see the opposing team looking up at it. I wonder how many other arenas have the same setup. Another good win but still troubling on the outside shooting especially Harris that looks like it is mentally starting to bother him. Harris is usually good on the rebounding side even when he is not scoring but he only had one rebound. I think Fletcher not playing has hurt the overall SIU chemistry. We did play a decent defensive game but SIU is very deliberate on offense taking almost all of the shot clock. They only put up 45 shots to our 62.  The positive for our team is when a couple of our players are having off games there are others who can pick up the slack. I know Nate will have the team working on breaking the zone defense that we will be seeing against Syracuse and some of the MAC teams. I heard Syracuse lost to Old Dominion in the dome!!!! Go Bulls!!!!!  

2 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

A bunch of us were on the other end zone because the studentless student section was full. 

That first home game against Toledo should be roaring.  I think that will be UB's biggest remaining home game. 

Made it unscathed to our biggest week of the regular season.  What an incredible season and this team just keeps finding different ways to win.

Unfortunately I didn’t get to watch much of this game in the 2nd half (so understand my comments are only based on numbers) but a quick look at the box score is both encouraging and a little worrying.  

CJ struggling to hit the three ball but still finds a way to have a good game. We created 22 turnovers!! When you can create such havoc on defense it will be hard to lose. I can’t say enough about what Nate has done to get this team playing as one cohesive unit. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say he’s a Brad Stevens once in a lifetime coach. Call me crazy, but I think he’s that good.

What I’m beginning to get relatively concerned about is our shooting.  We simply haven’t shot well consistently all year. Sure we’ve had our moments and some great games, but we simply may not be as good of a shooting team as we think. I don’t think that’s the case but going 7-30 from three is cause for concern as thats not abnormal for us this year.

I don’t want the team to change the style of play whatsoever but it could easily be an Achilles heel for us in tougher games where teams are able to slow the tempo down and reduce turnovers. In other words the conference tournament. 

It puts a lot of pressure on our defense, which I think is the strong suit of this team. I’d be curious to see the stats of the big runs we go on and how many turnovers we turn during those spans. 

Good luck to those in in fantasy football playoffs today and onward to Syracuse! Go bulls! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

That’s just... so few.  I don’t get it. What will it take for students to care?  

The perfect situation. It’s unfortunate. I’d bet there are more Syracuse fans out of the UB students than UB. 

It's weak, I’m not sure what we can do going forward when students won’t go to see a #14 ranked team before February. The main excuses are to “always be away from campus”.

I must have been different because I would have gone to any game during “break”. 

Edited by Kevin

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The perfect situation. It’s unfortunate. I’d bet there are more Syracuse fans out of the UB students than UB. 

Its weak, I’m not sure what we can do going forward when students won’t go to see a #14 ranked team before February. Main goals are to “always be away from campus”.

i must have been different because I would have gone to any game during “break”. 

I see and hear so many UB students talking about Syracuse basketball. It is crazy. You’d think if they liked basketball they would go to the UB games...

On 12/15/2018 at 8:04 PM, squire17 said:

At least 200 sometimes up to 500.

Definitely under estimating it. As a former member of the TB e-board we occasionally got numbers. I don't recall exact numbers but I remember being disappointed we were just short of 1k for Akron a couple years ago. That was with both end zones mostly full. So our biggest games we're definitely over 1k and average games are probably somewhere just south of 500 if the one end zone is mostly full. Still not what you want at a school of our size but I think concerns are over blown on this site. To me the bigger issue is the majority of kids that do show up not standing up and being louder. I think it's a social pressure thing of not wanting to be the first of a whole section standing, I see it in the general public with just cheering or doing the Horns Up too.

Edited by trueblue32

23 hours ago, Kevin said:

A bunch of us were on the other end zone because the studentless student section was full. 

That first home game against Toledo should be roaring.  I think that will be UB's biggest remaining home game. 

Thanks for making an effort though.  We actually had room around us but that's okay.  Maybe we can try this effort again someday.

14 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I see and hear so many UB students talking about Syracuse basketball. It is crazy. You’d think if they liked basketball they would go to the UB games...

It's not crazy. I'm still a 'cuse fan. Many, many people in NY grow up rooting for Syracuse, not many for Buffalo. Many (like me) probably never even heard of UB until starting to apply for colleges (this will change for sports fans with continued success, but hearing about UB has been a bit of a novelty...).

6 hours ago, ed said:

It's not crazy. I'm still a 'cuse fan. Many, many people in NY grow up rooting for Syracuse, not many for Buffalo. Many (like me) probably never even heard of UB until starting to apply for colleges (this will change for sports fans with continued success, but hearing about UB has been a bit of a novelty...).

^ This. While I am not a Cuse fan. I grew up a Miami Hurricanes fan and I still keep up with them. As for people in NYS, a lot of people in my age range were young when Melo and Cuse won the championship. This generates a lot of publicity, fan interest, and pride. The only reason I had heard of UB when I was younger was because of the College Hoops 2k games where I happened to become the coach. In that game it was a stepping stone from the small schools to the major schools.  

Edited by SGBull
Typo

On 12/16/2018 at 5:22 AM, hurley said:

What I’m beginning to get relatively concerned about is our shooting.  We simply haven’t shot well consistently all year. Sure we’ve had our moments and some great games, but we simply may not be as good of a shooting team as we think. I don’t think that’s the case but going 7-30 from three is cause for concern as thats not abnormal for us this year.

Why are you concerned that the team is shooting 47% as a whole? And still shooting 33% from 3. 

We're shooting way better 10 games in this year than we were last year. And right now, we're way better defensively. The only person right now who's been struggling shooting the ball is Jeremy Harris. But, the rest of the team up to this point has been pretty good. 

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Why are you concerned that the team is shooting 47% as a whole? And still shooting 33% from 3. 

We're shooting way better 10 games in this year than we were last year. And right now, we're way better defensively. The only person right now who's been struggling shooting the ball is Jeremy Harris. But, the rest of the team up to this point has been pretty good. 

Agree. Several players have played better and more consistent making up for the loss of Clark namely Graves, Caruthers Jordan and Segu. As long as Harris does the other things like playing defense and rebounding even if he struggles from the field we should be okay. Hope Harris finds his touch before MAC play begins. Go Bulls!!!!

2 minutes ago, John said:

Agree. Several players have played better and more consistent making up for the loss of Clark namely Graves, Caruthers Jordan and Segu. As long as Harris does the other things like playing defense and rebounding even if he struggles from the field we should be okay. Hope Harris finds his touch before MAC play begins. Go Bulls!!!!

Even with Jeremy struggling shooting the ball, he contributes in so many other ways like defense, rebounding, assists, moving the ball on offense. 

Even with his offensive struggles, we are fine.

I don't get why people are saying the team isn't finding their stride on offense when the stats say otherwise.

5 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Even with Jeremy struggling shooting the ball, he contributes in so many other ways like defense, rebounding, assists, moving the ball on offense. 

I don't get why people are saying the team isn't finding their stride on offense when the stats say otherwise.

Stats are great to look at after a game or two but what really counts is “10-0”. What most of fans see is what is right in front of them. With Harris’s successful season last year and some of his struggles this year it stands out. Do agree our overall team chemistry is very good and  and with our maturity we will be fine. Any clue of how many are going to the Syracuse game?? I see it is on ESPN2!! Go Bulls!!!!

7 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I think it's because we're missing open shots. I think we could have scored 100 in most of our games if we hit our shots, of course we'd have probably called off the dogs and put in the subs after scoring like 80 anyway... 

I stand by the idea that right now we all -9 to the score. When we're even we feel like we're down 9. When we're up 9 it feels even. When we're up 15 I'm up on the edge of my seat like it's a two possession game. Bona hits a 3 to bring it to 12 and I'm like uh oh...then I realize, it's still a 4-6 possession lead, and then we hit back to back 3's.

I love this team.

1 minute ago, bull_trojan said:

I think it's because we're missing open shots. I think we could have scored 100 in most of our games if we hit our shots, of course we'd have probably called off the dogs and put in the subs after scoring like 80 anyway... 

I stand by the idea that right now we all -9 to the score. When we're even we feel like we're down 9. When we're up 9 it feels even. When we're up 15 I'm up on the edge of my seat like it's a two possession game. Bona hits a 3 to bring it to 12 and I'm like uh oh...then I realize, it's still a 4-6 possession lead, and then we hit back to back 3's.

I love this team.

I've had to stop myself from surrender cobra-ing when our lead gets down to 6 or 7.  We are so spoiled.