Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB/Akron Thursday, March 10th @ 1:30 PM

6 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Congrats guys, you got what you wanted. Now you can talk shit about all these guys for the next 6 months.

I never wanted this. I’ve been holding out hope the entire season that we’d see the best version of UB in Cleveland. Unfortunately, we didn’t. This was our last good shot for a while with our senior class. I think they’ll remain competitive but they’re now a rebuilding project pending any offseason moves that shift their trajectory.

• Like 2

Just now, SGBull said:

Hopefully Whitesell "retires" now that the season is over. Might be a hot take but I am not going to miss Williams-Segu-Mballa. I hope the next group plays more like CJ-Perk-Jordan-Caruthers-Harris group, team basketball with hard nose defense. 

Williams is an incredibly talented player but is not the leader we needed him to be. Mballa - I don't know what happened to him this year but I don't think this team would be worse off in replacing his minutes. But Segu 100% bought into the role he had on this team and played with intensity and fire every single minute he wore a Buffalo jersey. I'll miss him for sure.

1 minute ago, Chet said:

The Bulls are back to the pre- Hurley era. That we can all agree on. 

I think we can all agree the window of winning is closed. Next year the expectations will be low. And the future beyond next year looks bleak. Depending if our young players develop it may be 3 years before we can compete for a MAC title. 2 if we hit it big. 

4 minutes ago, Erie County said:

As much as you don't think so, we want them to win, but pointed out all season why they wouldn't.

Can you please point to 3 posts of yours out of the last 10 days where you posted something positive about this team? Generally finding every negative thing to complain about on a forum doesn't lend itself to believing that you are a fan of the team. Losing at the buzzer on a shit foul when your team was fouled a minimum of 3 times on the previous possession yet not called doesn't mean the team or program sucks as bad as you make it. The game was exciting and that's what sports is. Sorry this team isn't up to what your expectations are. Again, please enlighten us all on your athletic experience and coaching experience since you are more knowledgeable and hard working that this staff and it's players. You won't,  because you never do, but instead will "dunk" on the players and coaches who played/coached their asses off.

• Like 1

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

I think we can all agree the window of winning is closed. Next year the expectations will be low. And the future beyond next year looks bleak. Depending if our young players develop it may be 3 years before we can compete for a MAC title. 2 if we hit it big. 

Truth is, we have no idea what the future holds. Most of us along with the league's coaches thought we would be the class of the conference this year. That clearly did not materialize. After the sting of missed season expectations and a missed buzzer beater three wears off, part of me will enjoy seeing how the roster is rebuilt and then rooting for a team without massive (somewhat unwarranted and leftover from the salad days) expectations. We could grab a couple legit transfers and be right back in Cleveland dogfight next year. Or Whitesell could be gone! Only thing I know for sure is I'll be in section 114 next year rooting for UB.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SGBull said:

Might be a hot take but I am not going to miss Williams-Segu-Mballa. 

I think that's a bit harsh. They were incredible advocates for the school and Segu is half the reason we have such good recruiting classes lately. IMO Their biggest issue was that they were a class of selfish players (posting their stats after losses has become commonplace that last few years in this program) and didn't know how to play as a team. When you combined that with a hands off coach who let's them play ISO ball all day it's a bad situation all around. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Did you just hit me with the did you play sports? That's how I know you are worked up. I don't get paid 400k to coach the team with public money, Whitesell does. I get paid for IT support for a VOIP company. If im bad at my job, I'd be let go too. 

Did you just make 5 excuses in one post? Toledo had hot shooting, Kent we were unlucky, today was bad fouls. The officials didn't call a corner three by brewton under 40 seconds left. No, one shot doesnt make you bad, 2-3 in the tournament, 2 one and dones, and 1-6 against the top 4 does though. 

As expected, you didn't answer because we both know the answer.

11 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Truth is, we have no idea what the future holds. Most of us along with the league's coaches thought we would be the class of the conference this year. That clearly did not materialize. After the sting of missed season expectations and a missed buzzer beater three wears off, part of me will enjoy seeing how the roster is rebuilt and then rooting for a team without massive (somewhat unwarranted and leftover from the salad days) expectations. We could grab a couple legit transfers and be right back in Cleveland dogfight next year. Or Whitesell could be gone! Only thing I know for sure is I'll be in section 114 next year rooting for UB.

Look I’ll be right there with you. My fandom isn’t going away. This is my school and I’m proud of it. I agree it will be refreshing to have no expectations and see what materializes. But I think it has become apparent that Whitesell may not be the one capable of getting them to a ship. If he couldn’t this season, last season or the year before with Graves and Jordan then idk about him.

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

Look I’ll be right there with you. My fandom isn’t going away. This is my school and I’m proud of it. I agree it will be refreshing to have no expectations and see what materializes. But I think it has become apparent that Whitesell may not be the one capable of getting them to a ship. If he couldn’t this season, last season or the year before with Graves and Jordan then idk about him.

Totally fair take, I'm not far off from you right now. I think the biggest problem was a Frankenstein roster (which is the staff's fault for constructing). Not enough shooting, not enough secondary ball handling and creation. Too many tweeners with narrow skillsets. And the staff was just not good enough at X and Oing their way out of it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chet said:

The Bulls are back to the pre- Hurley era. That we can all agree on. 

Think we are right where we were when Hurley was hired

Does alnutt have a guy like Bobby Hurley he knows 100% will accept the job? If he does he may make a move but hiring/firing at the mid major level is always a dangerous game

14 minutes ago, clodney said:

I think that's a bit harsh. They were incredible advocates for the school and Segu is half the reason we have such good recruiting classes lately. IMO Their biggest issue was that they were a class of selfish players (posting their stats after losses has become commonplace that last few years in this program) and didn't know how to play as a team. When you combined that with a hands off coach who let's them play ISO ball all day it's a bad situation all around. 

I'm not saying they are bad people, basketball players, or I don't wish the best for them. Like you said, they played selfishly and often seemed more intereted in social media and talking trash than they did winning. A big part of that is on the coach, but they should also take responsibility. 

I do agree that they did help advocate for the school in recruiting and worked hard (Williams and Segu always stayed after games to put up shots). I just personally did not love watching them play. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tee4three said:

Think we are right where we were when Hurley was hired

Does alnutt have a guy like Bobby Hurley he knows 100% will accept the job? If he does he may make a move but hiring/firing at the mid major level is always a dangerous game

The team had a coach that hadn't won once  in 14 years yet we're in the same spot as then?

Just now, Erie County said:

Which would be Reggie. So what are the risks from here though? Certainly none left

I think there are some risks, we had a pretty solid freshman class sign and sit this whole season. They will have the experience of at least practicing against the current team and seeing how they went about the day to day

We know of one recruit that seems to be very promising 

If we hire a poor choice this off season and end up in the 8 to 12 range of the Mac - we have a long road ahead to get back to where we are today as a top mac school

The safe play yet again would be to keep whitesell this next season. Let whitesell completely bury himself. Hope the freshmen show up and make the job a bit more attractive since the appearance won't be that a new coach has to start from complete scratch 

4 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Totally fair take, I'm not far off from you right now. I think the biggest problem was a Frankenstein roster (which is the staff's fault for constructing). Not enough shooting, not enough secondary ball handling and creation. Too many tweeners with narrow skillsets. And the staff was just not good enough at X and Oing their way out of it.

Agree. But that’s on the coach. He builds the roster. He recruits players for his system. Here’s a question, what is Whitesell’s system? He’s not a great X and O guy. May be too player friendly rather than demanding. Has missed on a number of shooters in terms of recruiting. And more importantly…has earned the Can’t Win The Big Game label 

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Let whitesell completely bury himself. 

Another big time ub fan rooting for the coach to "bury himself".

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

He’s not a great X and O guy. May be too player friendly rather than demanding. Has missed on a number of shooters in terms of recruiting. And more importantly…has earned the Can’t Win The Big Game label.

Disagree on point 1, big time. Point 2 may be accurate,  without being there all day every day how would one know for sure? Point 3 and 4 is tough to challenge at the moment although I still believe that there is far more on this roster moving forward than most on here.

7 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

The team had a coach that hadn't won once  in 14 years yet we're in the same spot as then?

I think the similarities are there for sure, slightly different in my opinion but can make a connection

Reggie ran a very good program, different to what it is today but it was very good. Just couldn't win the Mac tournament

I think whitesell runs a very good program but is having difficulties also winning the tournament

I think thats why whitesell is such a hot button topic and has been for a while, he runs a good program day to day but in game coaching he lacks

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Agree. But that’s on the coach. He builds the roster. He recruits players for his system. Here’s a question, what is Whitesell’s system? He’s not a great X and O guy. May be too player friendly rather than demanding. Has missed on a number of shooters in terms of recruiting. And more importantly…has earned the Can’t Win The Big Game label 

Yeah, totally with you. I played decent HS basketball so I'm no expert on offensive sets, but it was infuriating seeing other teams consistently running offense that got their guys in advantageous positions, while our (often more skilled) guys ran weaves, isos, and simple high ball screens until the cows came home.

I'm no pie in the sky Whitesell supporter. I just find it unbecoming to freak out and bail on the team during games/seasons as a fan (we're not the AD, who is constantly evaluating and prepping for the future). But now it's absolutely time to have a post-mortem and speculate on the future imo.

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Disagree on point 1, big time. Point 2 may be accurate,  without being there all day every day how would one know for sure? Point 3 and 4 is tough to challenge at the moment although I still believe that there is far more on this roster moving forward than most on here.

Reality is it's not as bad as most of us on this forum say it is. And not as rosie as skarbukes always suggests. 

4 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Bury himself also means he has a chance to prove doubters wrong and become a very successful coach........