Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB/Akron Thursday, March 10th @ 1:30 PM

Winning this game hinges on defending without fouling, rebounding and being mentally “up” for what basically is a road  afternoon game. While there should be no reason to be sleepy, given the stakes, this team is known for mental lapses. 

I looked over the stats from our lone meeting against Akron and two things stood out. We were out rebounded. Now Mballa didn’t play but even with Mballa in our last two losses, rebounding was an issue. A mentally engaged Mballa is key. Hence my first point about being up for this game. The second issue was the FT disparity. They were 30-40. We were 9-17. Ali Ali himself was 16-22. Us shooting this poorly, them getting that many attempts and Ali going to the line that much cannot happen again.

This is a winnable game. A game dare I say we should win. But this team struggles to do what it should. That’s my scouting report. Go Bulls! 

Quote from Zips fan "clarkwgriswold":

"I know I sound like a broken record but I really think Buffalo could make a run.  If Williams and Segu are on their games and Mballais doing his part on the boards and getting the easy points, they could be a tough out.  I wish they were in the other bracket."

9 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Quote from Zips fan "clarkwgriswold":

"I know I sound like a broken record but I really think Buffalo could make a run.  If Williams and Segu are on their games and Mballais doing his part on the boards and getting the easy points, they could be a tough out.  I wish they were in the other bracket."

Those first two sentences are almost verbatim of what we've read on this board during the entire season. 

When you are the pre-season favorite but don't win (and have no injuries), there is always the hope (from UB) and concern (from others) that a 3-game run can occur.

55 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The sad part is that we all say “if”. If we play this way. If this player does this. After all these years with the same core players under the same system I don’t wanna hear “if” anymore. Time to do! 

That is the crazy and exciting aspect of basketball and sports in general. It does really come down to a lot of if’s. Who is going to have a good or great shooting day, who will shoot better from the free throw line among other factors. Sometimes the biggest IF of them all is the officiating. For all the supposed experience and the supposed trying to learn from their mistakes so many games can be decided by questionable calls. That is the agony and ecstasy of sports. I was watching the Iowa/Indiana women’s game and their were several calls in the last 2 minutes that all went Iowa’s way and the fans were booing like crazy and of course Iowa won. So many factors go into win or lose and of course after the game it is easy to analyze what should or should not of been done. Still has been a great time for our teams over the last number of years. Go Bulls!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The sad part is that we all say “if”. If we play this way. If this player does this. After all these years with the same core players under the same system I don’t wanna hear “if” anymore. Time to do! 

Then do not say "if". Say "when".

Remember what happened when Linus said if the Great Pumpkin comes rather than when the Great Pumpkin comes.

Edited by BrooklynBull

KenPom rankings for MAC mens tournament teams:

75: Toledo

119: Ohio

123: Buffalo

136: Kent State

150: Akron

259: Miami

264: Ball State

320: Central Michigan

Bowling Green, Northern Illinois and Eastern Michigan ranked higher at Kenpom than Central Michigan, but failed to qualify for the MAC Tournament. 

23 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The second issue was the FT disparity. They were 30-40. We were 9-17. Ali Ali himself was 16-22. Us shooting this poorly, them getting that many attempts and Ali going to the line that much cannot happen again.

Looking at his stats in MAC games, Ali Ali’s 16 FT’s made vs UB are more than 25% of his season total of 61. I’m betting that game was by far the most times he went to the line all year.  And the 21-point disparity at the line for the game was impossible to overcome regardless of our subpar 9/17 that game.  I have to believe those numbers won’t be repeated in Cleveland and Mballa’s defense and rebounding is going to be key. Maybe he’ll even throw in one of his patented treys for the NBA scouts….

1 hour ago, Bluebird96 said:

Looking at his stats in MAC games, Ali Ali’s 16 FT’s made vs UB are more than 25% of his season total of 61. I’m betting that game was by far the most times he went to the line all year.  And the 21-point disparity at the line for the game was impossible to overcome regardless of our subpar 9/17 that game.  I have to believe those numbers won’t be repeated in Cleveland and Mballa’s defense and rebounding is going to be key. Maybe he’ll even throw in one of his patented treys for the NBA scouts….

Please no Mballa 3s. Please no lol. As to your point about Ali. Yes it seems like an outlier. But against Toledo, twice, the FT disparity was killer. Begs the question, is it an outlier or something in the system or attack that got him to the line? Toledo in 2 games got to the line a ton. Perhaps Akron has the same formula. Just something to watch for. Also yea a disparity that large is difficult to overcome, hence why it can’t happen. We need to defend without fouling. 

25 minutes ago, Chet said:

The 1:30PM start time will likely keep the home crowd for the Zips relatively small.

That’s a good point. 

I’d like to see the Bulls jump out to a quick lead and never look back. Keep whatever fans that show up nice and quiet. Forty minutes of pure energy and smart basketball. LFG UB!

• Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 9:12 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

Begs the question, is it an outlier or something in the system or attack that got him to the line? Toledo in 2 games got to the line a ton. Perhaps Akron has the same formula. Just something to watch for. Also yea a disparity that large is difficult to overcome, hence why it can’t happen. We need to defend without fouling. 

Definitely an outlier for Ali’s FTs in the previous matchup vs Akron. His high attempts for all other games was 9 and just 7 in MAC play vs NIU. Also, he averages under 3 rpg so he’s not exactly a beast on the boards for being 6’8”.

Also, not only did Mballa not play in the previous matchup, but neither did Fagan. And Hardnett fouled out in just 8 mins of action. UB was forced to play with a small lineup most of the game as Perry also played by far his most minutes of the season. Thursday’s game will be a much different story as far as the rotation goes, now let’s see if that translates to a more favorable outcome.