Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bryan Hodgson

JFH47

I mentioned in a recruiting thread how the Bulls should start to build a local recruiting pipeline. Hodgson just grabbed the All Time Western New York scoring leader Jaiden Harrison from Bishop Timon as a preferred walk-on

IMG_5030.jpeg

Edited by Ubbullsfan09
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

I mentioned in a recruiting thread how the Bulls should start to build a local recruiting pipeline. Hodgson just grabbed the All Time Western New York scoring leader Jaiden Harrison from Bishop Timon as a preferred walk-on

IMG_5030.jpeg

Wow. Did we have any walk ons last year? Nate loved a deep bench. Bryan clearly is buying into that too. 

23 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Wow. Did we have any walk ons last year? Nate loved a deep bench. Bryan clearly is buying into that too. 

No denying he is an absolute savage on the recruiting side. The big question was whether he could actually coach and it appears that that question was answered right out of the gate in season 1. I’m never getting over the decision to pass on Hodgson. 

1 minute ago, Chet said:

No denying he is an absolute savage on the recruiting side. The big question was whether he could actually coach and it appears that that question was answered right out of the gate in season 1. I’m never getting over the decision to pass on Hodgson. 

I'm just not sure how we as a 3 win team last year don't even try to recruit the all time scorer from wny. The previous #1 was Welch, who had a very solid 5 year career. 

• Like 1

Interesting wording on that post "wny native Bryan hodgson"

Did a local school beat Arkansas st out for a recruit recently? Or is there a bigger prospect they want or are looking at in the coming year and want their name around with the connection?

Probably nothing but just wording but found it interesting 

1 hour ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

IMG_5030.jpeg

So let me get this straight…he passed up scholarship offers to go play for Arkansas St as a preferred walk on? Either he is getting some nice NIL money or he will transfer after next season when he realizes he’s been riding the bench all season. This seems like a fishy way to circumvent roster restrictions.

But I agree with the premise that we should be recruiting locally, especially if that player is the wny all time scorer.

Really shows u the current state of affairs at UB when Adam March is offering NIL to Hodgson and Arkansas State, but this like most things in life is a relationship business. 

19 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

So let me get this straight…he passed up scholarship offers to go play for Arkansas St as a preferred walk on? Either he is getting some nice NIL money or he will transfer after next season when he realizes he’s been riding the bench all season. This seems like a fishy way to circumvent roster restrictions.

But I agree with the premise that we should be recruiting locally, especially if that player is the wny all time scorer.

Seems like an odd choice, but likely something is at least covering his tuition so it’s like a scholarship. Either that or his family has enough money to cover his school costs and he really wanted to play there.

15 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Are people really upset that a basketball player who only had scholarship offers from Albany and Fairfield and decided to walk on at Arkansas State and was not recruited by UB?

Is that the level of recruit that people want?

We did just watch a season where the team won 3 games and were blown out in most others. Which blue blood schools offered the guys that were recently signed? While the point is not completely off base, the all time scorer here should be more than capable of getting a look from the supposed top school in the area. Much like Khalil Mack's brother not originally being offered by UB (before receiving big time backlash), it's not a super wise decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Are people really upset that a basketball player who only had scholarship offers from Albany and Fairfield and decided to walk on at Arkansas State and was not recruited by UB?

Is that the level of recruit that people want?

I mean all 3 programs had much better seasons than us. The recruits GH3 are bringing in are not of a higher caliber, most have no D1 offers or offers from MAAC schools and other low majors. 

and yes, I think it’s smart to bring in local kids and build a pipeline, even just as a walk-on. It looks like Hodgson, who just had a much better first season than GH3, is picking up on this and even has Adam March giving the team NIL who funded Blue Collar U

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1