Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB vs Miami OH

Blue03

Not the prettiest of wins. But some positives to take away are 16/19 on FTs, 40-25 rebound advantage, and only 10 turnovers despite Zid and Foster seemingly combining for 20 themselves if you read this thread 😂. Now let’s see what happens in Cleveland 

Edited by Bluebird96
  • Like 2

Ugly game with a bad start. But hey, at least they showed some spirit late on. Can’t have that poor of a first half in Cleveland, but if they can sustain the fight they had in the second for a whole game, there’s a glimmer of hope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I think this year is proof that many of Whitesell's critics over the past few years weren't pessimists but instead people who had the vision to see where the program was headed under him. Unless his recruiting magically improves, we're staring down mediocre basketball for the foreseeable future.

Jim’s worst year and he finished all of 1 game behind your idol Jeff Boals. Nobody has ever said Jim is great. He is what his career record says he is. Average. We can do better. We could also do worse. I’ll always remain an optimist for my team. Doesn’t mean I’m unaware of reality. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I didn't have many nice things to say at halftime, besides "at least they chopped the deficit down to 9."  Neither team started sharp, but Miami hit a couple outside shots.  The Bulls missed Curtis' outside threat.  When Jack wasn't on the floor, Miami was able to work it inside.  Whatever Whitesell changed up at halftime worked, because they rattled off a run and caught up quick.  The defense tightened up and Miami's shooting went cold.  A great response at halftime from the coaches and team.  They rebounded well today and kept a lot of plays alive.  Miami didn't want to let UB drive inside today but the Bulls were able to pass it in there.  The Bulls kept their cool at the end, got the rebounds and hit their foul shots.

Jack - he did a great job against Mirambeaux (#45).  Played him physical, didn't give him anything easy, and it threw off a lot of his shots.
Zid - had a couple fast breaks first half, several great steals
Adams - was their only outside threat, besides a couple from...
Blocker - stepped up with a couple three's in Jones's absence
Hardnett - second half, he was doing well at moving inside and hitting hook shots/banking it in
Caesar - he's alive!  Hit a three in limited action

Miami - Lairy didn't have his best game.  Mirambeaux is a handful when he's backing towards the net, he has a good touch underneath.  But Jack played him well, and he has no stamina.  Most of his points came from when Jack was off the floor.  Miami has been a team that they somehow usually lose to the last several years, so I'll take it.

Crowd - came alive down the stretch when the team needed it.  Especially on a couple defensive plays.  A better turnout tonight than I expected, considering the weather.

I had fun seeing them come back second half and take this tonight, and I hope you did too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chet said:

Team needs shooting so badly. Miami just clogged the lane and played some zone. Dared the Bulls to beat them from three.

There’s been times this year where Adams has shot the ball well. Just 2/7 from 3 tonight but he’s shown he is more than just an outside shooter with his ability to drive to the hoop and make some tough shots inside. Needs to get better at the FT line though.

Surprisingly enough Hardnett has added the 3-Pt shot to his game this year and shot in the mid 30’s on the season which isn’t terrible for a big man not known to be an outside threat. Just don’t want him jacking up more than 3 a game especially when Curtis is back in the lineup.

But you’re right, definitely need another outside threat for next year. Blocker has shown some promise too but as others have mentioned, his development has been a little slower than expected. Maybe he’ll take the next step next year.

7 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

There’s been times this year where Adams has shot the ball well. Just 2/7 from 3 tonight but he’s shown he is more than just an outside shooter with his ability to drive to the hoop and make some tough shots inside. Needs to get better at the FT line though.

Surprisingly enough Hardnett has added the 3-Pt shot to his game this year and shot in the mid 30’s on the season which isn’t terrible for a big man not known to be an outside threat. Just don’t want him jacking up more than 3 a game especially when Curtis is back in the lineup.

But you’re right, definitely need another outside threat for next year. Blocker has shown some promise too but as others have mentioned, his development has been a little slower than expected. Maybe he’ll take the next step next year.

Jordan Hamilton, who has a current offer is juco recruiting Fab 50 freshman.  He started season off hot from three, but cooled a little and may have been injured at end of year.   Not sure he winds up here, but shows that outside shooting is definitely on the radar as a team need.  If not him, maybe they can get someone from the portal.

16 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Jim’s worst year and he finished all of 1 game behind your idol Jeff Boals. Nobody has ever said Jim is great. He is what his career record says he is. Average. We can do better. We could also do worse. I’ll always remain an optimist for my team. Doesn’t mean I’m unaware of reality. 

9-9 in the MAC, 6th place finish. Within a game of where most on this forum expected. Exactly where the coaches picked us to finish. 0-6 vs the top 3, no escaping that but for the most part we won the games we were supposed to win.

15-16 overall, some good some bad, with at least 3 games that we gave away late otherwise that record would look more respectable. Could definitely do worse even with a much higher paid coach and more talented roster. But we’re not going the direction we all want given the dropoff after Oats left town. It’s evident that a change is needed but I don’t see it coming for at least another season so we might as well try to enjoy the ride and support this team that can be exciting and maddening all at the same time. What would be better than ending Akron’s season next week? Go Bulls! 🤘

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

What would be better than ending Akron’s season next week? Go Bulls! 🤘

Winning the conference tournament! I’m not trying to get down your throat here but I won’t settle for a first round upset. That won’t sugarcoat a disappointing season to this point. Yes I whole heartedly agree that we finished roughly around where everyone expected. Us here included. But it’s how we got there. This team imo regressed as the season went along. Countless times I was looking for hope for next season. Looking to one player saying, “oh he developed and looks ready to take the lead next year.” At regular seasons end I come away with more questions than answers. Come away thinking this team did not mature. And most my frustration is with the coaching, not the players. But all that is over with. Next season begins Thursday. Win the tournament and shock everyone. We will talk about next season after the tournament. Go Bulls! Prove me wrong. I’ll happily eat my foot lol

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Winning the conference tournament! I’m not trying to get down your throat here but I won’t settle for a first round upset. That won’t sugarcoat a disappointing season to this point. Yes I whole heartedly agree that we finished roughly around where everyone expected. Us here included. But it’s how we got there. This team imo regressed as the season went along. Countless times I was looking for hope for next season. Looking to one player saying, “oh he developed and looks ready to take the lead next year.” At regular seasons end I come away with more questions than answers. Come away thinking this team did not mature. And most my frustration is with the coaching, not the players. But all that is over with. Next season begins Thursday. Win the tournament and shock everyone. We will talk about next season after the tournament. Go Bulls! Prove me wrong. I’ll happily eat my foot lol

One step at a time! Of course running the table in Cleveland would be great and totally unexpected.  Would probably earn JW another extension which I’m not sure some on here could handle even the thought of lol

As for the regular season, yes it was frustrating to watch a few games thrown away by careless ball handling, lack of focus, bad coaching or what have you. Despite all our flaws, the luck sure didn’t seem to go our way a lot of times. If we manage to win those games @ CMU and @ MOH we might be looking at the 4 seed. Throw in the winnable games versus Howard and Drake and we’re looking at 19-12 and a totally different outlook on the season.

As for the players, I would definitely say that Curtis Jones exceeded all expectations. Who honestly expected him to lead the team in scoring and 2nd in rebounds after averaging 2.5 ppg last year? He did have his ups and downs but overall there’s not much to complain about.

Adams I would say improved as the year went on after a slow start the first 5 games where he scored just 32 pts. From that point forward he averaged just under 13 ppg. His stats were very similar to Jeremy Harris’ senior year, with much better 3P% (35-27). Needs to work on his turnovers though. 

Hardnett really came on at the end of the season and I’m glad to see his turnaround from last year after showing a lot of promise his first season. Hopefully he takes advantage of his extra COVID year and sticks it out for one more season at UB.

Jack had a solid freshman year and hopefully keeps improving his game next year. Also a lot to like with Smith’s season.

Powell and Foster might be the most inconsistent and frustrating to watch of all the new guys. Both had their moments but neither are dependable shooters and both faded down the stretch a little. Love Zid’s energy and he’s solid at the FT line. 

Overall in MAC play, UB led the conference in total rebounds, rebounding margin and assists. Third in assist to turnover ratio. Need a lot of work on defense. We were spoiled having guys like Caruthers, Jordan and Graves all those years. Don’t know if we’ll get back to those kinds of players under the current staff.

Edited by Bluebird96
  • Like 4

Bluebird - some good points.  It's interesting how good they were statistically in some categories, but overall, a .500 team that (mostly) beat the teams below them and lost to the teams above them.  I'm saving my "big picture" "season ending" thoughts till it's all done (I think they can upset one of these teams, just not 3 in a row).

5 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

It's why I rarely ever read any of the in-game comments.

6 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

One step at a time! Of course running the table in Cleveland would be great and totally unexpected.  Would probably earn JW another extension which I’m not sure some on here could handle even the thought of lol

As for the regular season, yes it was frustrating to watch a few games thrown away by careless ball handling, lack of focus, bad coaching or what have you. Despite all our flaws, the luck sure didn’t seem to go our way a lot of times. If we manage to win those games @ CMU and @ MOH we might be looking at the 4 seed. Throw in the winnable games versus Howard and Drake and we’re looking at 19-12 and a totally different outlook on the season.

As for the players, I would definitely say that Curtis Jones exceeded all expectations. Who honestly expected him to lead the team in scoring and 2nd in rebounds after averaging 2.5 ppg last year? He did have his ups and downs but overall there’s not much to complain about.

Adams I would say improved as the year went on after a slow start the first 5 games where he scored just 32 pts. From that point forward he averaged just under 13 ppg. His stats were very similar to Jeremy Harris’ senior year, with much better 3P% (35-27). Needs to work on his turnovers though. 

Hardnett really came on at the end of the season and I’m glad to see his turnaround from last year after showing a lot of promise his first season. Hopefully he takes advantage of his extra COVID year and sticks it out for one more season at UB.

Jack had a solid freshman year and hopefully keeps improving his game next year. Also a lot to like with Smith’s season.

Powell and Foster might be the most inconsistent and frustrating to watch of all the new guys. Both had their moments but neither are dependable shooters and both faded down the stretch a little. Love Zid’s energy and he’s solid at the FT line. 

Overall in MAC play, UB led the conference in total rebounds, rebounding margin and assists. Third in assist to turnover ratio. Need a lot of work on defense. We were spoiled having guys like Caruthers, Jordan and Graves all those years. Don’t know if we’ll get back to those kinds of players under the current staff.

Two 4th year coaches.

Coaching matters.

Buffalo

9-9 Conference Record

15-16 Overall Record

6th place in MAC

Alabama

16-1 Conference Record

26-4 Overall Record

1st place in SEC

Edited by Sportsfan

Remember when Reggie lost the first game in the MAC tourney and when he returned home he was immediately fired by Greene. Do you think history might repeat itself. I thought  Whitesell was coaching for his job in the second half. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sportsfan said:

Two 4th year coaches.

Coaching matters.

Buffalo

9-9 Conference Record

15-16 Overall Record

6th place in MAC

Alabama

16-1 Conference Record

26-4 Overall Record

1st place in SEC

Most importantly, no UB Bulls have been named suspects, persons of interest, or charged with murder or manslaughter 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

9-9 in the MAC, 6th place finish. Within a game of where most on this forum expected. Exactly where the coaches picked us to finish. 0-6 vs the top 3, no escaping that but for the most part we won the games we were supposed to win.

15-16 overall, some good some bad, with at least 3 games that we gave away late otherwise that record would look more respectable. Could definitely do worse even with a much higher paid coach and more talented roster. But we’re not going the direction we all want given the dropoff after Oats left town. It’s evident that a change is needed but I don’t see it coming for at least another season so we might as well try to enjoy the ride and support this team that can be exciting and maddening all at the same time. What would be better than ending Akron’s season next week? Go Bulls! 🤘

Ending Kent’s season the next day. 

Correction Reggie was fired by Danny White when he got off the bus. 

Former University at Buffalo basketball coach Reggie Witherspoon expressed continued surprise over his dismissal Monday and said he’s still unclear what motivated new athletic director Danny White to release him after 14 years on the job.

8 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

Two 4th year coaches.

Coaching matters.

Buffalo

9-9 Conference Record

15-16 Overall Record

6th place in MAC

Alabama

16-1 Conference Record

26-4 Overall Record

1st place in SEC

What Jim Whitesell does compared to other MAC programs is applicable.  What he does compared to other coaches at the same school is applicable.  What a mid-major coach with a limited athletics budget does is not comparable to what a guy does at a power conference school with unlimited funds and school prestige (not necessarily for basketball there, but Alabama sports is a big deal).  Good for Nate Oats - but what he's doing at Alabama has nothing to do with what Jim Whitesell is doing at UB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1