Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

Just now, MuchMany said:

If we don't hear something today, can we start to assume that continuing tournament obligations are delaying things? I'm hoping they don't settle on someone immediately available in the meantime. 

Washington is probably the best available who’s not in the tournament. Cohen is still in with Xavier but there’s some down time before the sweet 16 starts. I’ve been hounding the Coaching Changes twitter and all signs point to the two of them being the top candidates interested. Hodgson seems like a dark horse at the moment. However, he is receiving a ton of pushback from Ark State fans due to the situation at Bama. Things could possibly cool down there unless he’s already verbally agreed or signed pen to paper. If it’s going to be Washington I’d expect today or tomorrow to hear. Cohen on the other hand could be a longer more drawn out wait. Cohen could even have said yes to the gig but it could be under wraps until Xavier wins/gets knocked out of the tournament 

Just now, Dabulls said:

Washington is probably the best available who’s not in the tournament. Cohen is still in with Xavier but there’s some down time before the sweet 16 starts. I’ve been hounding the Coaching Changes twitter and all signs point to the two of them being the top candidates interested. Hodgson seems like a dark horse at the moment. However, he is receiving a ton of pushback from Ark State fans due to the situation at Bama. Things could possibly cool down there unless he’s already verbally agreed or signed pen to paper. If it’s going to be Washington I’d expect today or tomorrow to hear. Cohen on the other hand could be a longer more drawn out wait. Cohen could even have said yes to the gig but it could be under wraps until Xavier wins/gets knocked out of the tournament 

Yep, I think that's right. Getting impatient and settling (imo) for Washington is my worry. If there is mutual interest between UB and Cohen, I imagine his agent is communicating and alleviating pressure. 

Do hires ever get announced while an assistant coach is still active in season? Head coaches of Cinderellas get poached only after they get eliminated, but in football sometimes a coordinator will be announced for a HC job but finish out their bowl game. 

17 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Yep, I think that's right. Getting impatient and settling (imo) for Washington is my worry. If there is mutual interest between UB and Cohen, I imagine his agent is communicating and alleviating pressure.  

I dont really believe that we would be settling for Washington. He’s got a really great track record. He’s an incredible recruiter, had great team success at Michigan and is heavily involved in elevating the position of black coaches in basketball (much like Quarles). I’m more of a fan of Cohen due to the fact that he’s from WNY and could have his team more heavily involved in the community. Both are pretty good choices for the HC gig

Edited by Dabulls
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I dont really believe that we would be settling for Washington. He’s got a really great track record. He’s an incredible recruiter, had great team success at Michigan and is heavily involved in elevating the position of black coaches in basketball (much like Quarles). I’m more of a fan of Cohen due to the fact that he’s from WNY and could have his team more heavily involved in the community. Both are pretty good choices for the HC gig

"Settle" sounds harsh, but I mean it only as making decision before all options are able to be thoroughly considered.

I clearly prefer Cohen and I regard his pedigree to be a step above Washington's, but I don't think Washington is a bad option. He recruited my cousin Hunter to Michigan and I know he's well-liked. That said, the WMU/Romulus connection feels oversimple and lazy, and I don't love the style of basketball that Michigan plays. They have underachieved significantly in my mind based on the talent they get these days. Whether that's more on Juwan, his staff, or the players, I can't say. 

• Like 1

I have not been participating in this forum for most of the year.  I have been frustrated with the direction of the team and the momentum that was lost from the program.  Don't get me wrong, I watched every game and supported the team.  Hiring Whitesell was the wrong move 4 years ago and it only got worse as the years went on.  That being said,   I am so happy the administration took the right step in letting Whitesell go.  I wish him the best.   I am excited again for this program.  This is one of the most important hires in decades for the school.  UB needs to get this one right.  We need a coach who is hungry like we all are.  A coach who is hungry to prove himself and to prove what this school is capable of.  We need a coach who can recruit and develop relationships with his players, a coach who runs a brand of basketball that is appealing to watch for the fans and more importantly is appealing to players because they want to play in that style of basketball.

Like what many others have said, I am not a fan of a retread coach.  That is not the right hire for UB at this time.  We need a hungry coach, and we should settle for nothing less.  We are a solid destination for a hungry coach and we should take our time and find the right one.  I am anxious like everyone and want to find a new coach but understand that the tournament and its progress could likely stretch out this process. 

There have been a lot of names floated out there and I am sure Alnutt is looking at many more that have not been mentioned.  I am fully behind hiring Cohen.  I think he checks off all the boxes, hungry, good teacher, solid play designer, has proven he can recruit at various levels and has a passion for the area.  I know, that is not an essential aspect of the hire, but in my mind it only help and could develop into a situation where he stays longer than another hungry coach because of his love for the area.  A love for City of Buffalo is a good attribute to have in a coach.  I would love to see Buffalo play the brand of basketball I have seen from Xavier all season.   They are fun to watch and really get after it on both ends of the floor.  

This coaching change has reinvigorated by passion and excitement for this team.  I look forward to seeing whom Alnutt choses to hire.  For what it is worth, I am pulling for Adam Cohen!  Go Bulls! 

• Like 4

What I would be concerned about is look at the schools in the Sweet Sixteen FAU and Princeton that doesn’t even give scholarship Princeton. UB Bulls can’t even get out of the mediocre MAC Tournament it’s ridiculous. Again who ever the new UB Bulls head coach is two years max if the new head coach can’t get to the NCAA Tournament in the second year and win there he is the wrong head coach. It doesn’t take 4 and 5 years. UB alums hanging on to that is what got UB in this mess to begin with. UB Bulls fans having standards isn’t the enemy. The UB Bulls fans working with the failing UB head coach helping doing spin control because they have no accountability or answers living in denial is the enemy at UB. Win or your fired. These Division I jobs come with expectations that is why they pay well if you want no expectations or pressure coach Division III in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

The Spectrum is reporting that AD Alnutt decided to fire Whitesell immediately rather than wait a month for the buyout to drop by $100k. I don't think you do that unless you have some names in mind that you want to jump on before other jobs open up. I am glad he pulled the trigger and opted against frugality. I hope an announcement comes soon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clodney said:

The Spectrum is reporting that AD Alnutt decided to fire Whitesell immediately rather than wait a month for the buyout to drop by $100k. I don't think you do that unless you have some names in mind that you want to jump on before other jobs open up. I am glad he pulled the trigger and opted against frugality. I hope an announcement comes soon.

It also tells perspective coaches that money isn't an issue and that you will be treated fairly the whole time here

Also says the school respects whitesell and his family

Ub could have easily waited but I feel schools that wait show signs of being a bad job 

22 minutes ago, clodney said:

Or you keep him on "staff" for the month, negotiate the buyout, etc. I highly doubt we are paying the 100k buyout. 

35 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

What I would be concerned about is look at the schools in the Sweet Sixteen FAU and Princeton that doesn’t even give scholarship Princeton. UB Bulls can’t even get out of the mediocre MAC Tournament it’s ridiculous. Again who ever the new UB Bulls head coach is two years max if the new head coach can’t get to the NCAA Tournament in the second year and win there he is the wrong head coach. It doesn’t take 4 and 5 years. UB alums hanging on to that is what got UB in this mess to begin with. UB Bulls fans having standards isn’t the enemy. The UB Bulls fans working with the failing UB head coach helping doing spin control because they have no accountability or answers living in denial is the enemy at UB. Win or your fired. These Division I jobs come with expectations that is why they pay well if you want no expectations or pressure coach Division III in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

No coach will take a job with a two year contract or a longer contract that say win or be fired after two years.

32 minutes ago, clodney said:

I said this when Oats bounced, every AD should have a list of 5 names that they would go after ready at all times. Anything else is a fireable offense. Can’t ever get caught off guard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

Or you keep him on "staff" for the month, negotiate the buyout, etc. I highly doubt we are paying the 100k buyout. 

I would bet that a donor offered to pay the 100K to have him fired ASAP. 

Or keep him on payroll until then but not as the Basketball Coach. 

I just can't see UB paying the 100K.

Edited by bullsbball

1 hour ago, clodney said:

The Spectrum is reporting that AD Alnutt decided to fire Whitesell immediately rather than wait a month for the buyout to drop by $100k. I don't think you do that unless you have some names in mind that you want to jump on before other jobs open up.

I hope so but it could also be "anyone is going to be an upgrade, let's get moving" 😂

3 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I didn't see the article. Did they say what the "cause" was?

According to the termination letter obtained by ESPN, Anderson was fired for "failure to create and support an environment that strongly encourages student-athletes who are in the men's basketball program to meet all university academic requirements," "failure to perform your duties and responsibilities in a manner that reflected positively on St. John's University ... in actions [that] brought serious discredit" to the school and "failure to appropriately supervise and communicate with your assistant coaches."

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

According to the termination letter obtained by ESPN, Anderson was fired for "failure to create and support an environment that strongly encourages student-athletes who are in the men's basketball program to meet all university academic requirements," "failure to perform your duties and responsibilities in a manner that reflected positively on St. John's University ... in actions [that] brought serious discredit" to the school and "failure to appropriately supervise and communicate with your assistant coaches."

The irony of bringing in Pitino lol. But as a kid from NYC, I love the move.

I think this is a new article from Lenzi today, including thoughts from Matt Norlander and John Fanta. Names mentioned are Hodgson, Cohen, Hartman, and Luke Murray. Pretty good read.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/college/ub-mens-basketball-why-coaching-job-is-appealing-who-could-revitalize-program-how-to-reclaim/article_2debcf66-c2b8-11ed-9fe8-bb6b43e6cbf4.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Found this interesting given the conversations we've had here:

An advantage that UB has is its resources: an arena that seats upward of 6,000;, a budget of operating expenses and revenues that, according to its annual standardized financial statement the school must file with the NCAA, has topped more than $3 million in four of the last five fiscal years; and an invested fan base that got accustomed to winning and needs a reason to be reinvigorated.