Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I think "major selling point" is an overstatement. It's a secondary factor and a compelling one. He was on the NABC 30 under 30 list and has been a D1 assistant for half his life. We're not hiring a local HS coach like Starling Bryant here.

Any reason to think he can't build a winner here (other than the fact that none of us can predict the future)?

No. Like I said I get a little nervous when the local thing is bandied about because this market can turn on you as fast as the embrace you.

30 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

No. Like I said I get a little nervous when the local thing is bandied about because this market can turn on you as fast as the embrace you.

Neither Hurley nor Oats have local ties and they are our ideal based upon this forum. Turner Gill and Lance Leipold were not either. FLJ you could kinda call local, but not really. I think it would be a nice added feature, could add some local interest, but I would put it in my Top 10 of boxes to check honestly.

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Assuming with the timing of Jones' announcement, I'm assuming UB has chosen it's coach and/or leader. I'm assuming they are still left in the tournament. 

I also noticed Foley dropped the “former” on his twitter bio. Wonder if the new coach liked his JUCO pipeline 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Assuming with the timing of Jones' announcement, I'm assuming UB has chosen it's coach and/or leader. I'm assuming they are still left in the tournament. 

Would think it's Cohen. Waiting to announce while still in the tournament, but working behind the scenes to get things set up 

18 minutes ago, ukbro00 said:

Would think it's Cohen. Waiting to announce while still in the tournament, but working behind the scenes to get things set up 

Is the thought Jones is not a fan of the new coach then? That's the delay in portalling? 

We better have something signed if we're waiting for a coach to exit the tourney. What happens if it's Cohen and Xavier manages to get out of this weekend? We're just supposed to wait 3 weeks for a coach who is getting more valuable with each win? This is a gamble.

I’m confident but also terrified of the situation. We better have someone signed by now. Teams are filling vacancies all around us. My fear is that we don’t have one signed and the coach we are looking for ends up staying with their current team or goes to a larger school. Then we would have to scramble and possibly hire a weak candidate. Other mid majors have also started signing transfers. We currently have no transfers or HS players committed. We need to get this done ASAP but also need to hire someone whos a strong candidate 

23 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Is the thought Jones is not a fan of the new coach then? That's the delay in portalling? 

I mean with the way the portal is going, even if Jones is pretty sure he wants to stay, why not put your name in just so you can see if there are other options?

He has absolutely nothing to lose at this point.

2 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

I mean with the way the portal is going, even if Jones is pretty sure he wants to stay, why not put your name in just so you can see if there are other options?

He has absolutely nothing to lose at this point.

I don't disagree, just curious on the timing. Maybe the players all talk about it and then they pick which day they want to put their name out so they get their own 15 minutes and can create their lists of the 75 teams that have "contacted" them so they can be special.

Zid has been pretty vocal on Twitter, people "hating on him", having to do everything from nothing, etc. etc. I was pretty excited about him at the beginning of the year, but as he kept posting his dunks after 20 point loss games, I was a bit less enthusiastic. 

Edited by UBinMD

18 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I’m confident but also terrified of the situation. We better have someone signed by now. Teams are filling vacancies all around us. My fear is that we don’t have one signed and the coach we are looking for ends up staying with their current team or goes to a larger school. Then we would have to scramble and possibly hire a weak candidate. Other mid majors have also started signing transfers. We currently have no transfers or HS players committed. We need to get this done ASAP but also need to hire someone whos a strong candidate 

I feeling the same way. The longer it takes the more extreme it feels like the choice could be. 
We could go from Coach K wants to win with a Mid Major and picked us. To  were gonna give this really good 5th grade coach a shot. He's got a great pipeline set up for 2030 

Just now, UBinMD said:

Zid has been pretty vocal on Twitter, people "hating on him", having to do everything from nothing, etc. etc. I was pretty excited about him at the beginning of the year, but after he kept posting his dunks after 20 loss games, I was a bit less enthusiastic. 

That’s who he is. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. Tough Philly kid mentality. Kinda guy you wanna be in battle with, but for some reason here, while his numbers were nice, I feel he was given too much freedom. And it resulted in wild play. Too much wild play for my liking. Nothing against his hustle and grind. I’m sure he’ll land somewhere. Could be a valuable 6th man. But needs a coach who can discipline and structure his game

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Zid has been pretty vocal on Twitter, people "hating on him", having to do everything from nothing, etc. etc. I was pretty excited about him at the beginning of the year, but after he kept posting his dunks after 20 loss games, I was a bit less enthusiastic. 

He's a stereotypical "me-first" player, which is great if you are consistently really good. Unfortunately, if you were consistently really good, you wouldn't be in the MAC. 

Funny that we're talking about Zid posting his dunks on social media after losses and 2 years ago we were talking about Graves doing the same thing. Sounds like the hallmark of the Whitesell era. Loads of talent but no discipline or team mentality - a stark contrast to what Oats built.

9 minutes ago, clodney said:

Funny that we're talking about Zid posting his dunks on social media after losses and 2 years ago we were talking about Graves doing the same thing. Sounds like the hallmark of the Whitesell era. Loads of talent but no discipline or team mentality - a stark contrast to what Oats built.

Yeah, Oats really builds team culture. If your teammate asks you to drive your gun over to you at 1am knowing that you've been drinking, you should 100% do it, because that's what Coach would want. 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ukbro00 said:

Yeah, Oats really builds team culture. If your teammate asks you to drive your gun over to you at 1am knowing that you've been drinking, you should 100% do it, because that's what Coach would want. 🙂

There's no I in T-E-A-M!!