Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, Chet said:

It appears that Bryan Hodgson has had a successful start to his head coaching career. His recruiting up until this point looks great on paper. 

There are probably still some roster moves and reshuffling of preseason rankings, but barttorvik currently has Arkansas St as sixth best in sunbelt conference.  Halcovage appears to still have some work to do to get UB to #6...could we see a matchup of Arkansas St and UB in November?  If that were to happen, it would be interesting on here for sure.

12 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Bryan who?  That ship sailed, time to move on.  Benchmark maybe, but doing so involves sorting out many other variables that I’m not Interested in evaluating. 

For the record, I am aligned with you.  I am 100% focused on Halcovage's and UB's results, rooting for them to play well.

• Like 2

It is interesting, the difference in approach.  Halcovage appeared to make incoming high school seniors his priority, whereas Hodgson has gone more with the transfer portal.  Currently no offers to class of 23 for Arkansas St.  If Halcovage is able to add a couple of decent transfers..he would have struck a good balance between success this year and build for the future.  Maybe Hodgson has to upgrade perception of Arkansas St to make future recruiting easier as they have been typically ranked in 200+ range.

28 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

It is interesting, the difference in approach.  Halcovage appeared to make incoming high school seniors his priority, whereas Hodgson has gone more with the transfer portal.  Currently no offers to class of 23 for Arkansas St.  If Halcovage is able to add a couple of decent transfers..he would have struck a good balance between success this year and build for the future.  Maybe Hodgson has to upgrade perception of Arkansas St to make future recruiting easier as they have been typically ranked in 200+ range.

He's likely going for a win-now mentality to bounce to the next level if he has moderate success. Holcovage will likely leave at some point, but I actually think he is trying to create a repeatable baseline and can continue a coaching tree when he does depart. Can't complain about BH decision given the current environment, but I personally prefer the GHIII option. We will see how year 1 goes for each.

8 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

With several scholarships still open, it is too early to compare coaching philosophies.  Getting high schoolers now doesn’t mean not valuing transfers.  Get them later ?!!

GHIII has pursued transfers already, so I am not suggesting they didn't value transfers. I trust that they will add several transfers in the next 2-4 weeks. There seems to be enough talent left in portal that I am optimistic UB can land a couple of starting guards and remain in top six in MAC for upcoming season. Arkansas St. only has 2 more scholarships remaining, so they did appear to focus more on a win today approach as they did not get any HS recruits to date.  

However, you make a valid point that it is  too soon to read into how either coach will approach long term development of their respective teams.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Thanks Doc, I always appreciate your contributions. 

Thank you...I appreciate your contents as well.  I have been refraining from my normal speculations about possible transfers...I have been trying to figure out who the Bulls may be contacting...but I have spared you all of my speculation...always way off.🙂

Edited by DocCas86

4 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Thank you...I appreciate your contents as well.  I have been refraining from my normal speculations about possible transfers...I have been trying to figure our who the Bulls may be contacting...but I have spared you all off my speculation...always way off.🙂

HC seems “picky” in what types of players he wants. Hopefully he’s found some guys he’s interested in, would like a transfer commitment soon

• Like 1