Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Roster

Didn't know where to post this but thought it was relevant to UB and recent conversations on our board regarding NIL collectives and facilities. Woj is absolutely correct. It sucks to admit as a mid-major program but a huge part of recruiting now is paying up and taking a year-to-year approach. Will be interesting to see how we fill out our roster.

11 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Didn't know where to post this but thought it was relevant to UB and recent conversations on our board regarding NIL collectives and facilities. Woj is absolutely correct. It sucks to admit as a mid-major program but a huge part of recruiting now is paying up and taking a year-to-year approach. Will be interesting to see how we fill out our roster.

As a UB donor, I would 100% much rather invest in facilities, transport, and player experiences (trips, food, equipment, etc.) than NIL. 

I know the landscape nationally has changed a bit, but these NIL collectives end up hurting the schools. It is only a short term boost if they can get a better recruit, but the program doesn't have too many long-term benefits. For example, if a donor usually gives $500,000 a year to the basketball program, but is now persuaded to give that $500,000 to the NIL collective, the school eventually runs out of money for itself. The one expiration to this is if the program reaches new heights and gets into a better conference and/or sells exponentially more apparel or tickets.

At the mid-major level, the exception isn't likely. Let's put money and resources into the school, into the program and find recruits that want to win basketball games, not get paid enough to drive around in a new sports car.

• Like 3

My school of thought is to build the infrastructure first. Build a great practice facility. Then game facility. Then once that’s set move the funds to NIL. It’s a long term mind set but one that I think is sustainable for a longer duration. Obviously there are 1000 ways to skin a cat. And NIL, until reigned in, isn’t going anywhere. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ukbro00 said:

As a UB donor, I would 100% much rather invest in facilities, transport, and player experiences (trips, food, equipment, etc.) than NIL. 

I know the landscape nationally has changed a bit, but these NIL collectives end up hurting the schools. It is only a short term boost if they can get a better recruit, but the program doesn't have too many long-term benefits. For example, if a donor usually gives $500,000 a year to the basketball program, but is now persuaded to give that $500,000 to the NIL collective, the school eventually runs out of money for itself. The one expiration to this is if the program reaches new heights and gets into a better conference and/or sells exponentially more apparel or tickets.

At the mid-major level, the exception isn't likely. Let's put money and resources into the school, into the program and find recruits that want to win basketball games, not get paid enough to drive around in a new sports car.

I don't think anyone is saying UB needs to pay basketball recruits $50,000+ to sign with our program but it is possible to get kids a few thousand bucks through a collective with a little bit of effort.

The priority should be on improving facilities and making the program sustainable for long term success first and foremost but it's clear that Buffalo can't just ignore NIL's.

There are other mid-majors securing four star recruits and high level transfers. If UB wants to be among the top mid-majors again, they'll have to play the same game as everyone else. Woj comments in the video that if you're not willing to do what it takes, you're gonna fall behind. He even mentions that Bona has to figure things out as well.

The collectives aren't just about bringing players in but they can also play a pivotal role in keeping players at your program. There are mid-major players with agents and family members shopping their services to power programs in season. Schools with collectives can sometimes find ways to convince players to stay.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I don't think anyone is saying UB needs to pay basketball recruits $50,000+ to sign with our program but it is possible to get kids a few thousand bucks through a collective with a little bit of effort.

The priority should be on improving facilities and making the program sustainable for long term success first and foremost but it's clear that Buffalo can't just ignore NIL's.

There are other mid-majors securing four star recruits and high level transfers. If UB wants to be among the top mid-majors again, they'll have to play the same game as everyone else. Woj comments in the video that if you're not willing to do what it takes, you're gonna fall behind. He even mentions that Bona has to figure things out as well.

The collectives aren't just about bringing players in but they can also play a pivotal role in keeping players at your program. There are mid-major players with agents and family members shopping their services to power programs in season. Schools with collectives can sometimes find ways to convince players to stay.

College athletics is feeling so dirty. Having slimy AAU coaches, "family friends" and "agents" is pretty despicable, but I guess that's why we are on this merry-go-round.

Just now, UBinMD said:

College athletics is feeling so dirty. Having slimy AAU coaches, "family friends" and "agents" is pretty despicable, but I guess that's why we are on this merry-go-round.

It’s what has been going on for decades. Just out in the open. Anyone remember the movie Blue Chips? Nothing anyone is doing is new. It’s just public. If anything the playing field is leveling a little, allowing non traditional basketball schools like Miami to make final four runs.

19 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It’s what has been going on for decades. Just out in the open. Anyone remember the movie Blue Chips? Nothing anyone is doing is new. It’s just public. If anything the playing field is leveling a little, allowing non traditional basketball schools like Miami to make final four runs.

True, I guess before it just felt like the big programs, but you are probably right it's just now out in the open. I remember Blue Chips very well. I guess since major gambling sites are the major sponsors for most athletics now, this is the new norm. Can't really get invested in any specific players at this point, just root for a program and hope for the best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have to imagine we'll be linked to some transfer PGs soon. As thin as the roster remains, PG is empty (Sabol profiles more as a shooter especially as freshman). Offering up 30+ starting minutes in a guard-centric offense should be enough to land a solid veteran to bridge a year or two. Need two developmental ball-handlers behind that guy. 

• Like 3

Does UB usually do a day where they announce new recruits and such? Seeing a red carpet, a media backdrop (bunch of bulls logos), and a balloon arch inside center for the arts. There’s no graduation events today and staff is saying they’re closing at 5. Could be something arts related but there’s a bunch of people walking around with what I usually see the athletics department wearing. 

45 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

Does UB usually do a day where they announce new recruits and such? Seeing a red carpet, a media backdrop (bunch of bulls logos), and a balloon arch inside center for the arts. There’s no graduation events today and staff is saying they’re closing at 5. Could be something arts related but there’s a bunch of people walking around with what I usually see the athletics department wearing. 

No idea, but good observation. Maybe we will get a surprise and a whole new team will be announced today.

On 5/3/2023 at 1:35 AM, MuchMany said:

Have to imagine we'll be linked to some transfer PGs soon. As thin as the roster remains, PG is empty (Sabol profiles more as a shooter especially as freshman). Offering up 30+ starting minutes in a guard-centric offense should be enough to land a solid veteran to bridge a year or two. Need two developmental ball-handlers behind that guy. 

Any chance we can get Mika Adams-Woods to play a year here, just entered the portal.

I’m not desperate. We don’t need one year bandaids who are gonna come in and want to be the lead dogs and stunt the growth of younger players. If you get me a transfer with multiple years of eligibility I’m down. But I’ll pass on one year rentals. Unless it’s the “final piece”

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m not desperate. We don’t need one year bandaids who are gonna come in and want to be the lead dogs and stunt the growth of younger players. If you get me a transfer with multiple years of eligibility I’m down. But I’ll pass on one year rentals. Unless it’s the “final piece”

I agree 100%, if an option is available that could yield longer term success, you go with that option.  My view was not a matter of desperation, but a desire to balance the future with possible success in the upcoming season.   There may be some young long term success guys still available, but there are fewer of them, so I wouldn't totally rule out a one year rental. 

10 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Kevin wants more top 150 recruits, instead of diamonds.  
Duh.  
There are still extra scholarships in this class, that we don’t know how many recruits are actually being pursued. 

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

I agree 100%, if an option is available that could yield longer term success, you go with that option.  My view was not a matter of desperation, but a desire to balance the future with possible success in the upcoming season.   There may be some young long term success guys still available, but there are fewer of them, so I wouldn't totally rule out a one year rental. 

We may need some transfers or holding back a scholarship or 2 to rebalance things a little as well. 

43 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

We may need some transfers or holding back a scholarship or 2 to rebalance things a little as well. 

Yeah there's room for one or two Armoni Fosters with a year of eligibility to stabilize things (esp at PG), while still being able to recruit those scholarships for the following season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Yeah there's room for one or two Armoni Fosters with a year of eligibility to stabilize things (esp at PG), while still being able to recruit those scholarships for the following season. 

It also tells me he’s not looking for a 1 or 2 year splash and bounce, he may want to lay a sustainable foundation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

Lol 5 returning players...a few years ago would have been an utter disaster, now not so bad an outcome, especially after a coaching change.

It’s tough to keep 5 players each year even when you don’t have a coaching change.