Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

George Halcovage III the next UB Men's Basketball Coach

Jeseph

3 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

That 90s old heads comment was kinda a massive hint. 

While Canisius might not be impressive. He helped coach several players going to big time programs while at Team Takeover. 

https://basketball.realgm.com/aau/circuit/1/Nike-EYBL-17U/team/50/Team-Takeover/players

Notables being 

Justin Moore for the 'Nova connection

Hunter Dickinson for the yes that Hunter Dickinson....

Great call. That roster was STACKED. We should expect the DMV-to-UB pipeline to flow. 

Just now, MuchMany said:

Great call. That roster was STACKED. We should expect the DMV-to-UB pipeline to flow. 

Wow no kidding, even the lesser known players on that team that started at mid-majors are now at high majors. EJ Jarvis (Yale->Florida), Josh Oduro (George Mason->Providence), Jahmir Young (Charlotte->Maryland). 10 high major players, two others that went to Ivys. That is a hell of an AAU program

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I've met tons of impressive salesmen, wouldn't necessarily want them to build anything for me. Different skill sets. Maybe he will do well and my pessimism will be misplaced, time will tell. I am happy with our hire.

All coaches' intro press conferences are the same... "I knew that I wanted to be here because it felt like home"..."After I spoke with The Athletic Director I knew that I wanted to be a part of this University"..."It was going to take something special to get me to leave my previous job, and this was the right fit"...(Acknowledges current players)..."We're going to play a brand of basketball that people want to watch"..."I can't wait to get to work." 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, capencaper said:

All coaches' intro press conferences are the same... "I knew that I wanted to be here because it felt like home"..."After I spoke with The Athletic Director I knew that I wanted to be a part of this University"..."It was going to take something special to get me to leave my previous job, and this was the right fit"...(Acknowledges current players)..."We're going to play a brand of basketball that people want to watch"..."I can't wait to get to work." 

That's why I like our new coach's presser, gave the bullshit as you stated above in 5 minutes, answered some questions from the crowd and moved on. Tells me he is more on substance that inflating his ego further. The one thing I do think may be true is that he and his wife likely have a special place in their heart for Buffalo since that's where their journey began. That type of thing is real. That up against a $2 million job somewhere else will not hold up, however. 🤣

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Wow no kidding, even the lesser known players on that team that started at mid-majors are now at high majors. EJ Jarvis (Yale->Florida), Josh Oduro (George Mason->Providence), Jahmir Young (Charlotte->Maryland). 10 high major players, two others that went to Ivys. That is a hell of an AAU program

Seriously. The DMV is imo the best metro for producing hoopers for a decade now. A lot of pride and competition with loads of talent. Hopefully our basketball recruiting can copy some of football's success down there. 

16 minutes ago, capencaper said:

I think most are like that, but I think you can get points added if you can say something inspiring that somebody normally wouldn't think of to say. Likewise you can get points taken away if you flub a question. I remember when Alnutt was being introduced somebody asked him "Why Buffalo?" and his answer was "Why not?" 🥴

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I don’t understand the hate towards Hodgson. I’ll forever be grateful for what he and Oats did here. What he’s done with the TBT roster. We got our guy. He wasn’t our guy. It is what it is. I hope he does well. And I really hope we play his squad. Could be real fun. 

I agree with this.  His success - whether it be at Alabama, Arkansas St, TBT - helps raise UB's profile, and I've never seen him badmouth UB or anything of the sort.  He's seemingly a talented young coach with a bright future and strong UB connections - I'm pulling for him.  Except if/when they play UB, of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Is Foley officially staying? I didn't see a specific announcement. Any word on Tom Fox?

According to his Twitter, he is. He removed the "former" on it. 

I'd assume Fox is gone with Saunders taking the spot.

17 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Is Foley officially staying? I didn't see a specific announcement. Any word on Tom Fox?

I'd be surprised/disappointed if Foley stays on. I don't see him as a hotshot recruiter, and with 75% of our roster probably transferring and no incoming recruits, there's no real need for a continuity assistant. In a way, I see Cage as the continuity hire almost, with local and program familiarity. My guess is Halcovage will have his own version of Foley in place soon. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kevin said:

According to his Twitter, he is. He removed the "former" on it. 

I'd assume Fox is gone with Saunders taking the spot.

I wouldn't take much from a Twitter bio

Likely was an agreement with the school to stay on and be there for the current players guide them through the next steps as well until a new coach was hired

Seems like a good dude, hope he stays around 

Edited by Tee4three

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

In a way, I see Cage as the continuity hire almost, with local and program familiarity.

Coach H spoke to this at his presser. I think he genuinely believes on “basketball families”. Look at the Nova coaching history, they bring guys up from GA, video, DBO, assistant/associate. It’s no surprise to me to see him ask for a list of UB guys who are coaching and to immediately bring one in, and I love it. It also makes sense for him to promote Saunders and “keep him in the Halcovage tree”. I think this guy knows how to build a program, not just slap a few coaches/players together and hope for the best.

• Like 1

Tom Fox removed UB from his social media bios which is expected with another DOBO being announced yesterday. I will assume that Foley and Fitzpatrick are sticking until we see something suggesting otherwise. I'm guessing the 3rd assistant will be an Associate HC with head coaching experience similar to Whitesell joining Oats' staff.

Head Coach: George Halcovage III
Associate Head Coach: ?
Assistant Coach: Calvin Cage
Assistant Coach: Brendan Foley (?)
Director of Basketball Operations: Tim Saunders
Video Coordinator: Jack Fitzpatrick (?)

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

Tom Fox removed UB from his social media bios which is expected with another DOBO being announced yesterday. I will assume that Foley and Fitzpatrick are sticking until we see something suggesting otherwise. I'm guessing the 3rd assistant will be an Associate HC with head coaching experience similar to Whitesell joining Oats' staff.

Head Coach: George Halcovage III
Associate Head Coach: ?
Assistant Coach: Calvin Cage
Assistant Coach: Brendan Foley (?)
Director of Basketball Operations: Tim Saunders
Video Coordinator: Jack Fitzpatrick (?)

I heard Jay Wright's wife doesn't want him hanging around the house anymore, he is driving her nuts in retirements, so maybe he will take the Associate HC gig.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I heard Jay Wright's wife doesn't want him hanging around the house anymore, he is driving her nuts in retirements, so maybe he will take the Associate HC gig.

And he said he made his money at Villanova + on TV so he will do it for free 🤣