Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

NIL and it's relation to wins

Chet

2 hours ago, UBlearns said:

But the Tilman Fertittas and T Boone Pickenses and Phil Knights of the world don't grow on trees.  

Spot on with your post. But regarding this last point, give it a couple years - there are some things cooking, at least for hoops. Hopefully they keep things in the rails until then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MuchMany said:

This absolutely untrue fyi from personal and anecdotal experience. The number of people I've seen socializing and enjoying a drink in the concourse this year during 20 point losses alone shows it's been appreciated. Not to mention it's just civilized to offer adults beverages should they choose to partake.

But would those people have gone to the game if there was no beer?  There is a difference between enjoying something that is offered for sale and only going because it is available.  As I said if you need to be able to have a beer at a game to go to a game you may have a problem.

9 hours ago, TheCommish said:

I'm trying to start one,

Contact UB Athletic Compliance and they will guide you as to what has to be done to start a NIL collective, then call a lawyer.

By the way the last time I was in Buffalo, I spoke with people in the Athletic Department about a way to start an NIL fundraiser.  But because of the change that would occur to do what I had suggested, they would have to find another way to fill the whole in their budget caused by the loss of income.

9 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Do you really think someone will come to a game for sunglasses? No, it's extra/bonus just as beer is. it is not going to bring one extra person to a game are you against giveaways then? 

Actually give aways do bring extra people to games.  In the dark days of the Horace Clarke era for the Yankees, Bat Day would sellout every year, 67,000+.  The rest of season 20,000 was a good crowd,  Also as someone posted someplace here, on Tuesday a large percentage of the students left after the winner of the Drake tickets was announced.  So people went to the game for a giveaway.  Sometimes people will go to a game for the halftime show, i.e. Tony Hawk at a football game years ago.

55 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

By the way the last time I was in Buffalo, I spoke with people in the Athletic Department about a way to start an NIL fundraiser.  But because of the change that would occur to do what I had suggested, they would have to find another way to fill the whole in their budget caused by the loss of income.

I don't doubt that this is the case, but you know what else will cause a hole in the athletics budget due to loss of income?  Dwindling results on the court and on the field because you haven't been able to keep up with the changing NIL times.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

I don't doubt that this is the case, but you know what else will cause a hole in the athletics budget due to loss of income?  Dwindling results on the court and on the field because you haven't been able to keep up with the changing NIL times.

JMU should be a good model to learn from and follow. They made the investments, have really nice facilities and are competitive in everything and dominate in some things. It can happen and they should not have more resources that we do in the grand scheme.

19 hours ago, clodney said:

Good lord! How many annoying know-it-alls are there in Buffalo?? Your posts are all so condescending. Just state your opinion and stop telling everyone how the world works.

Its hard when there is a fundamental miss understanding of what NIL money is.  The school just can't take money from the Arts Department and fund a NIL program to pay athletes and charter flights through NIL. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Contact UB Athletic Compliance and they will guide you as to what has to be done to start a NIL collective, then call a lawyer.

Actually give aways do bring extra people to games.  In the dark days of the Horace Clarke era for the Yankees, Bat Day would sellout every year, 67,000+.  The rest of season 20,000 was a good crowd,  Also as someone posted someplace here, on Tuesday a large percentage of the students left after the winner of the Drake tickets was announced.  So people went to the game for a giveaway.  Sometimes people will go to a game for the halftime show, i.e. Tony Hawk at a football game years ago.

I know how to start one. I’m hoping we have a attorney willing to do pro-bono work.

I don’t want an UB lifer involved at all. I’d do the opposite of what they told me. I think the people that have been on the campus for 15+ years are not the solution. I knew White was good because he was very ambitious and wanted to rock the boat. People are still crying about NYBI. 

you really do state opinions as facts. You and I both know, we have no way of proving anyone attends a game or doesn’t attend a game because of beer or giveaways. You picked out drake but didn’t mention the sunglasses. The sunglasses were temu quality. You can’t state that anyone is attending a game because of giveaway or new people are attending because of xyz. 

4 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Its hard when there is a fundamental miss understanding of what NIL money is.  The school just can't take money from the Arts Department and fund a NIL program to pay athletes and charter flights through NIL. 

No one is asking that. I’m asking for ub to eliminate waste, reallocate to athletics and fund the department properly to avoid body bag games to fund the swim team.

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

But would those people have gone to the game if there was no beer?  There is a difference between enjoying something that is offered for sale and only going because it is available.  As I said if you need to be able to have a beer at a game to go to a game you may have a problem.

It's a strange teetotaling misnomer that an adult "needs" to have a beer if they'd simply like to have one at a game. Plus food and drink offerings are obviously a key consideration in modern sports entertainment.

So yes, I'm hypothesizing that some would have chosen not to attend, evidenced by the already meager crowds for the awful on-court product. "With this team, I need glasses to watch. Specifically two glasses, of scotch." (Shout out to the goat Norm Macdonald.)

If a couple buddies in their 20s-30s are considering going to a UB game vs grabbing food and drinks somewhere on a winter evening, it's likely that the option to have a few beers at the game (like hundreds of millions have at sporting events since the Roman Empire) would influence their decision.

UB poobahs would be wise to listen to any advice that breaks up the staid, septuagenarian vibes at basketball and football games. New voices are needed to revamp the deathly boring game presentation and arena experience. We already have quite a few libraries on campus, we don't need Alumni to be one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheCommish said:

No one is asking that. I’m asking for ub to eliminate waste, reallocate to athletics and fund the department properly to avoid body bag games to fund the swim team.

It's understandable that you're concerned about the allocation of resources within the university, particularly towards athletics and other programs such as the swim team. However, it's important to consider the broader financial dynamics and obligations that universities face, especially those with major athletic programs.

Financial Constraints: Universities operate within budgetary constraints, with funding allocated to various departments and programs based on a range of factors including historical commitments, donor preferences, and institutional priorities. While reallocating resources may seem straightforward, it often involves complex financial decisions and trade-offs.

Athletics as Revenue Source: Major universities often rely on revenue generated by their athletic programs to support various aspects of the institution, including scholarships, facilities, and academic programs. Eliminating "body bag games," where smaller teams are paid to play larger, more competitive teams, may impact the revenue streams crucial for sustaining the athletic department and other university initiatives.

Compliance and Equity: Universities must comply with Title IX regulations, which mandate gender equity in athletic opportunities and funding. This means that decisions regarding resource allocation must consider equity across different sports and gender lines. Simply reallocating funds from one area to another may not be feasible without risking non-compliance with these regulations.

Long-Term Planning: While reallocating funds to support specific programs like the swim team may seem like a solution in the short term, it's essential to consider the long-term sustainability and impact on the university's overall mission and strategic goals. Sustainable funding models require careful planning and consideration of various factors beyond immediate financial needs.

Stakeholder Involvement: Decisions about resource allocation typically involve input from various stakeholders, including faculty, administrators, students, alumni, and donors. It's essential to engage these stakeholders in transparent and inclusive decision-making processes to ensure buy-in and support for any proposed changes.

In summary, while addressing concerns about resource allocation within the university is valid, it's essential to recognize the complexities involved in reallocating funds, especially within the context of a major university with diverse financial obligations and stakeholder interests. Any proposed changes should be part of a comprehensive, well-informed strategy that considers the long-term implications and aligns with the institution's broader mission and values.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

It's a strange teetotaling misnomer that an adult "needs" to have a beer if they'd simply like to have one at a game. Plus food and drink offerings are obviously a key consideration in modern sports entertainment.

So yes, I'm hypothesizing that some would have chosen not to attend, evidenced by the already meager crowds for the awful on-court product. "With this team, I need glasses to watch. Specifically two glasses, of scotch." (Shout out to the goat Norm Macdonald.)

If a couple buddies in their 20s-30s are considering going to a UB game vs grabbing food and drinks somewhere on a winter evening, it's likely that the option to have a few beers at the game (like hundreds of millions have at sporting events since the Roman Empire) would influence their decision.

UB poobahs would be wise to listen to any advice that breaks up the staid, septuagenarian vibes at basketball and football games. New voices are needed to revamp the deathly boring game presentation and arena experience. We already have quite a few libraries on campus, we don't need Alumni to be one.

I don’t “need” WiFi to enjoy a game but I like having it so I can check scores or stats during the game.

I don’t “need” concession stands to take credit cards, but I will make fun of local rivals for not accepting them.

UB doesn’t “need” a mascot, scoreboard, in-arena announcer for games. We’re all there to watch basketball, right?

But all of those things add up to the gameday experience. And when the team is good, it matters less. CJ making threes from West Seneca and Nick Perkins making Akron bigs his bitch you could excuse some lack of amenities. But right now the men’s team sucks so less people are coming and the people that do come are going to want the gameday experience to not suck. I admit, I really don’t care for a lot of the “extra” stuff but I also am in the minority (just give me WiFi and credit cards). Families are going to want entertainment between airballed three pointers.

I don’t think there’s many people saying “I’m going to the UB game because there’s beer” but if there’s no beer, no fire shooting stage props, no blue bull running around, obnoxious DJs, AND bad basketball, there’s going to be less people around. Which those of us in Buffalo see.

This is my whole argument for the track being removed at UB Stadium, except I think being in a different zip code in the stands might influence a bit more than adult beverages.

I’ve returned to some college football stadiums specifically for non-football related reasons. UMass I made a priority to go back because of their world class marching band. I took a day off to drive to Virginia Tech because it is an absolute circus during Enter Sandman. I stayed an extra day in West Virginia after the UB basketball win to sing Country Roads after a football win. Last year I went to Penn State on a day’s notice because I found cheap tickets, heard the Ohio State band was visiting, and wanted to go to the creamery for “lunch.” The gameday experience absolutely matters.

ETA: The long line of people outside the PSU creamery with large coolers after the game didn’t go to the game to load up on ice cream, but people that might be more marginally attached to the program have more of an incentive to drive from Pittsburgh to State College if they can watch their football team AND fill up their freezer for a year. 

Edited by rma
too many people lined up with coolers to not include that fact
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, rma said:

I don’t “need” WiFi to enjoy a game but I like having it so I can check scores or stats during the game.

I don’t “need” concession stands to take credit cards, but I will make fun of local rivals for not accepting them.

UB doesn’t “need” a mascot, scoreboard, in-arena announcer for games. We’re all there to watch basketball, right?

But all of those things add up to the gameday experience. And when the team is good, it matters less. CJ making threes from West Seneca and Nick Perkins making Akron bigs his bitch you could excuse some lack of amenities. But right now the men’s team sucks so less people are coming and the people that do come are going to want the gameday experience to not suck. I admit, I really don’t care for a lot of the “extra” stuff but I also am in the minority (just give me WiFi and credit cards). Families are going to want entertainment between airballed three pointers.

I don’t think there’s many people saying “I’m going to the UB game because there’s beer” but if there’s no beer, no fire shooting stage props, no blue bull running around, obnoxious DJs, AND bad basketball, there’s going to be less people around. Which those of us in Buffalo see.

This is my whole argument for the track being removed at UB Stadium, except I think being in a different zip code in the stands might influence a bit more than adult beverages.

I’ve returned to some college football stadiums specifically for non-football related reasons. UMass I made a priority to go back because of their world class marching band. I took a day off to drive to Virginia Tech because it is an absolute circus during Enter Sandman. I stayed an extra day in West Virginia after the UB basketball win to sing Country Roads after a football win. Last year I went to Penn State on a day’s notice because I found cheap tickets, heard the Ohio State band was visiting, and wanted to go to the creamery for “lunch.” The gameday experience absolutely matters.

ETA: The long line of people outside the PSU creamery with large coolers after the game didn’t go to the game to load up on ice cream, but people that might be more marginally attached to the program have more of an incentive to drive from Pittsburgh to State College if they can watch their football team AND fill up their freezer for a year. 

Completely agree with everything you said. Priority number 1 for me has always been the track. UB stadium as a whole has the worst lines of sight out of any stadium I have been to from high school, D3, D1 and NFL.

7 minutes ago, SGBull said:

Completely agree with everything you said. Priority number 1 for me has always been the track. UB stadium as a whole has the worst lines of sight out of any stadium I have been to from high school, D3, D1 and NFL.

I just keep reading through this and previous posts and it's all just maddening. We want millions for NIL, want the track removed, new amenities, everything. We need that track gone so that the 500 people in attendance on a Tuesday night can enjoy the game more I guess. I really enjoyed when I could just watch the games, players, coaches and enjoy the sport and game being played in front of me. Now it seems that it's about the $$, for players, coaches, staff, along with all of the frills that they have now. When I went to UB, I was more than happy with just going to school, getting to compete as an athlete, and getting a few tiny little perks for having done so. Now, UB recruits people that no one else wants, and once they develop, they leave for $$. If they don't play, they leave because the coach had it in for them. It's all nonsense and frankly not nearly an enjoyable experience as an alumnus/fan as compared to as recently as 5 years ago. Listening to the non-stop griping from a handful of people on here,  those on Twitter/X, but few, if any, doing anything to improve the situation. When Reggie was making $150k, it was too much $$ for some, now our coaches make 400-700k and it's still not enough, and the players don't make enough, and the ADs don't make enough. I enjoyed UB athletics as amateur/college sports, now it's just a joke, and reading all this is even more of one. 

As bad as this basketball season has been, it's still been nice to see those who I've sat with at games for 10+ years (as we whine from our seats about how ugly what we're watching is). Sadly, those numbers alongside me have dwindled as the season has gone on, and I'm quite confident they will continue to do so moving forward.

Priority #1 for me always has been the game, being entertained, following growth of players over the seasons and being connected to the school, players and coaches. Very little of that seems to be in place anymore, sadly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

It's understandable that you're concerned about the allocation of resources within the university, particularly towards athletics and other programs such as the swim team. However, it's important to consider the broader financial dynamics and obligations that universities face, especially those with major athletic programs.

Financial Constraints: Universities operate within budgetary constraints, with funding allocated to various departments and programs based on a range of factors including historical commitments, donor preferences, and institutional priorities. While reallocating resources may seem straightforward, it often involves complex financial decisions and trade-offs.

Athletics as Revenue Source: Major universities often rely on revenue generated by their athletic programs to support various aspects of the institution, including scholarships, facilities, and academic programs. Eliminating "body bag games," where smaller teams are paid to play larger, more competitive teams, may impact the revenue streams crucial for sustaining the athletic department and other university initiatives.

Compliance and Equity: Universities must comply with Title IX regulations, which mandate gender equity in athletic opportunities and funding. This means that decisions regarding resource allocation must consider equity across different sports and gender lines. Simply reallocating funds from one area to another may not be feasible without risking non-compliance with these regulations.

Long-Term Planning: While reallocating funds to support specific programs like the swim team may seem like a solution in the short term, it's essential to consider the long-term sustainability and impact on the university's overall mission and strategic goals. Sustainable funding models require careful planning and consideration of various factors beyond immediate financial needs.

Stakeholder Involvement: Decisions about resource allocation typically involve input from various stakeholders, including faculty, administrators, students, alumni, and donors. It's essential to engage these stakeholders in transparent and inclusive decision-making processes to ensure buy-in and support for any proposed changes.

In summary, while addressing concerns about resource allocation within the university is valid, it's essential to recognize the complexities involved in reallocating funds, especially within the context of a major university with diverse financial obligations and stakeholder interests. Any proposed changes should be part of a comprehensive, well-informed strategy that considers the long-term implications and aligns with the institution's broader mission and values.

chatgpt?

NIL has 0 to do with Title IX, if NIL is separate.

Long-Term Planning: If UB Athletics has long term planning, shouldn't we stop funding facility projects for athletics until the employment status of college athletes is determined, otherwise, what will the new facility be used for when UB athletics can't afford to pay the football players? 

Is the University at Buffalo operating at 100% efficiency rate with 0% waste?

Are you positive the athletic department is 100% compliant with title IX?

Football locker room is top notch, what about the swim locker room? 

Stakeholder Involvement, if someone is willing to donate $50 million to football only, do we accept the money or does Title IX become a factor?

Edited by TheCommish

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

We need that track gone so that the 500 people in attendance on a Tuesday night can enjoy the game more I guess.

We need it gone to improve the fan experience so that we have more than 500 people in attendance on a Tuesday night. And because it is no longer standard to have a track around a football field in division 1 football anymore. Lance had a better stadium (from a fan perspective) at UWW than we have here. 

The rest of what you said I don’t necessarily disagree with, it’s just how the industry has changed. Cam Newton took (allegedly) around $200k to play at Auburn. These days $200k wouldn’t get you close to a heisman winner. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rma said:

The rest of what you said I don’t necessarily disagree with, it’s just how the industry has changed. Cam Newton took (allegedly) around $200k to play at Auburn. These days $200k wouldn’t get you close to a heisman winner. 

It was Newton's father.

1 hour ago, rma said:

We need it gone to improve the fan experience so that we have more than 500 people in attendance on a Tuesday night. And because it is no longer standard to have a track around a football field in division 1 football anymore. Lance had a better stadium (from a fan perspective) at UWW than we have here. 

Whether the track is there or not, no one is going to sit outside on a work night, on a 30 degree day in rain/snow/wind, for a game that pits 2 teams with 5 wins each, in the MAC. If it was UB vs Bama, people would show. UB vs Kent, not happening beyond those that are die hard supporters or the halftime kids and their family. I've watched games in that stadium for 25 years and I've never felt, "boy, this view sucks". I've thought, "wow, I can't see the replay on that screen", "damn, it's windy out here", and recently "wow, I don't get that coaching decision". Nor do I have the millions of dollars to remove the track, which supports 6 of the 16 teams that is required for MAC membership. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I just keep reading through this and previous posts and it's all just maddening. We want millions for NIL, want the track removed, new amenities, everything. We need that track gone so that the 500 people in attendance on a Tuesday night can enjoy the game more I guess. I really enjoyed when I could just watch the games, players, coaches and enjoy the sport and game being played in front of me. Now it seems that it's about the $$, for players, coaches, staff, along with all of the frills that they have now. When I went to UB, I was more than happy with just going to school, getting to compete as an athlete, and getting a few tiny little perks for having done so. Now, UB recruits people that no one else wants, and once they develop, they leave for $$. If they don't play, they leave because the coach had it in for them. It's all nonsense and frankly not nearly an enjoyable experience as an alumnus/fan as compared to as recently as 5 years ago. Listening to the non-stop griping from a handful of people on here,  those on Twitter/X, but few, if any, doing anything to improve the situation. When Reggie was making $150k, it was too much $$ for some, now our coaches make 400-700k and it's still not enough, and the players don't make enough, and the ADs don't make enough. I enjoyed UB athletics as amateur/college sports, now it's just a joke, and reading all this is even more of one. 

As bad as this basketball season has been, it's still been nice to see those who I've sat with at games for 10+ years (as we whine from our seats about how ugly what we're watching is). Sadly, those numbers alongside me have dwindled as the season has gone on, and I'm quite confident they will continue to do so moving forward.

Priority #1 for me always has been the game, being entertained, following growth of players over the seasons and being connected to the school, players and coaches. Very little of that seems to be in place anymore, sadly.

I feel like you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I went to almost every (if not every) UB game when I lived in Buffalo. I still would be going if I lived there now.

What my point was, that as an athletics department, they should always be looking to improve the sports programs. Part of that is improving gameday experience. Within gameday experience, is having a football stadium that makes it more enjoyable to watch a game. Priority #1 for me in particular would be starting to allocate a budget to eventually remove the track. There are many other things they could focus on (new scoreboard, better concessions, locker rooms, other facilities, etc.

We are all on this board (minus a couple of trolls) because we care about the UB Bulls. Part of caring about that is almost always wanting them to win. It is not realistic to think that gameday experience has no impact to a winning program. Obviously if I could choose between consant MAC Champion teams with a track versus bad teams with no track, I would choose the former. 

1 hour ago, SGBull said:

I feel like you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I went to almost every (if not every) UB game when I lived in Buffalo. I still would be going if I lived there now.

What my point was, that as an athletics department, they should always be looking to improve the sports programs. Part of that is improving gameday experience. Within gameday experience, is having a football stadium that makes it more enjoyable to watch a game. Priority #1 for me in particular would be starting to allocate a budget to eventually remove the track. There are many other things they could focus on (new scoreboard, better concessions, locker rooms, other facilities, etc.

We are all on this board (minus a couple of trolls) because we care about the UB Bulls. Part of caring about that is almost always wanting them to win. It is not realistic to think that gameday experience has no impact to a winning program. Obviously if I could choose between consant MAC Champion teams with a track versus bad teams with no track, I would choose the former. 

I’d rather fund the buyout of a bad coach, upgrade to charter flights, or fund NIL than remove the track. If we were 11-0, people would fill it but we lost to an FCS team twice. 

12 hours ago, TheCommish said:

I’d rather fund the buyout of a bad coach, upgrade to charter flights, or fund NIL than remove the track. If we were 11-0, people would fill it but we lost to an FCS team twice. 

It seems your just hell bent on making UB into a P5 school with pulling money out of every where because there is bound to be waste so the money is there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Wow this is an absolute game changer! There should be no excuse for Alnutt not coordinating in some capacity either directly or indirectly with every booster, corporate sponsor, alumni and donor to establish a viable NIL program for every UB sport. His goal should be complete domination of UB athletics in the MAC period. That means giving coaches the tools to get players to win, there is no more excuses for not having a NIL as part of recruiting to UB. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

Wow this is an absolute game changer! There should be no excuse for Alnutt not coordinating in some capacity either directly or indirectly with every booster, corporate sponsor, alumni and donor to establish a viable NIL program for every UB sport. His goal should be complete domination of UB athletics in the MAC period. That means giving coaches the tools to get players to win, there is no more excuses for not having a NIL as part of recruiting to UB. 

I'd like to propose we all start looking at donating to NIL collective instead of the university. The department has nothing but a policy on the web site (https://ubbulls.com/documents/2024/2/8/UB_NIL_Pillars_2024.pdf) We should allow corporations to sponsor/gik to the department but individual contributions should go towards recruiting the best. I'm going to make some calls.

This is one of the better ones for mid-majors https://www.theggguard.com/ and yes, the "donations are considered tax-deductible" 

Open letters 

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/judge-grants-preliminary-injunction-in-tennessee-virginia-nil-lawsuit-versus-ncaa/

Edited by TheCommish

With UMass joining the MAC and having a comparable athletics budget to UB at 40mil or so I was curious to see what they had in terms of Collective/NIL and well its pretty well defined. 
 https://umassathletics.com/sports/2023/9/22/massachusetts-nil
https://www.on3.com/nil/collectives/the-massachusetts-collective-188/

"Patrick MacWilliams founded The Massachusetts Collective in October 2022 with a goal of signing three to five players on the men’s basketball team at UMass every season"

They have a very active social media presence promoting the collective and NIL opportunities for the players   https://twitter.com/TheMassCo
My hope is Alnutt and his team are working diligently to ensure UB athletics will remain competitive.