Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach In: Pete Lembo

Bill

5 hours ago, Tee4three said:

I was never a big fan of mo (too much salesman for my liking), but this guy I think will be solid.

Interested in learning how he shapes the roster

He sounds like a guy that knows how to do it

Lembo needs to bring in someone who can recruit as well as Mo could.

5 hours ago, capencaper said:

Lembo needs to bring in someone who can recruit as well as Mo could.

Some of the UB alums must be watching a different UB Bulls football team than what I watched. Maurice Linquist the talent level went way down from what Lance Leipold was bringing in. Some of these Maurice Linquist recruits were scary bad talent wise that had no speed to separate to get open offensively. We had to be one of the slowest and physically weakest football teams in the MAC. Our offensive line sucked. Certainly not gamers look what Lance Leipold was bringing in we had two good QB not just one and an offensive line that was physical that could pound the rock. Maurice Linquist was a fraud who talked a good game but his recruits were terrible in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

3 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Lance never had heralded recruiting classes. But he developed them like crazy and recruited to his system. That’s all I ask for. MAC level guys aren’t watched super closely. 

You aren't getting multi-star recruits. The trick in the MAC is to develop players. That's what makes coaching so important. Mo wasn't just in over his head, he was at the bottom of pool.

• Like 2

Alnutt takes criticism which he should.  But he’s not a complete idiot. That product Mo put on the field last season had to embarrass the heck out of the AD.  Those last 4 games on the ESPN networks were low FCS quality football at best. maybe even worse.  I think this is a good choice to get the program in the right direction. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, promotherobot said:

You aren't getting multi-star recruits. The trick in the MAC is to develop players. That's what makes coaching so important. Mo wasn't just in over his head, he was at the bottom of pool.

Bingo we have a winner no more calls. Couldn’t have said it better myself. Maurice Linquist will never be a winning head coach he doesn’t have it. He got three years here and I think realistically he knew deep down being a head coach isn’t his calling. The Buffalo big city pressure got to him and he got scared and ran away to a slow pace area in Alabama before he was fired from Buffalo. Regardless of what coaches say they read social media and he knew Buffalo fans wanted him gone. Throw out what is acceptable at the 11 other MAC schools Buffalo is unique you need to make a good first impression right away and you need to win games in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

While I am interested in whatever coach speak Lembo spews at the presser this afternoon, overall it is a pretty uninspired hire.  

But UB’s leadership and commitment from the very top on through the AD have been uninspiring these least several years, so this shouldn’t be a surprise.  

I would expect middle of the pack, at best, for the next few years.  

At least it seems we will have good special teams!   

4 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I think this will prove to be a good hire.  I've seen posts from people that know a lot more about football than most everyone on this board, that are very positive about the hire.

I tend to agree with you on that. He has a lot of support from people that you would think would know about these things. I'm not sure what would have been an "inspiring hire" based upon our conference and financial abilities, but the more I read about this guy and his path and success, the more I think he can get us in the right direction. He is heralded as not just a  good coach, but a good human, which goes a long way and usually resonates with players. We will see how it plays out, but this is our coach and until he proves otherwise, I am behind him and his vision for our future. I'm looking forward to the Press Conference, but don't expect to hear much that is earthshattering. He meets with the team at 1pm and that will be more important in my opinion.🤘🤘

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JFH47 said:

it's been reported that UB gave him a 5 year contract. Let’s hope th AD did the right hire for such  a long term contract.

This is pretty standard.  It is hard to go into a recruits home and not have the contract guarantee that you will be there the whole time they are.

As for the hire, I don't need coach speak today, Mo did enough of that to get me through the next 5 years.  I just want a football guy, who doesn't care about the distractions. I will be interested to see what kind of staff he builds around him.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, ukbro00 said:

He is polar opposite of Mo. 

Humble, zero overconfidence, preaches doing things the right way without flash.

Impressed by Day 1 - Let's see what he does now.

Well said.  The proof is in the pudding; but the ingredients sure look good.

2 hours ago, ukbro00 said:

He is polar opposite of Mo. 

Humble, zero overconfidence, preaches doing things the right way without flash.

Impressed by Day 1 - Let's see what he does now.

1 hour ago, verandaman said:

Well said.  The proof is in the pudding; but the ingredients sure look good.

56 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

With the quick turnaround on this. I am thinking that the ball was moving before Mo officially left. 

Just give us competent football to start. The comment about not beating yourself couldn't be more apt here.

Edited by promotherobot
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Based on Lenzi's article, Mo is even more of a self-absorbed, striver, charlatan than I ever could have imagined before. Day 4 of waiting for that statement he promised, his thesaurus must be getting one hell of a workout.

He would be stupid to even issue a statement at this point. The ship has sailed, UB has moved on. He has skulked down to Alabama, so I don't need anything else.

16 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

He would be stupid to even issue a statement at this point. The ship has sailed, UB has moved on. He has skulked down to Alabama, so I don't need anything else.

Sure, same. But he said it. Guess I'll have to add "liar" to the list eventually.

• Haha 1