Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB vs EMU @7pm

Fully aware that's a now 3-10 MAC play EMU team... but I'm not gonna deny that we are playing better basketball since the Georgia Southern game. Some promising signs of life for next season perhaps?

8 assists for Fulcher. Zaakir giving us huge, productive minutes with Jo in foul trouble. 

Go Bulls 🤘

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eyjee said:

Fully aware that's a now 3-10 MAC play EMU team... but I'm not gonna deny that we are playing better basketball since the Georgia Southern game. Some promising signs of life for next season perhaps?

8 assists for Fulcher. Zaakir giving us huge, productive minutes with Jo in foul trouble. 

Go Bulls 🤘

I’ve not posted a lot this season bc of overall down state on this board but objectively speaking it’s pretty clear that we are playing better ball. We will worry about next year in two weeks when the season ends but it is nice to get a win. And show some signs of life that can possibly bleed over into the next game. Agree that it was the two worst teams in the conference but maybe to end the season we can find a way to get wins against WMU and NIU and just compete strong in the other games. Scrapping the bottom of the barrel here I know but that’s where we are. Go Bulls.

• Like 1

Good win for the Bulls.  Great to see Zaakir coming into his own.

Shot just 21% from 3 as a team but kept the attempts under 20 so UB now 4-2 when that happens.  Also 4-2 when we score 76+ pts, and both L’s (vs FDU and WMU) could easily have been W’s. 

It’s been a disappointing season for sure, but 2-11 in MAC games could easily be 5-8 with better shooting and a little luck @ EMU, vs WMU and @ NIU.  Signs of progress lately are good to see. 

Edited by Bluebird96
  • Like 1

I shared this on Twitter earlier. This team keeps fighting. They could've hung their heads a long time ago but they continue to battle and have shown signs of improvement. It's not going to lead to an appearance in Cleveland but it least gives me hope that players enjoy playing under Halcovage III.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 5

Z was impressive.  Good for him

Sy is a stud, plain and simple.

Outside of the first 10 min of the game, this was a very entertaining game. A win is a win, no matter who it's against.  They're especially nice at this time when they've been few and far between.  

Some flashes of good passing, which I hadn't seen much of. Still sloppy at times, but as I said at the early part of the season...there is talent there. This isn't a 3 win team.  Certainly not a top tier team by any stretch of the imagination,  but this roster is plenty good enough to have a 10 win season. They surely won't,  but they should've been. 

• Like 2

Felt that 5-10 point win coming. Fun game and loudest the crowd has been all year after long of Sy's dunks. EMU really stinks though. 

We were the much better team. Sy is a freaky talent at this level. High amplitude dunks and blocks. It's a shame we won't see him with a better surrounding cast and more experienced coaching.

I'm more hopeful for next year than I've been at any point this season. The freshmen are growing up, Zaakir is a decent role player. The team as a whole looks more organized and comfortable. Give me a two man freshman class of SG/SF and a two man transfer class of PG/C. 

By far the best game I've seen the team play all year. I know it wasn't a very good Eastern Michigan team.

Finally, I see ball movement. Good quick ball movement to break the 2-3 zone and then get the ball inside. Now, I'd like to see them with more player movement and ball screens when being guarded 1-on-1.

I actually think I saw some scripted plays there today. Usually, it just looks like a bunch of players passing the ball around without a plan.

Sure would be nice if we had a reliable guard shooting 3-point shots. Sabol is either hot or cold. 4-20 from three the past 4 games. Excluding the Bowling Green game, the last 11 games he's 11-53 from 3-points.

Nice that we had an inside game. Very impressed with Williamson. 

Great game by Sy. 13 rebounds, 4 steals, 4 blocks and 23 points.

Short bench worries me if they get in foul trouble. Hasn't been an issue the past couple games. They only have 11 players on the roster. Did they not fill several scholarships?

What is the status of Jones, Boldin, and Graham?

Edited by bullsbball

Bulls win? Bulls win! Wow that was fun.  You couldn't help but be afraid it would come unglued down the stretch, as Eastern kept scoring, but UB kept answering in kind.  It was a close game until UB went on an 11-0 run (how few times we've said that all season!) second half, a lead that they ran with the rest of the way.  Eastern was playing their zone and it seemed like UB was ready for it.  As others have pointed out, the 3-point shooting was bad again but it was made up for by excellent work inside.  I didn't know they had it in them.  Even so there were so many layups they missed.  Some good passes and movement off the ball to the net.  Made their foul shots at the end.  The only disappointing part was we didn't get to finally sing "I believe that we have won!" at the end.

Chatman - tough at both ends of the floor (some good blocks that reminded me of Kelvin Robinson back in the day), made his shots at the end
Adams - the three's weren't going but he knows when to stop at hit a 2-point jumper.
Fulcher - continues to make progress.  He's not such a defensive liability anymore, and his quickness to the hoop is starting to cause opponents a problem
Zakir - that's what we want to see!  I don't know what's kicked in lately, but he's more purposeful under the net, he's developed a nice touch there, he's not taller than these guys but he finds his way.
Wilson - really good minutes off the bench, hits his foul shots, really good progress there.  

Eastern - 66 shot attempts, and Acuff took 31 of them.  He had 26 points - well if you take 31 shots you better.  At times first half they matched UB for some bad shots.

Crowd - pretty decent for a Tuesday night, for a bad team, on a lost season.  The student end zone was pretty full until we realized half of it were fall athletes who had to be there. Props to the band, they sound great (was that "Low Rider" by War?), and they lead the cheers when True Blue is nonexistent and the rest of the end zone are glued to their seats. At least they're there, but they don't seem to know what to do.

Props to Halcovage and company, this is another game that it seemed like they had a plan for how to deal with the opponent and the guys were up for it.  It wasn't a tough opponent but who cares right now.  It's a very encouraging sign that the young guys are starting to show improvement - Sabol (who's been up and down all year, as to be expected), Fulcher, Wilson, Zakir. I wish we could see Boldin and Graham get more time, but they're hurt.  IF they stay, and this is a core of a new team that's gotten a lot of playing time already, AND they pile on another recruiting class (another inside player or two and a deadly three-point shooter please)....maybe we're making progress here finally.  Coaches and players alike.

I had fun tonight and I hope you did too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bullsbball said:

What is the status of Jones, Boldin, and Graham?

Boldin and Graham are out with an injury.  Last mention I heard of Jones about one and half months ago, was he was dealing with personal issues and that the team was supportive.  I think it is a strong possibility he is no longer with the team, but I don't know.

16 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Boldin and Graham are out with an injury.  Last mention I heard of Jones about one and half months ago, was he was dealing with personal issues and that the team was supportive.  I think it is a strong possibility he is no longer with the team, but I don't know.

On the post game broadcast Whetzel mentioned Boldin would likely be back this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

The student end zone was pretty full until we realized half of it were fall athletes who had to be there

Yes a lot of them were student athletes that left, but the rest of the students were there because they were giving away Drake tickets, and they all promptly left as soon as the winners were announced

1 hour ago, Blue03 said:

Yes a lot of them were student athletes that left, but the rest of the students were there because they were giving away Drake tickets, and they all promptly left as soon as the winners were announced

They are the WIN-NARS! Let’s go let’s go

• Haha 1

Happy the team won….. it’s all relative. The MAC is HISTORICALLY bad this year and we are at the bottom of the heap. Beating the next best team in the conference isn’t something I’m pounding my chest on. That’s just me though. Give me a home victory vs Toledo on 3/2 and I’d be ecstatic.