Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs Canisius (12/18 @ 7:00 pm)

Jeseph

• Jeseph pinned this topic
1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

TV: ESPN+
Radio: TuneIn
Live Stats: UBBulls.com

I know that OOC "doesn't matter" or whatever because we're not getting at at-large but I'm going to call this a must win. Reggie and co. are going to come in motivated, we can not drop another rough game at home.

I agree a must win.  They need to keep turnovers down; play hard defense and work the boards. They need to demonstrate that they have what it takes to be competitive to win the MAC.   If they are faced with a challenge in this game, I will look for what you have called for, someone to step up and lead.  I also feel that coach Whitesell, needs to be a motivator in addition to a 'teacher'.

2 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I will look for what you have called for, someone to step up and lead.  I also feel that coach Whitesell, needs to be a motivator in addition to a 'teacher'.

I was talking to @Kevin about the overall team dynamic - it's far too early to say this squad is selfish but what seems to be missing is a drive to "win for each other", a killer instinct to do whatever is needed late because losing hurts. N.O. squads had this. Losing sucked and there was no other way to look at it. Does this team feel the same?

5 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I was talking to @Kevin about the overall team dynamic - it's far too early to say this squad is selfish but what seems to be missing is a drive to "win for each other", a killer instinct to do whatever is needed late because losing hurts. N.O. squads had this. Losing sucked and there was no other way to look at it. Does this team feel the same?

After a bad loss to Army, I saw three players post their individual stats. I don't generally mind that, but not after the worse team loss in a while. 

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kevin said:

After a bad loss to Army, I saw three players post their individual stats. I don't generally mind that, but not after the worse team loss in a while. 

To be frank, after a game like the Army game, the team should be extremely motivated, angry even, that they play so hard that a win over Canisius is never in doubt.  I don't know if that is in the make up of this current team, we shall see.   This is the second loss this season, I put blame on Whitesell.  I am not making a judgment as to whether he is a good coach, but he needs to do more to motivate his team when they are faced with adversity.

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

I agree with you. The crazy thing is that outside of a few players, everyone on this team was here last year. They should know the culture. Yet certain guys were playing with this me first attitude. It needs to change ASAP. Sharing the ball and communicating on defense need to improve. And certain guys need to stop chucking up shots for stats. They aren’t James Harden and don’t or won’t have any pro ball future playing this way. 

• Like 1

You can succeed to a certain extent as a team with selfish players, see 2014-15 with Evans. He and Moss would argue before games who between them would score the most points. But if you truly want to reach your fullest potential as a team, it must be with a team like last year where everyone is in it for each other, from defense, offense and transition with everyone making the extra pass and taking charges and never giving anything less than 100% effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

You can succeed to a certain extent as a team with selfish players, see 2014-15 with Evans. He and Moss would argue before games who between them would score the most points. But if you truly want to reach your fullest potential as a team, it must be with a team like last year where everyone is in it for each other, from defense, offense and transition with everyone making the extra pass and taking charges and never giving anything less than 100% effort.

Do agree. The players and coaches from the last few years were in the right place and at the right time and as saying goes it was the perfect storm. Just the right combination of players of Caruthers, CJ, Perkins and Harris along with others. Hope to see improvement in the upcoming games. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UBCourtside said:

Did my preview for the website last night. Mballa has a nice matchup against a lanky 6’10’’ freshman who isn’t very fleet of foot. Good bounce back spot for Graves as well with his matchup. Jordan vs Malik Johnson should be fun!

Or as the Manhattan fans chanted at him a few years ago, Little Johnson.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Doing his best  to follow in footsteps of Willis Reed.  For you younger fans who are saying Willis who?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/league/top-nba-finals-moments-hobbled-willis-reed-inspires-game-7-1970-finals

This is insulting as I not only know who Willis Reed, but remember where I was when he walked onto the court, listening on radio as hte game was on tape delay in New York because of blackout rules.

7 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

This is insulting as I not only know who Willis Reed, but remember where I was when he walked onto the court, listening on radio as hte game was on tape delay in New York because of blackout rules.

My apologies, I did not mean any disrespect or to insult you.  I was not old enough to recall details as this happened, but I  am old enough to know the story, and saw replays of it many times.  My earliest memory as a Knick fan would be 1973.

12 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

My apologies, I did not mean any disrespect or to insult you.  I was not old enough to recall details as this happened, but I  am old enough to know the story, and saw replays of it many times.  My earliest memory as a Knick fan would be 1973.

and 47 more years of disappointment.

4 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

and 47 more years of disappointment.

I have much less experience as a Knicks fan, only been following for the last 20 or so years when I got into the NBA. But having UB basketball has been amazing for the past decade, I finally have a consistently competitive basketball team to follow. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I have much less experience as a Knicks fan, only been following for the last 20 or so years when I got into the NBA. But having UB basketball has been amazing for the past decade, I finally have a consistently competitive basketball team to follow. 

Knicks fan here too.  Other than following how RJ/Frank/Robinson are doing, they are unwatchable most of the time unfortunately.  UB has been basically the only basketball I watch these days.  Horns up.