Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach Out - Mo Linguist

Bill

11 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

How was Whitesell the "2nd best assistant"? Wasn't he 2nd in command while Nate was here?

I believe he is referring to Jamie Quarles, who many believe should be the head coach. Perhaps they are right, but I don't know enough about him to say that. He seems to have a good rapport with the team and I think the staff overall, along with Angres Thorpe are very solid. When I was a student at UB in the early 90's a lot of people thought Frank Reich was the best QB on the Bills too. Assistant coaches and Backup QBs are some of the best positions to be in for your self esteem 😄

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

I believe he is referring to Jamie Quarles, who many believe should be the head coach. Perhaps they are right, but I don't know enough about him to say that. He seems to have a good rapport with the team and I think the staff overall, along with Angres Thorpe are very solid. When I was a student at UB in the early 90's a lot of people thought Frank Reich was the best QB on the Bills too. Assistant coaches and Backup QBs are some of the best positions to be in for your self esteem 😄

I think JQ is fantastic but I don't know that he would've been considered over JW, same for BH. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

Know we’re about 48 hrs in. Any word on assistants?

The 4 from before are still shown along with Coach Mo. Rob Ianello is now listed as WIDE RECIEVERS/RECRUITING COORDINATOR. Might not be bad to keep him if we can.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I think JQ is fantastic but I don't know that he would've been considered over JW, same for BH. 

Clearly not. It was a reference to Hodgson. Hard to know who was the better coach, but Hodgson clearly was responsible for bringing more recruits to UB. 

16 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Clearly not. It was a reference to Hodgson. Hard to know who was the better coach, but Hodgson clearly was responsible for bringing more recruits to UB. 

Yes, I figured as much. Giving the head job to someone whose only d1 experience was a couple of years as the recruiter (yes, a very good one) would be unlikely.

28 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Yes, I figured as much. Giving the head job to someone whose only d1 experience was a couple of years as the recruiter (yes, a very good one) would be unlikely.

Woulda been a leap of faith. Indeed one most ADs would not take. But the best ones know when and when not to go against the grain. In this case we’ll never know. I played for a coach who was a great recruiter, but not a great coach. We did great winning our conference championship four years in a row, but likely not quite as well as we should have. If you have the horses easier to do well than without especially in hoops. Regardless looking forward to UB football and hoops later this year. Go Bulls!

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

The 4 from before are still shown along with Coach Mo. Rob Ianello is now listed as WIDE RECIEVERS/RECRUITING COORDINATOR. Might not be bad to keep him if we can.

Totally agree. However, his salary is likely a fair bit higher than UB can offer. 

8 hours ago, UB85 said:

Totally agree. However, his salary is likely a fair bit higher than UB can offer. 

We may hear some things today regarding the staff since the official introduction is today at 11. I feel like the D will be in good hands, but we need someone on the O side that has a vision. After all 0-0 games are still a tie not a win.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I’m that case Hodgson should be getting a lot of phone calls next year if Alabama continues their success if ADs think he brings more than recruiting. Nate’s star shines bright so some may perceive him as everything and the assistants as bit players. As for our team, I am more than happy with the recruits we assembled this year.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, UB85 said:

I seem to recall the way BH not conducting himself in the most sincere or professional way. He was already sporting 'Bama wear while essentially blackmailing ADMA.

Anyway, that's spilled milk under the bridge. Here's the link to the press conference with Coach Mo at 11 am Monday:

Edited by promotherobot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Would have been better to say "exploit their weaknesses" instead of "hiding out weaknesses."

I had a chance to talk with Jimmy Conners once when he was in Toronto for the Players Tennis Challenge (which we had sponsored).  I asked what he thought was a key to his success (charm aside)?  He said, "I play to my strength, not my opponent's weakness".

So maybe you can't/don't need to hide your weakness...but you better be prepared for what your opponent is good at.

I have a feeling this is going to be good for our overall brand as long as the winning keeps up with our recent standard. We're the main story in college football right now and it's all got a positive sheen to it. Coach Mo should be able to parlay this MoMentum (😪) into recruiting success and program notoriety.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, promotherobot said:

I seem to recall the way BH not conducting himself in the most sincere or professional way. He was already sporting 'Bama wear while essentially blackmailing ADMA.

Anyway, that's spilled milk under the bridge. Here's the link to the press conference with Coach Mo at 11 am Monday:

Thanks for posting this. I gonna listen later when I have 10 minutes or so.

18 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I have a feeling this is going to be good for our overall brand as long as the winning keeps up with our recent standard. We're the main story in college football right now and it's all got a positive sheen to it. Coach Mo should be able to parlay this MoMentum (😪) into recruiting success and program notoriety.

Seems we are getting more press that Kansas did with Leipold. I like that!