Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coach Bryan Hodgson

Chet

Coach Hodgson was a big time loss for the Bulls. I don’t think he was ready to take over when Oats left like some on this board have suggested, but it appears that he will be ready for a HC job soon enough. I certainly believe that Whitesell and company are primed for a big year, but I would be excited to have Coach Hodgson back in blue.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Was it me, but did ESPN interview Bauman at halftime and then proceed to say he was an assistant to Oats, confusing him with Hodgson.  A couple of gaffes yesterday by announcers, but still fun to watch.

Both Hodgson and Bauman are on Bama’s staff. Bauman being the director of scouting and analytics. For the TBT Bauman is the HC I believe. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Both Hodgson and Bauman are on Bama’s staff. Bauman being the director of scouting and analytics. For the TBT Bauman is the HC I believe. 

Oh my bad...I misinterpreted his college listing as Southern Illinois to mean he is coach there.  Thanks for correcting me and apologies for attributing a gaffe to announcers.

35 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Oh my bad...I misinterpreted his college listing as Southern Illinois to mean he is coach there.  Thanks for correcting me and apologies for attributing a gaffe to announcers.

Think that’s where he may have gone to school. But yea the announcers were all over the place. I mean we were called the Buffaloes at one point.

17 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Think that’s where he may have gone to school. But yea the announcers were all over the place. I mean we were called the Buffaloes at one point.

Yes it is where he went to school.

The Buffaloes was most glaring.  But not fair of me to cast unwarranted criticism.  All in all didn't detract from the fun.

26 minutes ago, Chet said:

How many of you would trade Hodgson for Whitesell right now? I’ll go first. ABSOLUTELY!!

I’m fine with having Hodgson as the next head coach after Whitesell. I can see Hodgson taking over in 3-4 years and staying long term. He would kill it in recruiting.

30 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Hodgson burned a bridge.  I don't see it happening if ADMA is still in town.

He handled the situation poorly for sure, he's a young coach and sometimes they haven't figured it all out. I know he's a fantastic recruiter and seems to really be able to build connections, but I have no idea of his coaching abilities in practice or in-game, he may be great, may be awful. He's not even coaching this particular team, which is significantly different that a D1 college team. I relate it to football, some guys are just really good coordinators, but are terrible head coaches, nothing wrong with that, just a fact. I'm in construction and we have business development guys that are great at getting work and building relationships, but I would never want them on a jobsite. There are many different skill sets and they don't always translate to being a top notch head coach.

Should Coach Hodgson get a shot at some point? Absolutely. Is Nate Oats the exception or the rule for how you should select a head coach, an exception for sure. The thing Oats had going for him is that he coached a high level high school team (probably on par with D3 teams), so he had that and had won championships. That's a very good starting point. Recruiting is an important element, but coaching that talent and getting them to gel is another thing.

Personally, I'm not ready to turn the UB reigns over to him today. I assume others would disagree.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

That's a no from me, dog. Why isn't Hodgson coaching Blue Collar U?

I assume it would look poorly on Alabama

Your lead recruiter coaching a different school

Hodgson will definitely become a head coach, most likely pretty soon.

The way he handled oats leaving and going for the head job here showed he wasn't ready to be a head coach. I hope he learned from it because who knows he might end up back here one day

I also hope mark alnutt holds no hard feelings towards him. Hodgson handled the situation like a young inexperienced guy, as long as he learned from it I have no issue  

52 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

That's a no from me, dog. Why isn't Hodgson coaching Blue Collar U?

Hodgson isn’t coaching Blue Collar U because he had other Alabama obligations that he needed to figure out and he didn’t know if he would be able to attend their first game in Columbus. That’s why he handed off coaching duties. Hodgson was originally listed as their head coach and is leading the way in practice. He was also responsible in recruiting everyone to join Blue Collar U.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

Also, there’s more to the story about how everything went down with Hodgson when Oats bolted for Alabama. He wanted the UB job but was basically told he wasn’t being considered so he did what the majority of assistants do, followed Oats to Bama. He shouldn’t of made it known that he was already contributing to Bama when he was still technically on the UB staff but everyone involved in the situation knew what was happening. This board knows my preference was for UB to hire Hodgson. Whitesell is alright but I believe UB would be just as good as they are now with Hodgson as head coach. Everyone questioning how Hodgson would do during in-game situations forgets how weak UB has been in crucial moments in late game situations the past few years so I don’t think there’s definitive proof that Whitesell is necessarily better in those situations. We don’t know how it would be with Hodgson because we’ve never had the opportunity to watch how he would handle it.

• Like 1

Disagree with the above. To those closest to the program, BH was not ready from a maturity standpoint to be a HC. Excellent recruiter but hadn’t even run a practice before in his life. College basketball is littered with failed coaches who could recruit but nothing more. He wasn’t the right person to lead the team at the time. Hopefully Oats grooms him more at Bama, but the notion we’d be competing for championships, like we are now, if BH was the coach makes me chuckle. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Disagree with the above. To those closest to the program, BH was not ready from a maturity standpoint to be a HC. Excellent recruiter but hadn’t even run a practice before in his life. College basketball is littered with failed coaches who could recruit but nothing more. He wasn’t the right person to lead the team at the time. Hopefully Oats grooms him more at Bama, but the notion we’d be competing for championships, like we are now, if BH was the coach makes me chuckle. 

You have the right to that opinion but I also have many connections to the program as well and know multiple people that have admitted multiple times to me that the coaching search was botched from the beginning. Maybe Hodgson wasn’t ready for the job at that moment but I can promise you they didn’t enter their coaching search thinking Jim Whitesell would be their guy.

All of that said, I’m fine with Jim Whitesell leading the way and excited about the future of the program.

2 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Hodgson burned a bridge.  I don't see it happening if ADMA is still in town.

How so? I suspect this is speculation. I do agree Alnut wouldn’t hire him. But that won’t be an obstacle because he’ll leave first chance he gets IMO. 

Edited by UB85

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

The way he handled oats leaving and going for the head job here showed he wasn't ready to be a head coach. I hope he learned from it because who knows he might end up back here one day

I also hope mark alnutt holds no hard feelings towards him. Hodgson handled the situation like a young inexperienced guy, as long as he learned from it I have no issue  

Another opinion not based on fact. Appearances may have suggested such, but There is always more to the story. 

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

He handled the situation poorly for sure, he's a young coach and sometimes they haven't figured it all out. I know he's a fantastic recruiter and seems to really be able to build connections, but I have no idea of his coaching abilities in practice or in-game, he may be great, may be awful. He's not even coaching this particular team, which is significantly different that a D1 college team. I relate it to football, some guys are just really good coordinators, but are terrible head coaches, nothing wrong with that, just a fact. I'm in construction and we have business development guys that are great at getting work and building relationships, but I would never want them on a jobsite. There are many different skill sets and they don't always translate to being a top notch head coach.

Should Coach Hodgson get a shot at some point? Absolutely. Is Nate Oats the exception or the rule for how you should select a head coach, an exception for sure. The thing Oats had going for him is that he coached a high level high school team (probably on par with D3 teams), so he had that and had won championships. That's a very good starting point. Recruiting is an important element, but coaching that talent and getting them to gel is another thing.

Personally, I'm not ready to turn the UB reigns over to him today. I assume others would disagree.

Anyone who knew anything about the Hurley years knew Oats was the only and clear cut no brainer choice. That was based on his proven ability and acumen demonstrated before Hurley left. 

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

The people at Alabama know that if it wasn’t for they guys on BCU that Oats et al would not be there and understand the deep connection they still have to these amazing hoopers and players. They get it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UB85 said:

The people at Alabama know that if it wasn’t for they guys on BCU that Oats et al would not be there and understand the deep connection they still have to these amazing hoopers and players. They get it. 

Should clarify the bad look to fans of Alabama and maybe donors. I would hope the administration side is fine/encourage and like the connection. The connection should be grown in my opinion and both schools should enjoy it 

I am going to have a hard time forgiving Hodgson for actively promoting Alabama to recruits while still employed by UB, but this TBT thing feels a bit like he's trying to mend that broken fence. I wouldn't be surprised if he was homesick after spending 2 years in a pandemic in Tuscaloosa...

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 11:34 AM, DaBulls99 said:

His contract would have to include mandatory ethics training.