Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#14 UB @ Unranked Syracuse - (12/18 - 8:00pm ET)

Jeseph

• Jeseph pinned this topic

Bulls just need to play their game. Same way they've been playing this season. Fast and uptempo. Don't commit turnovers, take the open shot. Play unselfish basketball and continue to play great defense.

The Orange are struggling bad on offense and I think we match up well with them. UB just has to adjust to the zone defense and they should be able to take this game. 

7 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Bulls just need to play their game. Same way they've been playing this season. Fast and uptempo. Don't commit turnovers, take the open shot. Play unselfish basketball and continue to play great defense.

The Orange are struggling bad on offense and I think we match up well with them. UB just has to adjust to the zone defense and they should be able to take this game. 

I really, really want this game. 

But even a struggling Syracuse is dangerous - “just” play fast tempo and fast, and “just” adjust to their zone has been a big ask for many, many very good teams over the last 20+ yrs they’ve been playing 2-3...

I am wondering what the line will be tomorrow.  I expect (yep) that UB will be a road favorite...maybe 1 1/2 points or somewhere in there.   Fans think one thing, but those guys know how to set lines.

So...I expect this is the game that UB players, fans and coaches have waited for since they left the court last year around this time.   We had the lead with 3:16 to go (68 - 67), but failed to score until 33 seconds left.

Since that time, UB figured out they were really good during conference play and, despite a hiccup here and there (looking at you KSU on the road), they won the MAC, survived Toledo, exposed Arizona and played Kentucky tough.   And haven't lost since.   They are a team with a lot of confidence that won't get rattled on the road, has been through the wars already and has plenty of options on the floor (and on the bench) should someone have an off day.  And they are committed to the defensive end and value possession.

I expect this is another coming out party for UB basketball as the rest of NYS figures out what we already know:  UB's ranking is deserved and they are the top basketball team in NYS this year.

Go Bulls.

Cuse is averaging right around 70ppg, a bit more I believe like 71 or 71.5. This seems like a game that will be played in the high 60's/low 70's, much like the SIU game Saturday. I like the matchup of Jordan and Carruthers defending the Cuse ball dominant guards. The game will likely come down to if UB shoots well from the outside. If we shoot a high percentage, or even an average percentage, from three, I like our chances. Battle and Brissett will get their 15-18 points but UB's depth should be enough to keep everyone else for Cuse under wraps.

I don't want to see our players go into this cocky or arrogant but I do want them to be confident. I think they should take the floor knowing that, right now, UB is the better team - and we should play that way.

This game creates anxiety for us as fans but I don't think the team needs to get over-hyped for this one. Understand the circumstances, play UB basketball and get a hard-fought W.

17 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I don't want to see our players go into this cocky or arrogant but I do want them to be confident. I think they should take the floor knowing that, right now, UB is the better team - and we should play that way.

I think it's safe to say at this point, that's not how the team is. I think they know they have to work for the next 2 games. Which is why I'm confident they will find a way to win tomorrow. 

My keys to the game:

1. Bigs must play big!

2. Rebound! Rebound! Rebound! Rebounding must be a team commitment and effort. No players (Harris) can afford to be flat footed on the defensive board and must block out and attack the boards.

3. Need an all around great game from CJ which he consistently provides.

4. DEFENSE, have to be in Cuse's shorts all night long especially the guards.

5. Beat them in transition for some easy baskets and don't let them get any.

6. Need a better team shooting effort which with sharp ball movement side to side, in and out as well as dribble drives should provide.

Edited by UB85

58 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I am wondering what the line will be tomorrow.  I expect (yep) that UB will be a road favorite...maybe 1 1/2 points or somewhere in there.   Fans think one thing, but those guys know how to set lines.

Go Bulls.

The line reflects what the betting public will do. I would not be surprised to be a dog in this game because most will expect a Cuse win.

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/line-movement/suny-buffalo-@-syracuse.cfm/date/12-18-18/time/2000#BT

According to this we are 3 point dogs. Ruff ruff.  We will see if this changes come tomorrow night.

3 point underdogs

I will take that. If I am Oats I am letting the players know that. This will be a tough game. Hoping to see a lot of Blue out in the stands.

I am nervous about the zone. (If you follow me, I am always nervous with us playing the zone this season). We become stagnant and hesitate. SIU switched to a zone 10 minutes in the first half and we looked flat. For some reason, I feel like Caruthers will have a big game for this one.

All that said, I think we are coming out 10 point victors in this one 82-72

Like others have said, to me this is absolutely the biggest game. 

Syracuse has always been the basketball power in NYS, and I grew up in a big Orange fan family. Again most all of us are UB fans as well, and everyone knows this win would be historic for UB and far bigger for the Bulls.

It would be the true defining win in an already magical start to the season. I want this more than any other win this year. If they beat the Orange, I don't even care what else happens. To be ranked, and to beat Syracuse (as well as St Bona, and hopefully the Griffs... I consider NU as a win because they were too big of wusses to schedule us) on the road... its just something that can never be taken away from the history of this program.

I do not expect this to be an easy game at all especially after they just lost to ODU... but of any year, this is the year to beat them.

Also in an honestly less important way, beating SYR probably means you can absorb a Marquette loss and still be ranked heading into Can/MAC play IMO

10 hours ago, Jeseph said:

This game creates anxiety for us as fans but I don't think the team needs to get over-hyped for this one. Understand the circumstances, play UB basketball and get a hard-fought W.

Been having anxiety about this since we beat SIU Saturday. Can confirm. It just means so much to us.

Truly believe we are the better team but in the dome and after that OD loss you know cuse is going to be amped up

Glad we are underdogs. Extra motivation and more of a reason to not get cocky with our ranking 

LINK: Big 4 Basketball Update: Buffalo vs. Syracuse Preview

In my special edition of the Big 4 Basketball Update, I preview No. 14 Buffalo's matchup with Syracuse. I breakdown the keys to the game, their recent series history and talk with Johnathan Snyder regarding what it'll take for UB to pull off the win.

Prediction: Buffalo 81-77

17 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/line-movement/suny-buffalo-@-syracuse.cfm/date/12-18-18/time/2000#BT

According to this we are 3 point dogs. Ruff ruff.  We will see if this changes come tomorrow night.

I believe UB has beat the line every game this year except perhaps their most recent one.