Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

18 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Curious as to why? The more success he has, the more our brand benefits. Plus I like the guy and find his philosophy to be sharp and his personality/story engaging/inspiring.

Oats will be able to find another hustler bagman.  Hodgson will likely not find another analytics whiz master motivator. 

Didn’t like the way the season played out off the court, didn’t want poor decisions rewarded on the court. Earlier in the season I probably would have been behind them. It was also nice to see a team that played together a few years actually win and not just a group of 5 stars. I lost a significant amount of respect for Oats, he really handled a lot of things very poorly. He’s been gone 4 years, he did well for us when he was here, but it’s time to move on. Alabama or Arizona St winning does nothing for UB Basketball, unless you count the announcers saying “former Buffalo basketball coach”

51 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

To each their own, but I can't stand it. I'd like to see more emphasis on skill. There's hands on every driver, pushes on most rebounds. A recommitment to freedom of movement needs to be addressed by the rules committee. Can't wait for the covid old guys to disappear. 

This Princeton/Creighton game is the perfect blend of tempo, shot making and physicality. Well played 1st half. 

15 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Didn’t like the way the season played out off the court, didn’t want poor decisions rewarded on the court. Earlier in the season I probably would have been behind them. It was also nice to see a team that played together a few years actually win and not just a group of 5 stars. I lost a significant amount of respect for Oats, he really handled a lot of things very poorly. He’s been gone 4 years, he did well for us when he was here, but it’s time to move on. Alabama or Arizona St winning does nothing for UB Basketball, unless you count the announcers saying “former Buffalo basketball coach”

Unfortunately, one of the best coaches in college basketball getting his start with us is the best thing we have going for our brand at the moment. 

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

Unfortunately, one of the best coaches in college basketball getting his start with us is the best thing we have going for our brand at the moment. 

That’s why I’m looking for the new guy so we can have a future and not dwell on the past. 

2 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

It's a great game, but I'm seeing near zero physicality. No 6'6 grabber/grinders on either team. 

Physicality doesn’t have to be grabbers and grinders. No one wants Wisconsin basketball. What I mean by physicality is, for example, about 3 minutes ago Kaulkbrenner dribbled baseline and got walled up and ended up out of bounds. That was good physical defending without fouling. There’s multiple ways to be physical. For example, boxing out. Cutting off driving lanes 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

That’s why I’m looking for the new guy so we can have a future and not dwell on the past. 

Not a mutually exclusive situation. And we better be marketing the hell out of the fact that we can be a springboard to coaching stardom to said new guy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

If UB Bulls don’t learn from the past they keep repeating mistakes. The number one thing every UB alum/fan should say if the UB Bulls aren’t in the NCAA’s with a new coach in the lowly MAC in year two at the latest we made a mistake with hiring the coach time to move on. Not double down, spin be in complete denial this isn’t happening and wait two years longer than one should have in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like the suggestion here by Goodman is that Oats' has extremely good assistant coaches (which may be true), but it seems apparent they are just trying to wipe their hands clean of the murder. 3 assistants take jobs at middling mid-major programs, one player involved in jail, one player involved to the NBA, the third player involved hitting the transfer portal despite likely being the star player next year.

37 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I feel like the suggestion here by Goodman is that Oats' has extremely good assistant coaches (which may be true), but it seems apparent they are just trying to wipe their hands clean of the murder. 3 assistants take jobs at middling mid-major programs, one player involved in jail, one player involved to the NBA, the third player involved hitting the transfer portal despite likely being the star player next year.

Oats keeps his job, tells the assistants to take whatever is out there, hopefully a step up, the "3rd player on the grassy knoll" is in the portal and Miller will go to the NBA. Nothing to see here, Alabama moves on and the fanbase can continue to feel good about themselves. 

39 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

And they're reportedly hiring Pettway. 3 assistants up, 3 assitants down for Oats. Going to be quite a rebuild down there in Alabama...

This will determine what kind of coach Oats really is and how much dirt got on him. I guess we will see if any of these departures affects the current players and recruits.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

This will determine what kind of coach Oats really is and how much dirt got on him. I guess we will see if any of these departures affects the current players and recruits.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to be on the staff there. He'll have little problem finding quality replacements. It's a pretty big deal to lose all 3 though, especially considering 2 of them were "his guys" before arriving at Bama and the 3rd being a long time Bama guy. With rosters like he's had and surely the amount they'll pay for coaches, he'll be alright I'd wager.

• Like 2

It's absolutely remarkable that none of the Bama coaches ended up at University at Buffalo. I would imagine Adam Bauman gets a promotion after the dust settles. Will be very interesting to see how Coach Oats and the new head coaches do without each other. I'll be rooting for the Bulls, but will continue to root for the Oats coaching tree.

42 minutes ago, Chet said:

It's absolutely remarkable that none of the Bama coaches ended up at University at Buffalo. I would imagine Adam Bauman gets a promotion after the dust settles. Will be very interesting to see how Coach Oats and the new head coaches do without each other. I'll be rooting for the Bulls, but will continue to root for the Oats coaching tree.

For what Adam did with TBT I'm shocked he didn't land as a head coach or top Assistant somewhere 

4 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Guy wanted out of Nichols bad

With how many jobs he interviewed for he probably needed to leave, I can't imagine recruits being interested in committing to a guy who wants out himself 

Honestly it might be the highest paying job he interviewed for lol

• 3 weeks later...