Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

One hour seven minutes until Tip off 1.24.23

Tee4three

The best part of this is when BSU pulled within 9, the guys kept their heads and rebuilt the lead. It took the wind out of their sails. Also credit the refs for keeping consistent throughout the game and not changing the rules for the 2nd. Fantastic win. Get that monkey off road wins off their back, that should build for the future. Go Bulls!!🤘🏻🤘🏻

• Like 7

26-point drubbing of a solid Ball State squad as 5-point road dogs. Some of our buddies must be watching the Sabres game tonight. I went double screen - but alas, they're dominating too.

Curtis is a great shooter and I'm glad he has the green light even when he misses a couple. Armoni trending up. Adams finding his stroke while still forcing things a bit, but that might just be him. Zid kind of the same, but I'm happy to let him stir the drink as I think there's more positive than negative. Jack struggled against Sparks, not surprising. Kidtrell has to figure out his offensive skill moves, that pivot thing isn't working.

The staff deserves a lot of credit for conjuring up this roster from a near empty cupboard. Curtis was a strong rising soph, but otherwise it was an entire roster of question marks and empty chairs. Whether any of us likes it or not, modern college basketball requires agile roster building and for a coach derided by many as having lost it (or never having it in the first place), JW and the guys pulled in some real players. Certainly not a perfect team, but they play fast and hard and I'm very happy to be able to root for this group. Games like this give me confidence we will be a very tough out in Cleveland.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

They now have wins over Ball State and Ohio which is encouraging heading into Kent State later this week.

I don't know if Kent State playing poorly against NIU tonight is encouraging for us or not, but it is a thing.

6 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Who wins the BG, CMU, UB tiebreaker?  Head scratcher 

UB is currently tied with Ball State and BG. I would think UB gets the tiebreak at 2-0 versus them. Long way to go in the season to worry about tiebreakers right now. Still over 50% of the league season to play. One game at a time. If they can split the next 2 (or better), it'd be pretty solid, considering it's the top 2 squads in the league at the moment. This team has shown they can play great and can stink it up. Hopefully it's the first part more often than the second moving forward, like tonight!

Work in progress!  It's a whole new team this year and "consistency" isn't something you can count on yet.  Some nights it's all going to click, and this was one of them.  You're not going to shoot 60% every night (and 50% from three) but it's hard to lose when you do, no matter who you're playing.  Leave the expectations behind and just see how this group grows as it goes.  I'm really impressed by how, when Ball State got closer, this team kept at it and didn't lose control.

As good as Toledo/Ball State/Kent are, and we assume they're the top three teams for sure, maybe there's a lot of parity on any given night in the MAC right now.

I don't get how some people can't manage to have fun watching this group, because they're obviously having a good time out there and have progressed a ton since early November.  It took years but Hardnett has put it together; Curtis always has a smile; Jack is getting tougher every game; Powell always looks like he's ready to run over 5 people in order to win.

Edited by enrique14150
  • Like 5

How about this stat for Armoni Foster, he is really starting to find his way. This was published by Josh Whetzel:

"Armoni is first Bull in at least ten years to be perfect from the floor with at least eight shot attempts. He’s first in country this season to go at least 8 for 8 from field while also dishing out at least seven assists."

• Like 2

Armoni Foster has been a really interesting case.  Here's a guy who was one of the best at the D2 level, but how does that translate where most of the players are bigger, faster, better?  It says something about his character that he was looking to take on a challenge like this as a grad senior - what am I capable of?  Can I raise my game?  What worked at the D2 level that he had to get better at to play at this one?  He's quick off the dribble to the net - not 'Wes Clark' quick (few if any at this level are), but he'll exploit a lane if it's there.  Tougher underneath the basket than he looks.  As this season has gone on, and maybe because he knows where people are and how they move with more games together, he sees and tries some interesting passes. (The win over Ohio, he assisted both UB baskets at the end)

There are some hungry players in this group.  You could write another thing like this about "what drives Zid?"  I don't get the vibe from watching them that there's anyone playing like they've already "made it".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

How about this stat for Armoni Foster, he is really starting to find his way. This was published by Josh Whetzel:

"Armoni is first Bull in at least ten years to be perfect from the floor with at least eight shot attempts. He’s first in country this season to go at least 8 for 8 from field while also dishing out at least seven assists."

Always curious how they get these stats. First he filtered to all players with at least 7 assists. Then he filtered those to all players who have hit 100% in a game. Then he sorted that by numbers of shots taken and Armoni is on top?

16 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

Always curious how they get these stats. First he filtered to all players with at least 7 assists. Then he filtered those to all players who have hit 100% in a game. Then he sorted that by numbers of shots taken and Armoni is on top?

Databases are a beautiful thing.

19 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

Presumably Sports Reference's Play Index. Super helpful for coming up with random stats. Here's the query that gets you that:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=2023&year_max=2023&game_type=A&is_range=N&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_c=Y&c1stat=ast&c1comp=gt&c1val=7&c2stat=fg_pct&c2comp=gt&c2val=100&c3stat=fga&c3comp=gt&c3val=8&c4comp=gt&order_by=fga

Only 8 guys have done it nationally going back to the '10-'11 season:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&game_type=A&is_range=N&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_c=Y&c1stat=ast&c1comp=gt&c1val=7&c2stat=fg_pct&c2comp=gt&c2val=100&c3stat=fga&c3comp=gt&c3val=8&c4comp=gt&order_by=fga

• Thanks 1