Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2023 Transfers

Another name that we'd be dumb to not eventually be connected to: Greg Dolan from Williamsville. He's a senior at Cornell and his sophomore year was wiped out by COVID. Still has a year of eligibility but Ivy League doesn't permit graduate students. He's currently averaging 13.5/3.6/3.6 and shooting 43% from 3

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 9:28 PM, trueblue32 said:

Another name that we'd be dumb to not eventually be connected to: Greg Dolan from Williamsville. He's a senior at Cornell and his sophomore year was wiped out by COVID. Still has a year of eligibility but Ivy League doesn't permit graduate students. He's currently averaging 13.5/3.6/3.6 and shooting 43% from 3

Would be exciting to see local players come back in front of friends/parents and fans to play one year and experience local basketball flavor. 

18 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Coach Linguist operating the portal at the moment. Seriously though, is the rest of the staff still employed and working just minus Jim?

I think the answer is yes, I'm just surprised to see any level of recruiting going on without knowing what direction the new coach will take the team. I suppose reaching out doesn't hurt though

On 3/17/2023 at 4:31 PM, trueblue32 said:

I think the answer is yes, I'm just surprised to see any level of recruiting going on without knowing what direction the new coach will take the team. I suppose reaching out doesn't hurt though

I saw Coach Q updated his profile to say former UB coach. I think Tom Fox is the highest ranking person still with a job. I could be wrong.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rma said:

I saw Coach Q updated his profile to say former UB coach. I think Tom Fox is the highest ranking person still with a job. I could be wrong.

Tom Fox may stick as part of the transition team, he has held a lot of positions at UB

41 minutes ago, rma said:

Tom Fox may stick as part of the transition team, he has held a lot of positions at UB. Whomever updates the website for the roster must have gotten let go, it hasn’t changed. 

• 3 weeks later...

6'7" and shot 46% from 3. Looks like pretty much a catch and shoot guy with only a 6.4% assist rate and 6.8% TO rate. Interesting one, he's from Mississauga, so that should help our case. 176th rated available transfer by evanmiya.com. FYI his rankings only project for next year and don't account for younger players having extra eligiblity.

UB transfer rankings for reference:
Powell: 76th
Jones: 107th
Jack: 238th
Williamson: 478th
Blocker: 618th

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

6'7" and shot 46% from 3. Looks like pretty much a catch and shoot guy with only a 6.4% assist rate and 6.8% TO rate. Interesting one, he's from Mississauga, so that should help our case. 176th rated available transfer by evanmiya.com. FYI his rankings only project for next year and don't account for younger players having extra eligiblity.

UB transfer rankings for reference:
Powell: 76th
Jones: 107th
Jack: 238th
Williamson: 478th
Blocker: 618th

A little surprised with Williamson above Blocker and Zid above Jones? But what do I know?

19 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

A little surprised with Williamson above Blocker and Zid above Jones? But what do I know?

Yeah so a few things on this. Evan's BPR is an all-in-one metric meant to represent how many points per 100 possessions a player is better than a replacement player. Any all-in-one metric has its flaws, but in my experience it seems to be the closest all-in-one I've found to what my eyes tell me. On the projections for next year, like I said above it doesn't account for Jones' extra eligibility, and it also bakes in some degree of recruiting pedigree which can help offset some of the effects of a bad fit (which may be why they're in the portal). FWIW Jones' was rated higher this season, I don't know exactly what gives Powell the edge in his projection next season, but I think most people on the forum agree he is a good talent and it's possible the fit just wasn't right here, maybe we'll see next year.
image.png.0f95203e974117a5b4994e48ed85effb.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Another prospect..Greg Gordon. Here are his stats

Screenshot_20230414-1128472.thumb.png.c546a864d0550bf3e34393963d9c764b.png

Third team all American

https://www.dscc.edu/content/dscc-greg-gordon-named-njcaa-third-team-all-american

3pt (only shot 31)  and ft shooting needs improvement, but very efficient fro 2 PT range.

If you liked Zid Powell, you're going to love Greg Gordon 😂.

Seriously though, those are the most bizarre shooting splits I've ever seen for a guard. Even more unusual than Davonta, who I had forgotten shot 41% FT (!) for his career.

38 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

If you liked Zid Powell, you're going to love Greg Gordon 😂.

Seriously though, those are the most bizarre shooting splits I've ever seen for a guard. Even more unusual than Davonta, who I had forgotten shot 41% FT (!) for his career.

a lot of dunks...could be fun to watch.

12 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Isn’t Jay Wrights offense a lot of ball screens? Players like Gordon could thrive in that, especially if they like to shoot the two pointers 

Yes, big on motion and creating mismatches or causing the defense to break down. I think Zid or Gordon could thrive in it as a controlled offense. Zid's main issue was he tried create for himself and caused himself trouble. As part a gear in the bigger mechanism that moves around, he could do very well. I think Curtis Jones would be in that same camp.

• Like 1