Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

18 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

One tweet I saw was that if hunter was hired to expect his son to follow, who is a PG at Ohio

Maybe helps explain Curtis Jones entering the portal yesterday? Or just a coincidence/me reading into it to far 

I don’t really think Jones is a PG though. His game translates to an off the ball guard. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

https://bearcatsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/ben-mccollum/1763

Visting today as well. The Leipold of D2 mens basketball.

I don't know intricacies of coaching D1 vs D2 - but this guy certainly knows how win.  Win pct at NW Mo St is .811, with 365 wins along with 4 D2 national championships.

"On the floor, the Bearcats run perhaps the most efficient offense in college basketball. It’s predicated on angles and screens and spacing to get open looks, but there are no discernable patterns. It is a nightmare to defend."

This would certainly be a a welcome, polar opposite change around here. 

https://www.ky3.com/2022/11/02/northwest-missouri-state-hoops-verge-becoming-dynasty/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

"On the floor, the Bearcats run perhaps the most efficient offense in college basketball. It’s predicated on angles and screens and spacing to get open looks, but there are no discernable patterns. It is a nightmare to defend."

This would certainly be a a welcome, polar opposite change around here. 

https://www.ky3.com/2022/11/02/northwest-missouri-state-hoops-verge-becoming-dynasty/

Another quote:

“I coach Division I basketball, and I promise you they (NW Missouri St) were a top-100 team in the country (last season),” Lipscomb head coach Lennie Acuff said. “How they play, what they do, it’s high-level basketball — their skill level, their feel, their player development, it’s really done in an admirable way.”

4 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Another quote:

“I coach Division I basketball, and I promise you they (NW Missouri St) were a top-100 team in the country (last season),” Lipscomb head coach Lennie Acuff said. “How they play, what they do, it’s high-level basketball — their skill level, their feel, their player development, it’s really done in an admirable way.”

I'm a Duke fan since childhood and they pushed us hard a few years ago at Cameron.

He seems like an offensive whiz. 

I may have been too quick to call him an offensive whiz. From that podcast, he sounds like a defensive coach first.

They play one of the slowest paces in D2. The logic being when they play the best teams (having national title aspirations every year), fast break points aren't as available and bailing out the D with wasted possessions is a great way to lose. He's all about efficient motion offense. He wants to play fast, but in the half-court. Also incorporates the Jay Wright-style drive-and-stop philosophy, which would be a dream after the recent seasons full of charges. 

One caveat is that he says these strategies are responses to roster constraints, practice time, and opponent quality/style. That's appealing because he's adaptable and smart enough to pull it off.

And re: the poor man's Oats Ball we played racing up and down the court. It makes a lot of sense that we were able to run on bad teams and find success, but got smoked when up against the better, more structured teams. 

Edited by MuchMany

10 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

McCollum looks like an excellent candidate, at least as good as anybody else who's name I've seen floated. He may be my #1 now.

To put him in perspective, America's hottest coach, Tobin Anderson, had a .771 win percentage in D2, never advancing past the elite 8 in 9 seasons at St. Thomas Aquinas.

McCollum has a .811 win percentage in D2, advancing past the Elite 8 four times (with 4 national championships) in 14 seasons at NW Missouri State

The only thing about McCollum is does he have a pipeline into D1 players? The only difference with say a dominant HS coach is that those players go on to major programs (Wes Clark). He also wouldn't be able to come with much of a transfer class either. D2 talent doesn't usually translate, even the top of that league. 

He would need to be linked up with a D1 recruiting pro. I'd be more worried about that than the Xs and Os which he clearly excels at, unlike Whitesell. 

That said I love the win percentage. I just need him to come up with a premier recruiting plan and coach. 

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The only thing about McCollum is does he have a pipeline into D1 players? The only difference with say a dominant HS coach is that those players go on to major programs (Wes Clark). He also wouldn't be able to come with much of a transfer class either. D2 talent doesn't usually translate, even the top of that league. 

He would need to be linked up with a D1 recruiting pro. I'd be more worried about that than the Xs and Os which he clearly excels at, unlike Whitesell. 

That said I love the win percentage. I just need him to come up with a premier recruiting plan and coach. 

That could result in him keeping Foley, a seemingly above average recruiter. 

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I imagine his team of well-coached, high-effort guys would have waxed UB this year anyways. He'll figure out how to find some dogs for this level too.

And as we all know, there are plenty of bag men out there ready to take an assistant's chair on a staff. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

This guy McCollum seems like a diamond. He must have some recruiting sense, else how do you get guys to play for D2 NW Missouri St?

All his current players are from the Midwest. 5 from Missouri, 2 each from Nebraska, Kansas, and Illinois and 1 from Iowa. Not picked up anybody recently on the D2 Transfer portal and lost a couple to the portal over the past few years.

Edited by bullsbball