Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

21 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Didn't somebody share a snippet that he played a slower, defensive-minded pace because that's what was possible with DII athleticism?

I agree that winning is all that matters to me regarding style of play but felt it was worth bringing that up again...

I think I was the one saying I love pace just as much as winning, but a few months removed from that, I'm ready for this guy to grind the Ohio community colleges into dust.Ā šŸ˜‚

Also, Tom Fox and Blocker both follow McCollum on Twitter. Fox makes sense because people call McC "your coach's favorite coach," but Blocker is interesting. Anyone able to see how recently the follows were? Different algo these days.

7 minutes ago, ukbro00 said:

Same. If he didn't like what he saw yesterday, he's out. Can't see what the holdup would be at this point if he wants the job.Ā 

probably the classic bleu cheese vs ranch thing that holds up all of these deals

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Does anyone know what BH is getting paid at Ark St?

ā€œWe visited with a variety of outstanding coaches from multiple levels, but we ultimately identified Bryan as the perfect fit for our program and community.ā€ Hodgson, who signed a five-year contract with an annual salary of $385,000, said he is both thrilled and honored to be selected as the new head coach.

Ā 

https://www.jonesborosun.com/sports/hodgson-to-lead-a-state-men-s-basketball/article_7644296b-92e9-59be-a0b0-7bb07b489860.html#:~:text=ā€œWe visited with a variety,as the new head coach.

I live in Maryville, MO, home of Northwest Missouri State University. I see the questions, so I thought I'd give a little insight on what you will see offensively if Ben becomes your next coach. They don't play fast, but they play efficient. NWMSU has led or been near the top of all levels of college basketball in offensive efficiency the last several years... points per possession. You will see a lot of player and ball movement, ball screens, and some isolations when there are mismatches. NWMSU's scoring has typically come from getting to the basket and/or making 3s... you don't see a lot of mid range shots taken. They will take the break off of a turnover or a long rebound if it's there, but they don't really attempt to push the ball off of made baskets. You will probably never see a guy come down the court and immediately pull up off the dribble, but that doesn't mean his teams are always trying to run clock... they'll take an early shot if it's a good shot. He doesn't want players turning down shots or penetration when its available. I've always been kind of a push the ball guy... play fast, but NW plays with some of the prettiest unselfish ball movement that makes it just as fun to watch. He's had exceptional point guards that can score and control the pace during his time in Maryville, so that will probably be a key for him to make happen wherever he lands. On the defensive end, his teams always guard hard... the intensity and intelligence that his teams play defense with is exceptional. We hate to lose him, but it is inevitable that we will... you're getting a good one if he ends up as your coach.

Ā 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

ā€œWe visited with a variety of outstanding coaches from multiple levels, but we ultimately identified Bryan as the perfect fit for our program and community.ā€ Hodgson, who signed a five-year contract with an annual salary of $385,000, said he is both thrilled and honored to be selected as the new head coach.

Ā 

https://www.jonesborosun.com/sports/hodgson-to-lead-a-state-men-s-basketball/article_7644296b-92e9-59be-a0b0-7bb07b489860.html#:~:text=ā€œWe visited with a variety,as the new head coach.

How does that compare to Whitesell and Oats?

4 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I took the salary as one that UB would have paid, you think the next coach will be paid less?Ā 

I am in agreement with you. I am saying that if he didn't pick Arkansas St for the $, he was never really in the running at UB (by choice or no offer).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I took the salary as one that UB would have paid, you think the next coach will be paid less?Ā 

I'm arguing with some meathead on Two Bills Drive that said Hodgeson took the Ark State job because UB was cheaping out. I pointed out the SUNY is allergic to controversy (to which he scoffed. After all who cares if your players are implicated in a murder.) As for the money, Whitesell was making a little less than that and Oats was making almost twice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I am in agreement with you. I am saying that if he didn't pick Arkansas St for the $, he was never really in the running at UB (by choice or no offer).

Thanks for clarifying

guess I'm so used to buffalo being cheap that it was how how interpreted it

Ā 

21 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Still waiting on an announcement. Have to think we are waiting on Cohen at this point. Possibly want to have a in person interview? Or we are still interviewing candidates as we speak. Wish we would have a answer sooner than laterĀ 

9979C2E5-7DE3-44BB-90F8-48B1FC02F436.jpeg

It's starting to feel like....

tomorrow-eventually.gif.0e47006e4d36c9bb779e072d2f639029.gif

36 minutes ago, Alfred33 said:

I live in Maryville, MO, home of Northwest Missouri State University. I see the questions, so I thought I'd give a little insight on what you will see offensively if Ben becomes your next coach. They don't play fast, but they play efficient. NWMSU has led or been near the top of all levels of college basketball in offensive efficiency the last several years... points per possession. You will see a lot of player and ball movement, ball screens, and some isolations when there are mismatches. NWMSU's scoring has typically come from getting to the basket and/or making 3s... you don't see a lot of mid range shots taken. They will take the break off of a turnover or a long rebound if it's there, but they don't really attempt to push the ball off of made baskets. You will probably never see a guy come down the court and immediately pull up off the dribble, but that doesn't mean his teams are always trying to run clock... they'll take an early shot if it's a good shot. He doesn't want players turning down shots or penetration when its available. I've always been kind of a push the ball guy... play fast, but NW plays with some of the prettiest unselfish ball movement that makes it just as fun to watch. He's had exceptional point guards that can score and control the pace during his time in Maryville, so that will probably be a key for him to make happen wherever he lands. On the defensive end, his teams always guard hard... the intensity and intelligence that his teams play defense with is exceptional. We hate to lose him, but it is inevitable that we will... you're getting a good one if he ends up as your coach.

Ā 

Thank you for your input, we will see what happens.

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

Hiring a D2 guy, even one with his record, looks bad to some observers. Like hiring the winningest D3 football coach.Ā 

John Beilein coached high school, junior college, D3, D1 low mid major, D1 high mid major, then at 2 P5s. He was ā€œthe manā€ at every spot. He was never an assistant. McCollum - Iā€™d rather he get a shot here than some retread or a guy whoā€™s just been an assistant.

59 minutes ago, Alfred33 said:

I've always been kind of a push the ball guy... play fast, but NW plays with some of the prettiest unselfish ball movement that makes it just as fun to watch.

On the defensive end, his teams always guard hard... the intensity and intelligence that his teams play defense with is exceptional.Ā 

Ā 

I could definitely enjoy this, especially if it comes with winning games.

• Like 2