Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

1 hour ago, clodney said:

Instead of telling everyone to ignore them, can we please just put a disclaimer on all of their posts that says, "NOTE: This poster has no affiliation with UB and received the highest of educations from Canisius College". That way anyone lurking won't think our fans are complete idiots.

With apologies to the Bard, that poster is “an ignoramus, who spins his views, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” Please don’t lump us (CC grads) all together. 

Edited by squire17

Just now, Kevin said:

I was just told:

Calhoun declined for NIL budget reasons

Cohen declined as he was looking for a longer contract than the original length discussed. 

If losing Cohen was due to a contract length dispute than I’m flabbergasted, and I dont see how Alnutt continues to have anyone’s vote of confidence 

1 minute ago, ub2019 said:

How much is Alnutt hamstrung by Tripathi/SUNY budget wise? 

I would assume, a lot. Factor in the 100k early extra fee on top of whatever the fee already is + search firm fees. 

Burke got 5 years and 250k - so 1.25M

Assuming UB is handing out 5 for 250k or 3 years for 400k or 1.25m to start with. 

3 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

SUNY has restrictions on contract lengths. Not sure what that is, though. 

Well Burke got 5. 

Whitesell had a 5 year deal and added an extra year and money for really no reason. He was signed through 2025 season.

Whitesell's fee:

$600,000 if fired between April 6, 2021 through April 5, 2022
$500,000 if fired between April 6, 2022 through April 5, 2023
$400,000 if fired between April 6, 2023 through April 5, 2024
$300,000 if fired between April 6, 2024 through April 5, 2025

Alnutt got in his own way though too, a 500K fee, should have been 400k at least. 

Talked to someone in the department this afternoon. They're projecting confidence and saying the "news" that has come out isn't necessarily true. Sounds like family considerations factored heavily in Cohen's decision, unfortunately. Still no idea why we're hearing about candidates declining and not just "Coach X has been hired" when it's finalized.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Talked to someone in the department this afternoon. They're projecting confidence and saying the "news" that has come out isn't necessarily true. Sounds like family considerations factored heavily in Cohen's decision, unfortunately. Still no idea why we're hearing about candidates declining and not just "Coach X has been hired" when it's finalized.

Wonder if they could be like “hey I know you don’t like the length of contract, but you can earn an extension if you/team perform well”. If it is due to NIL or lack of resources there’s not much you could say to that other than being optimistic that those resources will be available in the near future 

4 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I’m still optimistic but disappointed. There’s ton of great talent out there and young coaches looking for opportunities. Just hate that this has to drag out for longer than normal 

It’s become the UB way. In the end we will end up with Whitesell again bc he can keep players from transferring. Stop me if this sounds familiar.

3 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Wonder if they could be like “hey I know you don’t like the length of contract, but you can earn an extension if you/team perform well”. If it is due to NIL or lack of resources there’s not much you could say to that other than being optimistic that those resources will be available in the near future 

I have no idea what the contract length thing is about, wasn't discussed at all. Can't see the contract ever being three or six years, so would it really come down to four vs five? I'd hope not.

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

I have no idea what the contract length thing is about, wasn't discussed at all. Can't see the contract ever being three or six years, so would it really come down to four vs five? I'd hope not.

Think @Kevin mentioned something about contract length playing a role. Sorry for the confusion 

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

This all seems weird. I can't imagine Cohen genuinely plans to be here for more than 3-5 years...

2 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Contracts should be no shorter than 5 years. Reason being, you have to give a coach a full player cycle to show results. Players get 4 years right…give the coach 5. Which covers a full player cycle and the lame duck season

Just now, Dabulls said:

Think @Kevin mentioned something about contract length playing a role. Sorry for the confusion 

No yeah I saw that, could be. Just didn't hear anything about it on my end. I don't really have sources, just a one-off conversation with someone over there who knows fans like you and I are growing concerned.

• Like 1