Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

Contracts should be no shorter than 5 years. Reason being, you have to give a coach a full player cycle to show results. Players get 4 years right…give the coach 5. Which covers a full player cycle and the lame duck season

Transfer portal changes this completely. You can get your guys in now. Progress in 1 or 2 years. Results in 2 or 3

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

This all seems weird. I can't imagine Cohen genuinely plans to be here for more than 3-5 years...

Were assuming that it's length being to short of a contract. 

For all we know he got a seven year contract with a massive buyout. He could of wanted a shorter contract with a smaller buyout. Makes things easier for the jump

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

No yeah I saw that, could be. Just didn't hear anything about it on my end. I don't really have sources, just a one-off conversation with someone over there who knows fans like you and I are growing concerned.

My only inside sources at UB are on the Football team, not much help with this situation 😂

43 minutes ago, squire17 said:

With apologies to the Bard, that poster is “an ignoramus, who spins his views, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” Please don’t lump us (CC grads) all together. 

lol! Sorry, I couldn't help myself taking a shot there. You're a solid contributor, Squire! I'm just fed up with posts about how UB basketball is worse than Sweet Home High and should've hired Pat Riley for $5 million.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rma said:

Transfer portal changes this completely. You can get your guys in now. Progress in 1 or 2 years. Results in 2 or 3

Understood but you don’t build through the portal. You round out a roster through it. I think that’s becoming more evident. You can have instant results from the portal but that philosophy isn’t sustainable.

8 minutes ago, rma said:

While you get results it will be almost impossible to recruit high schoolers if there's no "guarantee" they the coach they are committing to will be there for the full 4/5 years. Even landing younger transfers will be difficult with the new limits on transfer waivers. If the coach they commit to doesn't get renewed they're stuck without being able to transfer a second time with immediate eligibility

Edited by trueblue32

6 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I forget who I was listening to but someone when talking about NIL mentioned schools should start hiring general managers of sorts to handle the NIL 

Great, another salary to pay that takes out of the limited pool we have. I understand the concept and they should “pay for themselves” eventually but college sports is losing the fun factor very quickly. Soon we will have 12 players wa b with their own “brand” to worry about and then the team aspect goes out the window. An interesting time we are living through. My daughter is a D2 athlete and I’m happy watching their sports teams and they broadcast most of their games and events. 

Edited by UBinMD

13 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This is laughable. And goes back to the point @enrique14150made…no one wants to grind and get their hands dirty. I have no doubts we are promising the world while lacking the means to attain it, but at some point a would be coach has to lace up and take on the challenge.

Maybe it is time to think out of the box UB should look into a Woman's basketball coach that is young ambitious and self assured. It would get us into the national media could increase our ability to attract NIL.  If she wins she is on every ESPN show and moves up in no time.  Plus Woman only get paid 86 cents to a mans dollar

UB Hires:

Whitesell: 5 years

Burke: 5 years

2023 Carousel Comps (that I could easily find details for):

Hodgson at Arkansas St: 5 years

Steve Lutz at WKU: 4 years

Brooks Savage at ETSU: 5 years

Tobin Anderson at Iona: 5 years

Sundance Wicks at Green Bay: 5 years

Will Wade at McNeese State: 5 years

Jason Hooten at New Mexico State: 5 years

I don't understand how the length is a possible hang-up. 5 years is pretty standard. If Alnutt is offering any less than 5 (maybe 4) then I understand why people are saying no. If the candidates want more than 5 years then they are not serious about getting the job

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

UB Hires:

I don't understand how the years is a possible hang-up. 5 years is pretty standard. If Alnutt is offering any less than 5 (maybe 4) then I understand why people are saying no. If the candidates want more than 5 years then they are not serious about getting the job

I really wish we had hired Sundance Wicks. Missed out on that name!

15 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Who is responsible for setting up NIL? The ad or coach or school

None of the above. Again, the school isn’t involved. At all. It’s donors and fans. They set it up, fundraise and hire. Many are set up as non profits if the goal is to get the athletes to do charitable work for their pay. 

Edited by DaBulls99
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

UB Hires:

I don't understand how the years is a possible hang-up. 5 years is pretty standard. If Alnutt is offering any less than 5 (maybe 4) then I understand why people are saying no. If the candidates want more than 5 years then they are not serious about getting the job

They are looking for longer. 

1 minute ago, DaBulls99 said:

None of the above. Again, the school isn’t involved. At all. It’s donors and fans. They set it up, fundraise and hire. 

So who is responsible for fund raising projects for specific teams

Because those are the people who need to engage the community and alumni and fans to start NIL 

Unless I'm completely out to lunch on this, which is very possible (and likely) with all the rules associated with college athletics 

24 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

While you get results it will be almost impossible to recruit high schoolers if there's no "guarantee" they the coach they are committing to will be there for the full 4/5 years.

“Come with me and we’ll build this thing up and when I get a better job you’re coming too. And there’s better NIL wherever I’m going”

Not saying that this is said but I’m sure it’s been implied. Lance brought half his team to Kansas. He might not have said that when recruiting them but if you’re smart you can put 2 and 2 together. 

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

They are looking for longer. 

It's a trade-off to consider depending on the gap in candidate quality between those looking for 5 and those looking for 6+.  Personally, after the Whitesell debacle and this search I'm not super keen on handing out extra years to candidates with no leverage and I can understand why the department wouldn't be either

5 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Because those are the people who need to engage the community and alumni and fans to start NIL 

Unless I'm completely out to lunch on this, which is very possible (and likely) with all the rules associated with college athletics 

2 different things. Athletics employees fundraise for athletics facilities. NIL is Name Image and Likeness. As in the same way Josh Allen reps specific companies like West Herr even though the Bills are Northtown Auto. Athletics employees can’t fundraise for NCAA student athletes to get personal endorsements. It has to come from the outside. 

Edited by DaBulls99

4 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

The donors/fans/university.

The coach can be involved with this. 

15 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

UB Hires:

I don't understand how the length is a possible hang-up. 5 years is pretty standard. If Alnutt is offering any less than 5 (maybe 4) then I understand why people are saying no. If the candidates want more than 5 years then they are not serious about getting the job

6+ years off the bat for a first time head coach is reallllly pushing it. Unless the buyout reflects a 5 year contract I wouldn’t make that deal either