Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

Is the fact that on a surface Jim whitesell looked successful here/performed as expected for a Mac school and still was fired for his first down year where he had all underclassman scaring coaches away? 

I say on the surface because I think anyone that watched the ub teams the past few years knew it was time to move on but he had a winning record and decent metrics up until this season

33 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Is the fact that on a surface Jim whitesell looked successful here/performed as expected for a Mac school and still was fired for his first down year where he had all underclassman scaring coaches away? 

I say on the surface because I think anyone that watched the ub teams the past few years knew it was time to move on but he had a winning record and decent metrics up until this season

No but yes...

The reason that's not an issue... Coaches know UB has been successful.  They know Hurley and Oats used it as a stepping stone and had success.  The MAC is a solid conference which allows for recruiting.  So it's a middle of the road conference and program--like a VCU--which can build a reputation as being a strong program and a spring board for coaches wanting to make the jump to lucrative P6 contracts.  Much easier to be hired from a mid-tier conference/program than a bottom tier.

When they see that Whitesell was fired when he was successful (by MAC standards) at least on paper, that signals to prospective coaches that UB is serious about wanting to win and really makes the program an exciting prospect for ambitious coaches.  They want to be at a program where the program wants to win and tries to make it happen.

As a result, Whitesell being fired is not an issue.

However, when these coaches meet with the Admin and talk about the vision and what they need to succeed they realize that UB is not infact serious about winning and not going to give them what they need to be successful.  As a result, they are left thinking... this is going to be a hard job and not only that but UB has high expectations.  They just fired a coach that was doing a pretty decent job.  If they aren't going to commit to giving me what I think I need to be successful then this could really stunt my career progression.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Jim got 4 years here after inheriting a great team and it didn’t pan out. One MAC finals loss and a handful of first round exits. Candidates shouldn’t be scared off by that, unless they have no confidence in their ability to build a program. If that’s the case I wouldn’t want them here anyway 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

No but yes...

The reason that's not an issue... Coaches know UB has been successful.  They know Hurley and Oats used it as a stepping stone and had success.  The MAC is a solid conference which allows for recruiting.  So it's a middle of the road conference and program--like a VCU--which can build a reputation as being a strong program and a spring board for coaches wanting to make the jump to lucrative P6 contracts.  Much easier to be hired from a mid-tier conference/program than a bottom tier.

When they see that Whitesell was fired when he was successful (by MAC standards) at least on paper, that signals to prospective coaches that UB is serious about wanting to win and really makes the program an exciting prospect for ambitious coaches.  They want to be at a program where the program wants to win and tries to make it happen.

As a result, Whitesell being fired is not an issue.

However, when these coaches meet with the Admin and talk about the vision and what they need to succeed they realize that UB is not infact serious about winning and not going to give them what they need to be successful.  As a result, they are left thinking... this is going to be a hard job and not only that but UB has high expectations.  They just fired a coach that was doing a pretty decent job.  If they aren't going to commit to giving me what I think I need to be successful then this could really stunt my career progression.

Gonna call BS on that. Our overall budget is the largest in the MAC. Our basketball budget including operating expenses and recruiting is tops in the conference. Facilities are on par with the conference and competitive with all our peer schools. What you’re saying isn’t backed by the facts. You can look it all up. 
https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

• Like 2

Just now, Blue03 said:

On the bright side Josh Allen is visiting as a speaker 🤷‍♂️. Never thought the student association would be more competent than the athletic  department. 

Two of the years when I was in school we had Jay Leno and Steven Wright as our guests at Homecoming and I thought that was the greatest thing ever, next to the Fallfest and Springfest concerts that got some really good bands that were hot at that time.

14 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

90-60 head coaching career. Only 33 years old. I don’t mind this at all

Would likely need to recruit an excellent staff but not a bad record. I literally just learned of his name but at a glance a bit less exciting than some other... A name thrown around as a HC prospect for Sam Houston State

5 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Would likely need to recruit an excellent staff but not a bad record. I literally just learned of his name but at a glance a bit less exciting than some other...

Being in the MAC he’d be able to recruit more higher end mid major talent than at Nicholls. However he did bring in a 4 star transfer SF the past season. He also heavily recruited JUCO players there, which is fairly common for low mid majors. Won the conference championship in 21 and 22. Was also voted the top coach in the Southland conference in 2021

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Would likely need to recruit an excellent staff but not a bad record. I literally just learned of his name but at a glance a bit less exciting than some other... A name thrown around as a HC prospect for Sam Houston State

I like the Interview du jour piece 🤣

Seems competent and still young enough to be hungry.

22 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

This is getting kind of grim. Nicholls State is an absolute basketball backwater in rural Louisiana. He's only cracked the top 200 on Torvik once despite racking up wins in the bad Southland. Zero regional connections to the MAC. He played D3 at Emory which is a fantastic academic institution, so I'll hold out hope that he's a bright guy. But this is not the pedigree of coach that any of us expected to be considered.

How can we expect this guy and his early rosters to compete against Boals, Kolwaczyk, Grocery, Senderoff, and their squads? I have the creeping feeling that returning Whitesell and all of our actually quite talented players for another year would have been a better option knowing what we know now. 

11 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Is a Halcovage deal pending or did we just beg him not to tell anyone he said no?

20 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I'm not saying this is your fault. But i'm not saying it's not either....

3 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

lol who knows if this nickname is good or bad...

edit:

This is where we are. At one point does our limited donor base start to send votes of non-confidence regarding Mark Alnutt?

I’m envisioning candidates asking about the future of the basketball program’s facilities, and ADMA excitedly talking about the fieldhouse, the football locker room, and the home game against Louisiana in 2037 

Edited by UBfan44

4 minutes ago, UBfan44 said:

I’m envisioning candidates asking about the future of the basketball program’s facilities, and ADMA excitedly talking about the fieldhouse, the football locker room, and the home game against Louisiana in 2037 

"look: you want a new job, we need a coach, we good?

I've been calling for change for 2 years now. We're getting that change now and as a result I'll go all-in to support the next coach. That being said it's wild that we went from "One of the best minds in college basketball" to a young guy with decent success at Nicholls who is apparently starving for a new gig. Did this last week of embarrassment also lead to a scenario where we overpay for an option that was this far down our list?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I've been calling for change for 2 years now. We're getting that change now and as a result I'll go all-in to support the next coach. That being said it's wild that we went from "One of the best minds in college basketball" to a young guy with decent success at Nicholls who is apparently starving for a new gig. Did this last week of embarrassment also lead to a scenario where we overpay for an option that was this far down our list?

He and Fitzpatrick follow each other on Twitter.

Austin Claunch (aside from not having known NE connections) would be a good hire. He's a well regarded up and comer. His record at Nicholls (which is still good) understates the job that he has done there. The Southland is one of the worst conferences in the country and Nicholls was rated as the worst job in that conference.
https://watchstadium.com/southland-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-08-29-2019/

KenPom ranks them as the #309 program in the country and that's AFTER the 4 successful years that Claunch has had there. He was also known as an early embracer of the transfer portal, and I'd suspect could cobble a good roster together from the portal alone in short order.

He wouldn't have been one of my top options but I'd be happy if we can land him

• Like 1