Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Roster

2 hours ago, clodney said:

Am I missing something? I thought Jack had length and athleticism and was highly efficient with the ball down low. He just sucked at keeping players in front of him defensively and ended up reaching in for fouls. I will admit though, I spaced out for most of the second half of the season.

You’re not missing anything. He is all that. Just needs more polishing. I think the point that @trueblue32is making is that McCollum’s offense features a big who can spread the floor versus fill the paint and need paint touches. Sounds like Skogman would fit nicely in the system.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Sounds like Skogman would fit nicely in the system.  

I was thinking he’d probably be a D1 prototype of the type of big man McCollum has had at NW Missouri St. Same type of skill set but an extra few inches of height and good athleticism

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 5:22 PM, clodney said:

I'm no basketball expert but I can't imagine not having a single big on your roster at the D1 level and although Jack struggled on the defensive end, he appeared highly efficient on the offensive side of the ball. I thought efficiency was the biggest deal in McCollum's offense.

I do not know, FDU knocked off Purdue with an average height of 6'1".

On 3/24/2023 at 5:26 PM, clodney said:

Am I missing something? I thought Jack had length and athleticism and was highly efficient with the ball down low. He just sucked at keeping players in front of him defensively and ended up reaching in for fouls. I will admit though, I spaced out for most of the second half of the season.

Jack had great skill coming in as just a true freshman. His defense will get better with time if he decides to stay. He already proved that he can be effective offensively. Centers and PF’s are a lot like hockey goalies, takes time to develop at a higher level most of the time

40 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I do not know, FDU knocked off Purdue with an average height of 6'1".

I'm not sure I like the model of FDU as our target, but point take. To make it to that point, we need to actually win the MAC and to do that, I believe we will need some level of interior size regardless of overall scheme. He seems like a coach that can adapt to the opponent of his team cannot impose their play style and I'm sure he will assess his competition within the conference. He obviously knew what he could and could not do in his conference since he won the league 10 years in a row.

Just now, Dabulls said:

1- Caesar 

looks like Powell is close to transferring as well, getting some big time looks

I don’t know if I want Powell back. He was exciting and showed flashes of strength as an overall but seemed very focused on himself. Iona fans want him bad.

4 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I don’t know if I want Powell back. He was exciting and showed flashes of strength as an overall but seemed very focused on himself. Iona fans want him bad.

I feel the same, I liked his defensive abilities and of course his vicious dunks but he wasn’t the greatest team player. I could see him at Iona, they’ve been the Kings of the MAAC for a while. Really only St Peters and Siena are their biggest competitors. When I was at Siena, Iona always had a powerful guard who could drive the to the basket with authority. If their system doesn’t change with their new HC he’d be a perfect fit

2 hours ago, Dabulls said:

I feel the same, I liked his defensive abilities and of course his vicious dunks but he wasn’t the greatest team player. I could see him at Iona, they’ve been the Kings of the MAAC for a while. Really only St Peters and Siena are their biggest competitors. When I was at Siena, Iona always had a powerful guard who could drive the to the basket with authority. If their system doesn’t change with their new HC he’d be a perfect fit

I think this conversation about returning players belongs here, away from the recruiting thread.

With Zid being from Philly, I could see that connection with Halcovage and his people playing a role in his decision. Like you said, Zid's record-setting steal ability and explosive finishing are big-time skills, but Whitesell's loose system did not flatter him. I think he could be a useful guy to have around for one more year to keep our talent level up as we transition to the new roster. We'll see if he's too far gone into the portal though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

You want to keep zid if you can, put the guy in a more structured system and he will take off 

I agree with Powell needing a more structured system and a coach who will discipline when he gets out of control. And by discipline I mean, talking to him, benching him and drilling in him more team basketball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

We'll see how much Halcovage sticks to Villanova principles, but I don't imagine him fighting too hard to re-recruit a shooting guard who shot 17% from 3

Nova does like shooters, but they also like physical scrappers with positional size. To me, Zid isn't really a SG, he's a slashing wing who could even play the dunker spot at times. Perhaps Halcovage could take a route with Zid that Whitesell never thought of...tell him not to shoot any threes. Not sure we're going to find a better guy on the portal with one year remaining.

Edited by MuchMany
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I agree with Powell needing a more structured system and a coach who will discipline when he gets out of control. And by discipline I mean, talking to him, benching him and drilling in him more team basketball.

I am no expert, so trying to get more informed. Was Zid hurt somewhat by his poor outside shooting as his defender could focus on stopping the drive to the hoop? 

33 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I am no expert, so trying to get more informed. Was Zid hurt somewhat by his poor outside shooting as his defender could focus on stopping the drive to the hoop? 

88239824-CD4C-47E5-81A3-D1C3CD2F53D5.thumb.jpeg.3afee7e19817d69b36c5437e1800bb95.jpegYeah this was his first 3 in the Akron game. His defender was in the paint helping off of him and he ends up missing the shot. It was a recurring theme by the end of the season. If he’s not on-ball and can’t stretch the D you’re just playing 4 v 5. I do think whitesell tried to rein him in, he stopped starting and his minutes were significantly reduced for parts of the season. He has his strengths and in the right role I’m sure he will be productive but I don’t envision him taking well to a smaller role here and I think it’s best for everyone to get a clean start.

Also as a general comment on the Whitesell era look at that spacing. It’s poor offense and poor roster construction. Hoping Halcovage takes a more balanced approach to recruiting more polished shot makers as well as a few upside athletes. It felt like we were just always swinging on upside and not developing them enough once they got on campus

Edited by trueblue32

44 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

88239824-CD4C-47E5-81A3-D1C3CD2F53D5.thumb.jpeg.3afee7e19817d69b36c5437e1800bb95.jpegYeah this was his first 3 in the Akron game. His defender was in the paint helping off of him and he ends up missing the shot. It was a recurring theme by the end of the season. If he’s not on-ball and can’t stretch the D you’re just playing 4 v 5. I do think whitesell tried to rein him in, he stopped starting and his minutes were significantly reduced for parts of the season. He has his strengths and in the right role I’m sure he will be productive but I don’t envision him taking well to a smaller role here and I think it’s best for everyone to get a clean start.

Also as a general comment on the Whitesell era look at that spacing. It’s poor offense and poor roster construction. Hoping Halcovage takes a more balanced approach to recruiting more polished shot makers as well as a few upside athletes. It felt like we were just always swinging on upside and not developing them enough once they got on campus

Thank you.  I see what you mean about spacing...a lot of bodies in the paint on 'd' which makes a drive to hoop by Powell very difficult.  I take it if Foster was further out, potential for a pass to him, then to Jones for higher pct 3.

18 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I take it if Foster was further out, potential for a pass to him, then to Jones for higher pct 3.

Ideally yeah, on this play not shown in the screenshot was Foster was driving and kicking it out to Powell. Maybe if we had better spacing Foster is able to get all the way to the rim for a layup. There's only so much you can do to space the floor when you're playing 3 non-shooters (and none of them are a real post presence either), which was my point on roster construction as well.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

The team was hurt. His lack of outside shooting allowed defenses to sag off him. Thus cutting off his main weapon of driving to the rim. But in the team construct, as mentioned, it allows the defense to clog the paint. Limiting post play and forcing us to shoot over the top. Which we weren’t particularly good at. It became a matter of spacing which we were bad at. And the result was Powell always dribbling and dribbling then forcing it

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Zid was the worst in D1 basketball on FG3% at 17.6% for those attempting on average more than 3 per game. Shot 5 of 38 (13.1%) from behind the arc in the last 12 games.

Zid reminds me of Davonta Jordan with his drives to the basket, but Jordan made the threes as well. 

As a team, UB was ranked 279 out of 352 D1 teams on 3FG%. This year was the lower 3PT% for the team (32.2%) in over the last 15 years.

Very streaky team with the threes.  If they made them, they won. If they didn't, they lost. The nine lowest three point percentage games (26.7% or lower), they lost.  

Similarly, I think they made more threes if they had better ball movement. Under Whitesell, I'm not sure I saw many set plays, ball movement or good ball screens.

Edited by bullsbball
  • Like 1

Also came across this article from 2021 about Zid.

https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/1176584

It will be the first time in years Powell has played consecutive seasons at the same high school, prep or college program after bouncing around various programs, starting when he was a junior in high school.

Big dreams a lot of school changes.

9 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

This is the kind of post game analysis we could use more of.  Much more helpful than a horizontal line.

Hopefully Coach Halcovage makes it a priority to coax CuJo out of the portal. With his sophomore stats being similar to Massinburg’s (Curtis 15.1 ppg, 35.9% 3FG, 3.0 apg, 1.1 TOV; CJ 14.5 ppg, 33.1% 3FG, 2.8 apg, 2.0 TOV), I could see Curtis becoming an all-time great, 4-year Bull with the right players and system around him for the next 2 years. 

And maybe Coach can convince Philly native LQH to stay on for one last season to provide veteran leadership and try to re-claim that elusive MAC title.

Go Bulls! 🤘

• Like 1