Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

George Halcovage III the next UB Men's Basketball Coach

Jeseph

On 4/25/2023 at 8:13 PM, 121Merrimac said:

But what ratio would make sense?

HC 450

Staff 150, 120, 100, 50, 30 ??

image.jpeg.a433fd3026311867734d2a6f5bde0036.jpeg

The above is from TBN article from yesterday.  Maybe this is old news but clears up the salary splits. Here’s hoping GH3 has great success and UB somehow finds a way to keep him here, while some of these guys move up and get their shot at a HC job down the line somewhere if not Buffalo.

9 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

The above is from TBN article from yesterday.  Maybe this is old news but clears up the salary splits. Here’s hoping GH3 has great success and UB somehow finds a way to keep him here, while some of these guys move up and get their shot at a HC job down the line somewhere if not Buffalo.

That Cage number seems low. How bad was his pay down the road? I doubt he took a pay cut to coach at UB. 

41 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

That Cage number seems low. How bad was his pay down the road? I doubt he took a pay cut to coach at UB. 

Manhattan’s job posting for a third assistant a few days ago listed $65k to $70k. The latest data I’ve seen for Canisius, which was before Reggie was hired there, has Manhattan’s HC salary double Barons. It’s likely Cage was making around $50k at Canisius. It’s a rough situation at Canisius. 

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3rd-assistant-men-s-basketball-coach-at-manhattan-college-3570036906

12 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

The above is from TBN article from yesterday.  Maybe this is old news but clears up the salary splits. Here’s hoping GH3 has great success and UB somehow finds a way to keep him here, while some of these guys move up and get their shot at a HC job down the line somewhere if not

Edited by Bullsboys

14 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

So I guess we know the 5 guys still in the house.

3 minutes ago, rma said:

I appreciate Coach G letting us know what the returnee roster looks like 😉

Well we at least know which 5 players will have slightly less-sore legs tomorrow

32 minutes ago, Bill said:

Keeping Chatman and Adams is nice at least, assuming Chatman can play like he's capable. Jo smith wasn't bad either. Jones and Zaakir are wild cards obviously. 

Kanye had some flashes in a few games and then he wouldn't see action for 4-5 games. The game rotation was a bit wonky during the season.

25 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Kanye had some flashes in a few games and then he wouldn't see action for 4-5 games. The game rotation was a bit wonky during the season.

He kind of got stuck behind a lot of our guards, especially Powell. Kanye looked pretty decent when he was out there 

We have some talent returning

Adams and chatman should be top Mac players first/sec/third teamers 

Kanye was getting minutes in the ACC as a true freshman but couldn't get on the floor here (thought the first few games of the season were bad but once he slowed down and settled in every time he got on the floor he looked solid to good)

Jo Smith - solid contributor with potential for more plus gotta love his energy

Zakir Williamson- I thought offensively he looked good moved well and had some good moves but was lost defensively (but new/young players under whitesell looking lost on the defensive end was common)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Wonder where they're headed with an official visit in town on Sunday

DMV, easy in and out. Don’t know anything for sure, but there is a lot going on down here. Maybe I should reach out to him to scout local talent 😂😂

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It seems as though the AD has made it a point of emphasis that both basketball head coaches be young and social media conscious. Refreshing to see. I like being informed and just aware of what the staff is up to. Now the school and athletic program social medias have to follow suit.

Agree, even if they have someone that does it for them, just have a presence. UB football is also really good at it and hearing from players, HS/JUCO coaches etc 

2 hours ago, Dabulls said:

https://www.ubspectrum.com/article/2023/04/mens-basketball-coach-george-halcovage-iii-on-recruiting-buffalo-pride-and-building-a-lasting-culture?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_featured 

great article written by the UB news on GH. Good portion on recruiting that basically summarizes that HC is “looking for the right players” that fit his scheme. 

It was a good article 

On 4/12/2023 at 8:15 PM, Kevin said:

One of them will be announced as associate. I think it would be Presutti or Tibbs.

This always made sense to me. Tibbs wasn't taking a lateral move. 

On 4/12/2023 at 9:15 PM, MuchMany said:

Heard otherwise at the function today. Expecting no associate for now, "it's a promotion to keep a guy" more than a given. We'll see. 

Not sure who would have said that there, but that didn't make too much sense. 

48 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Heard it in passing conversation from someone in department at the Southern Tier event. Sometimes our sources are wrong, just like how Hopkins isn't a Bill. 

57 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Honestly on second thought, the timing and "elevation" to Associate just a month after hiring doesn't really make sense. Was Coach G taking some time to decide between the three assistants after seeing them work? 

I wonder if this has anything to do with what just happened with Huggins at WVU, Tibbs' origin school, and somehow already needing to retain him as WVU begins they succession plans for the following year. 

Edited by MuchMany