Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB NIL Collective (or lack thereof)

Hey Mods - this is a great topic, but somewhat lost under the current subject header. Could we possibly change the subject header to "NIL," or move the bulk of this discussion to an existing thread? Thanks for your work.

Edited by SpamTin
Spelling
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SpamTin said:

Hey Mods - this is a great topic, but somewhat lost under the current subject header. Could we possibly change the subject header to "NIL," or move the bulk of this discussion to an existing thread? Thanks for your work.

Good call - split

16 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

People complaining about no NIL collective. Get together in a room, discuss what needs to be done, get it started, open up your pockets. Get alumni and boosters on board. Otherwise, complaining on a forum about the lack of NIL funds will stay the same.

Complaining about FT % doesn't help either but I'm probably going to keep doing it.

That being said - if I had deeper pockets and still lived in Buffalo I'd do just that. If anybody wants to get serious about it let me know, I'm happy to help coordinate...

12 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

It's SUNY. They have along repeated history of mucking things up when they start going well or a something involving one school shows some initiative. I would not be shocked if it ends up needing to be a SUNY wide collective or something.Ā 

While I agree, SUNY does not regulate private enterprise, which is what a collective is.Ā 

Interesting numbers. Median would probably be more interesting, since there's probably some big numbers thrown around at the top of each level. And there's a huge difference between promised vs paid.Ā 

And some bias in the data with "and more than 1000 student-athletes weā€™ve contracted with" since self reported numbers aren't going to be accurate.

17 hours ago, rma said:

Interesting numbers. Median would probably be more interesting, since there's probably some big numbers thrown around at the top of each level. And there's a huge difference between promised vs paid.Ā 

And some bias in the data with "and more than 1000 student-athletes weā€™ve contracted with" since self reported numbers aren't going to be accurate.

This is an annual value or 4-year commitment value?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

Not officially.

https://shopubbulls.merchorders.com/shopContent.aspx?company=BUF&territory=BUF1&search=jersey

Embarrassing.

if you're okay with going a non-traDitional metHod of Getting A jersey, ThosE exist. but those are very hit or miss.

Unrelated topic and not sure where to post it but anyone have any idea if the recent realignment and moved by the pac-12 teams to the Big 10 and Big 12 will cause and ripple effect to involve movement in the MAC? Seems like whenever there are any changes with conferences the MAC is on an island by themselves.

2 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Unrelated topic and not sure where to post it but anyone have any idea if the recent realignment and moved by the pac-12 teams to the Big 10 and Big 12 will cause and ripple effect to involve movement in the MAC? Seems like whenever there are any changes with conferences the MAC is on an island by themselves.

Bc the leaders of the MAC are idiots and usually reactive rather than proactive. Mid major conferences should be looking to form a conference of the best mid majors. And thatā€™s where UB should go. Itā€™s the only way to stay afloat. Gone are geographical conferences. Itā€™s all about money and tv deals.Ā 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Bc the leaders of the MAC are idiots and usually reactive rather than proactive. Mid major conferences should be looking to form a conference of the best mid majors. And thatā€™s where UB should go. Itā€™s the only way to stay afloat. Gone are geographical conferences. Itā€™s all about money and tv deals.Ā 

Most MAC teams are fine as they are, they have their little internal rivalries and have been together for 60-70 years. Marshall came and went when they were good. Shocking Buffalo ever got into the conference honestly. I would love to see something with Buffalo, James Madison, Western Kentucky, Marshall, Coastal Carolina, App St, etc as a conference that could build on each other and become something more than they are individually. If Toledo, Ohio, maybe Ball St or NIU, beyond that not interested in other MAC mediocre schools.

4 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Most MAC teams are fine as they are, they have their little internal rivalries and have been together for 60-70 years.

Itā€™s this thinking that widens the gap between the haves and have nots. We live in an era where you either get with it or you get left behind. As this relates to UB, the AD should be looking forward. Not to stay status quo. Itā€™s only a matter of time before the power conferences completely break away and form their own league. Iā€™d want for UB to be part of that. Itā€™s a multi step process but the first step is not getting left behind in whatever is transpiring now.

6 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Not in the G5. The Sun Belt has leaned into regionality. Because in the G5 the tv money just isnā€™t there. Heck, the PAC12 just found that out. The G5 needs to lean into the fans for a change and do everything to make it fan friendly and have local rivals.Ā 

ACC is going to get shredded next I imagine, but probably not this year.

Would be cool to see a "public powerhouse" conference of all the remaining high-end academic and athletic schools that aren't SEC, B1G, or Big 12.

Pitt, VT, Virginia, UNC, NC State, Georgia Tech.Ā 

Grab UMass, William and Mary, UConn, Delaware, UIC, Temple.

Mayyybe Stony Brook and Binghamton.

4 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Not in the G5. The Sun Belt has leaned into regionality. Because in the G5 the tv money just isnā€™t there. Heck, the PAC12 just found that out. The G5 needs to lean into the fans for a change and do everything to make it fan friendly and have local rivals.Ā 

All this is fine until the sun belt loses its biggest teams. Again this is the crossroads where you either think progressively or get left behind. If you think regionally youā€™re getting left behind. Sorry but this is where the landscape has moved

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Would be cool to see a "public powerhouse" conference of all the remaining high-end academic and athletic schools that aren't SEC, B1G, or Big 12.

If the acc gets picked apart similarly to the pac 12, would the Mac be in position to grab some schools similar to how the mountain west is?

Because if they're not they should try to get in positionĀ 

36 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

If the acc gets picked apart similarly to the pac 12, would the Mac be in position to grab some schools similar to how the mountain west is?

Because if they're not they should try to get in positionĀ 

I can't see any schools from the ACC wanting to join the MAC.

The list of schools I suggested for a new conference all have in common being top ~50 public universities. Miami Ohio is the only one I could see coming with us.

I don't think we should have any loyalty to the MAC. And I think we should try to escape to a group with our actual peers ASAP (with all our trophies of course).

9 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I can't see any schools from the ACC wanting to join the MAC.

The list of schools I suggested for a new conference all have in common being top ~50 public universities. Miami Ohio is the only one I could see coming with us.

I don't think we should have any loyalty to the MAC. And I think we should try to escape to a group with our actual peers ASAP (with all our trophies of course).

Starting a brand new league would be incredibly difficult but I 100 percent agree the best conference for UB is one that doesn't exist (yet)

To me it would make more sense/easier to expand the Mac to the east coast, imagine if they were able to add temple, UMass, and if you're looking into acc schools a Boston college or another bigger fish like uconnĀ 

If the Mac has no interest in expanding UB needs to start looking elsewhere but I don't believe that the Mac doesn't want to expand

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

FBS football is driving everything.Ā  Stony Brook is FCS and Binghamton does not have football. No conference that is going to play FBS wants them.

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Very difficult to shread the ACC.Ā  With the grant of rights though 2036 it is almost impossible to break it up. Florida State is looking into outside capital to support it in general. Could thatoney be used to pay off the grant of rights debt, maybe.Ā 

• Like 1