Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB vs. Liberty Cabana Boys CBS Sports Network Noon EDT 9-16-23

BrooklynBull

Terrible loss. Again, this program does not have a secondary and the D stinks.  no one really performed well in a game like this.

Someone on the staff should be shown the door. I know it won’t happen. This program is middling FCS level now.  In NY State they are probably similar level to FCS Albany and Fordham prob even below them.   I’m not even sure they’d beat Stony Brook or Wagner at this point. A real embarrassing start to the season.  UB has decent facilities and resources now, there’s no reason for this.

This is what coach said earlier in the week about the Fordham game:

“Although we lost, there’s a ton of areas that we’re playing at a high level, but we’ve got to continue to raise the level of play, all across the board."

I wrote in a post that “Basically, the coach is blaming execution and knowing what you are supposed to do.”

—-

I think he (and his staff) believe we have the talent, but the execution is not there.  I suspect there will be comments about that this week as well.  I guess, however, you can’t keep blaming execution because eventually people will blame the teacher!

Maybe we don’t have the talent he believes we have or maybe it is execution…or maybe both.  But the bottom line is that we can’t really run block like we have in the past, get little push on defense and seem out of position on many occasions in the defensive backfield. 

—-

I am not sure how good Louisiana is, but that will be tough on the road regardless.  We are likely to be 0-4 going to Akron to start the conference portion of the schedule.  

At least we can score points through the air.  That will keep up in games against teams that have bad offenses. 

The losses keep getting uglier.  As someone else said, the D is full of veterans yet they’re getting torched to the tune of 44 pts/game.  Not sure it’ll be any easier next week @ Louisiana as currently UB is given a 29% chance to win by ESPN. I’m guessing that will dip lower depending how UL plays against UAB today.

The passing game has been the only positive thru 3 games.  A tipped pass on Snyder’s 2nd INT today, and seems like his 1st was a little unlucky too, probably wouldn’t have mattered anyway the way the D was getting sliced and diced.

The running game has been disappointing to say the least. Washington has shown positive signs but the OL just isn’t winning the battle up front like we were accustomed to seeing from LL’s teams. Cook doesn’t seem to have the same burst he had in the past and they’re not using him in the passing game much.  And what’s the deal with Al-Jay Henderson, is he hurt? He was the Bulls’ 3rd leading rusher last year and looked very promising, but hasn’t had a single carry so far this year. 

The head coach is more talk than action from what i can see.  He might be a decent position coach, i’m not even sure? but one of the worst things about Mo is the awful coaching staff he’s assembled, especially on D.  and ironically it seems like several of the MAC teams have some solid D this season,  The Bulls are the outlier.  He should be fired just on that alone, hiring a staff that has no ability to coach the team up. 

Look at this transition.  He hasn't been able to keep coaches, and his coordinators are not qualified to be coordinators for a Headcoach who was never a coordinator.  UB has 2 assistant coach (20%) in the same role after only 2 years.  If you want to see the polar opposite, go look at Lance's staff at Kansas.

Note:  Bailey leaves after 1 year to go to Georgia Southern, Ojong leaves to go to Charlotte.  Not what I would call promotions to Power 5.

image.png.10ceed17bd0f5057c1b10d21b46d054b.png

Edited by Sportsfan

2 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

Look at this transition.  He hasn't been able to keep coaches, and his coordinators are not qualified to be coordinators for a Headcoach who was never a coordinator.  UB has 2 assistant coach (20%) in the same role after only 2 years.  If you want to see the polar opposite, go look at Lance's staff at Kansas.

Note:  Bailey leaves after 1 year to go to Georgia Southern, Ojong leaves to go to Charlotte.  Not what I would call promotions to Power 5.

image.png.10ceed17bd0f5057c1b10d21b46d054b.png

Judging from my observations and their subsequent jobs I don’t think Montgomery and Cauthen were necessarily “lost” more likely they were not retained. Bailey went to his Alma mater

14 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Not sure it’ll be any easier next week @ Louisiana as currently UB is given a 29% chance to win by ESPN. I’m guessing that will dip lower depending how UL plays against UAB today.

The Ragin’ Cajuns beat UAB by 20 and as expected, UB’s chance for a W next week dipped to 17% according to ESPN’s projections.  Long way to go, but it’s telling at the moment that they give UB better than 50% chance in only 2 of the remaining games: @ Akron (52%) and the final game vs EMU (60%).  Not exactly inspiring a lot of confidence in anything but a regression from last season.

Edited by Bluebird96

6 hours ago, rma said:

Judging from my observations and their subsequent jobs I don’t think Montgomery and Cauthen were necessarily “lost” more likely they were not retained. Bailey went to his Alma mater

"Not Retained" would seem to be a key word.  Why would be a good question.  Both are seasoned coach's with strong backgrounds.  Cauthen is now DC at Utah State and Montgomery was OC at James Madision.  Would Mangus and Wright be considered coaching upgrades for a coach himself who has never been a coordinator.  Really have to wonder what is going on behind the curtain with the coaching staff.

Edited by Sportsfan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Louisiana put up 41, on the road at UAB. It could be another rough ride next weekend

I’d like to think we can turn things around, but our performance thus far and not getting much from the D or running game tells me otherwise. Can we keep up with teams by slinging the ball 40+ times and averaging 9 Yds a catch like we have thru 3 games?  I guess we’ll see 

Over the past few years there have been people calling for Mark Alnutt's head (myself included) for focusing too much attention on football and letting the basketball program fall off a cliff. What are we thinking of Alnutt now that the football is also failing? 

IMO Alnutt is the one who needs to go and it's long overdue. He inherited a department that had Lance Leipold, Felisha Legette-Jack, and Nate Oats, and he replaced them with Maurice Linguist, Becky Burke, and Jim Whitesell. The jury is still out on Becky but the other 2 struggled mightily trying to maintain relevance. Fan support has dropped off and I'd imagine donor money has as well. We're back on par with the lowest teams in the MAC, we're losing to FCS schools, and overall it feels like 2003 again. Am I wrong here? Do others still have hope that ADMA can actually right this thing?