Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Speculation

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

I get it. Here’s what I think. Everyone knew that Hurley got the Buffalo job because of his name. He had no coaching experience. If his horses had panned out, he would have never returned to hoops. He was arrogant. He wasn’t that great of a coach. Then after 2 years he left. Good riddance, azwhol!

Then Oats. Aw shucks, I’m in love with you folks! Shoot, I love you because you are blue collar. So am I! And...he’s the real deal! He’s great! He beats Miller! and Huggins and Boeheim AND Hurley!! We fall in love with Oats! He says he and his family, aw shucks, love us! But..but..but...Two point Four Smackers! 

We don’t like it that Oats left because we loved him. But he’s gone, so you better find somebody to love.

That is an interesting comment. Here is a novel idea: Let’s not love or worship our people in high profile jobs like coaches who become so full of themselves and their self importance that they lose all sense of accountability and responsibility and all sense of humility. Love of sports in general is gone. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John said:

That is an interesting comment. Here is a novel idea: Let’s not love or worship our people in high profile jobs like coaches who become so full of themselves and their self importance that they lose all sense of accountability and responsibility and all sense of humility. Love of sports in general is gone. 

Yep, I fell for this one, big time.

3 minutes ago, 961819 said:

I hope Oats gets a disease that causes his ass to itch uncontrollably 24/7, and scratching it only makes it itch more 

I am upset and angry but I would never wish that on anyone. Besides with Nick Sabin Oats will have a big time security blanket.

34 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

We all did. Well, most of us did. I really thought he was going to be the guy who would turn the program into the Gonzaga of the east. I was stupid and foolish for entertaining that thought.  

Oats was not in the same position as Mark Few.  Few grew up in the Gonzaga program.  He was a graduate assistant and then an assistant coach under a number of different head coaches for a total of 10 years before getting the head coaching spot.

8 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Yea the same blanket Avery Johnson had. Saban doesn’t give a flying F about basketball.

I am happy you know that for a fact. All security blankets eventually have to be replaced. In Avery’s case like in most of the higher profile jobs he was given his 3-5 years to turn Alabama into one of the better teams in the SEC and failed so on to the next coach. I wil wait for Oats to say he wants Alabama to be the Gonzaga of the south. 

3 minutes ago, John said:

I will wait for Oats to say he wants Alabama to be the Gonzaga of the south. 

Lol. 

As for the blanket. All I’m saying is that 2.4 million comes with high expectations. Especially with boosters involved. No patience. If he wins and can beat Kentucky and make runs in the tournament he will stay. But the leash is short. IMO

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Oats was not in the same position as Mark Few.  Few grew up in the Gonzaga program.  He was a graduate assistant and then an assistant coach under a number of different head coaches for a total of 10 years before getting the head coaching spot.

Then why would/did he ever reference it? It wasn’t like anyone here came up with that. It was our coach making the comparison. Shame on anyone for ever believing that. 

The biggest part of Gonzaga of the east is keeping the coach who started it all. 

Edited by Kevin

5 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Let's not kid our selfs either. Mark Few is getting paid about  $1.7 million.  Mark Few is in a position where 1.7 to 2.4 might not be worth uprooting and moving somewhere else. Apples to Apples would be an increase to over 5 million. 

Only difference between Mark Few and Nate Oats, is loyalty. 

I didnt read this whole thread but I am a little bothered by Oats. Sure most of us would leave our current job to triple our salary but the things he said even days before leaving just seems like a con artist. Now we know his 'dream' job was anywhere that paid 2 million or more. Not exactly how he portrayed his 'dream' job. 

1 minute ago, pottier25 said:

I didnt read this whole thread but I am a little bothered by Oats. Sure most of us would leave our current job to triple our salary but the things he said even days before leaving just seems like a con artist. Now we know his 'dream' job was anywhere that paid 2 million or more. Not exactly how he portrayed his 'dream' job. 

It was less than that. Pretty much came out and said the reason unlv wasn’t in play because it was in Vegas. 

17 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Only difference between Mark Few and Nate Oats, is loyalty. 

Gonzaga and UB are two different overall cases but do agree loyalty in many cases is not even a word in today’s world of sports have in their vocabulary or probably know how to spell. There is no clear cut right or wrong answer to loyalty. The justification for making most decisions is the MONEY  and the ends justify the means. The big question is how much money is enough money?? We alll have to answer that in our own walk in life. In Mark Few’s case &1.7 million and being comfortable and successful where he is now is enough. In Oats case $800,000 to &1 million in Buffalo is not enough and he can justify anyway he wants. We don’t have to agree based on our own circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Then why would/did he ever reference it? It wasn’t like anyone here came up with that. It was our coach making the comparison. Shame on anyone for ever believing that. 

The biggest part of Gonzaga of the east is keeping the coach who started it all. 

Few did not start the run.  The run began under Dan Fitzgerald and then Dan Monzon.  Few was third.

22 minutes ago, UB05 said:

It was less than that. Pretty much came out and said the reason unlv wasn’t in play because it was in Vegas. 

I liked that he called UNLV a "HIGH basketball job", we'll never know, but I still think he's taking that and the 1.6m if he doesn't get Alabama/UCLA. 

58 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Then would would/did he ever reference it? It wasn’t like anyone here came up with that. It was our coach making the comparison. Shame on anyone for ever believing that. 

That’s a good observation. you might be on to something!! From here on out let’s not believe anything a coach or someone in any high profile position says. Let’s believe they are all selling us a bill of goods based on their point of view to take advantage of their position. Better yet let’s stop following any sport and listening to people who feed us such a line of crap that the result is we think they are being honest. I do not agree with the statement from one person that this is how the business is and people do not want to understand it. Our family knows how this sports business is and it has been brewing for years an we have had enough. Instead of Oats starting off how great all is start by saying Hey if my dream job comes I am out of here but I m happy here and thanks for all your support and giving me an extension and thanks fans for your support but I am out of here if my dream job comes along. Kudos to all the faithful fans who somehow want to enjoy the game of basketball and continue to support UB or another team.