Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Lance Leipold to Kansas

promotherobot

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

It’s fascinating that people here talk so poorly about the Kansas job when the UWW fans could have said the exact same things about us prior to Lance’s arrival in Buffalo (I.e. career suicide). The guy has done a hell of a job turning around our program. It won’t be easy but he’s got the chance to try it again on a higher level. He’s earned it. 

My issue isn’t if Lance can do it or not. I look at the track record of Kansas and their unrealistic expectations. They won’t give time. If he doesn’t go above .500 in 2 maybe 3 years he’s gone. Higher profile coaches have been axed in that time. Kansas needs to allow what Buffalo did for Lance, give him time to change culture and perception. I just don’t see it happening and I wanted better for him to be honest. I also think his loyalty to his coaches (while I personally applaud it), he may have been better served to grab some guys that have been in the deep end of the pool to help him navigate an environment like he is going into. Hopefully he will prove me wrong but that conference, while not what it once was, is going to be a gauntlet. 

10 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

It’s fascinating that people here talk so poorly about the Kansas job when the UWW fans could have said the exact same things about us prior to Lance’s arrival in Buffalo (I.e. career suicide). The guy has done a hell of a job turning around our program. It won’t be easy but he’s got the chance to try it again on a higher level. He’s earned it. 

Quinn was 20-36 when LL took over the program in 2015.  In 2013, two years before LL started, Quinn led the Bulls to 2nd in the East, an 8-4 regular season record and a bowl game. 

So...to recap...

UB in 2013...8 wins and a bowl game. 
UB in 2014...5 wins in 11 games (blame  KSU)...Quinn fired before the season ends.

Kansas...since 2010, the most wins they have had in a season was 3.  They have finished 10th in the conference 9 out of the last 10 years (they finished 9th in the other season).

in conclusion, comparing what LL is taking over now relative to what he took over at UB...there is no comparison.   The data above tells the story.   

I would think that Kansas is probably the worst job in P5...or certainly on the very short list of worst P5 jobs at the moment.    UB, when LL took over, was a middling MAC team in a middling G5 conference.  

• Like 1

Quinn still takes the full record for 2014 and since we started FBS we were widely considered one of it not the worst program in FBS. We had a blip here and there but Lance elevated our overall program. Now, that doesn’t mean Kansas isn’t awful. That said, under Miles they played a ton of very young guys. Who knows what’s ahead for them (and I don’t care really). 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Quinn still takes the full record for 2014 and since we started FBS we were widely considered one of it not the worst program in FBS. We had a blip here and there but Lance elevated our overall program. Now, that doesn’t mean Kansas isn’t awful. That said, under Miles they played a ton of very young guys. Who knows what’s ahead for them (and I don’t care really). 

We also had 0 facilities prior to that. HUGE difference between then and now. Anyone who is competent should be able to at least be a .500 MAC record coach at this time due to the infrastructure investment for UB football. .500 should not be our bar, but there's no way that previous coaching regimes couldn't have done similarly with the current amenities UB has versus some of their league counterparts. LL was not, and won't ever be at the level of Nate, nor his elevation of the program.

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

I disagree that UB was “widely considered one of the worst if not the worst program in FBS”.   Sure...maybe during the first half of the 2000s, but they just started in FBS in 1999.   

When Quinn was there they were mediocre, at best.  But they were certainly not “one of the worst” programs in FBS during the Quinn era and he didn’t leave behind a Superfund site for Leipold.  

On the other hand, Kansas has sucked for 60 years, save for a brief reprieve during the Mangino years. 

Lance certainly was successful at UB and has taken them to new heights.  I am sorry he left, but let’s not pretend he did miracles at UB.   

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 9:44 AM, UBinMD said:

My issue isn’t if Lance can do it or not. I look at the track record of Kansas and their unrealistic expectations. They won’t give time. If he doesn’t go above .500 in 2 maybe 3 years he’s gone. Higher profile coaches have been axed in that time. Kansas needs to allow what Buffalo did for Lance, give him time to change culture and perception. I just don’t see it happening and I wanted better for him to be honest. I also think his loyalty to his coaches (while I personally applaud it), he may have been better served to grab some guys that have been in the deep end of the pool to help him navigate an environment like he is going into. Hopefully he will prove me wrong but that conference, while not what it once was, is going to be a gauntlet. 

Kansas has been amazing in its ability to maintain consistently poor performance in football.  They aren't just bad, they have been the bad of bads.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:09 AM, promotherobot said:

We were pretty bad. Maybe not rock bottom but close enough.

You're thinking of the Hofher years. We were pretty decent by the time Lance came around and were fresh off the Licata, Mack, Bo years.

On another note, Kotelnicki making a half a mill at Kansas is absolutely mind boggling. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, clodney said:

You're thinking of the Hofher years. We were pretty decent by the time Lance came around and were fresh off the Licata, Mack, Bo years.

On another note, Kotelnicki making a half a mill at Kansas is absolutely mind boggling. 

My conjecture on LL and his staff (at UWW and UB) is that they do a good job of making their players better and putting them in a good position to win at the start of the game.  It is not like LL had top recruiting classes.  

But...once the game started, I don't think they (overall) were as good as needed at making in game adjustments and, especially, at halftime.  Of course, if your team is up big (like UB and, I guess UWW) were several times, you don't really need to make many adjustments.  After all, if you hand the ball off to JP and he breaks it for a long TD, you probably want to do that again and again.

• Like 2

I think LL and his ex-UB asst coaches will do OK at Kansas. They have nowhere to go but up.  I mean if Lance gets them to 6 wins within the next couple years he's a hero.  

The reality is though, that Kansas will never out-recruit the traditional powers of that conference.  KU can get better, but those other 4-5 top clubs aren't just going to nose dive because Lance Leipold is in the conference.  But maybe they can slip past teams like Baylor, K-State or Texas Tech in the pecking order at some point.

16 hours ago, zigo230 said:

I think LL and his ex-UB asst coaches will do OK at Kansas. They have nowhere to go but up.  I mean if Lance gets them to 6 wins within the next couple years he's a hero.  

The reality is though, that Kansas will never out-recruit the traditional powers of that conference.  KU can get better, but those other 4-5 top clubs aren't just going to nose dive because Lance Leipold is in the conference.  But maybe they can slip past teams like Baylor, K-State or Texas Tech in the pecking order at some point.

I know Baylor is down since the Art Briles fiasco, but their investment in football is no joke.  Dave Aranda's salary is estimated at like $4 million/year and they've got nice new facilities.  They're taking football extremely seriously; I expect they'll be back in the mix at the top of the Big 12 in short order.

I'm not sure people (not directed at you, just in general) realize how far away Kansas is from even competing in the Big 12 in football.  They haven't won more than 1 game/season in conference play since 2008.  If they win 2 Big 12 games this year, Leipold is a miracle worker.  If they can sniff .500 in the Big 12 in the next ~3 years, Leipold is in line for a massive, massive payday somewhere, either Kansas or elsewhere.  I hold no ill will toward him or the staff he's taken with him, I wish him success.  I just don't think it's very likely.  Kansas is, bar none, far and away the single worst P5 football program in the country.  It's the ultimate challenge - I hope he succeeds.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Kansas pulled out the win against SD, didn’t cover the spread and yet their players were jumping around like they won the super bowl. The offense was dreadful, defense wasn’t great. If that’s their level of play, it will be a long year. Stands were full and they were so excited to beat South Dakota. I think LL did us a favor. I think Mo is going to take us to the next level.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Kansas pulled out the win against SD, didn’t cover the spread and yet their players were jumping around like they won the super bowl. The offense was dreadful, defense wasn’t great. If that’s their level of play, it will be a long year. Stands were full and they were so excited to beat South Dakota. I think LL did us a favor. I think Mo is going to take us to the next level.

Well, they needed to enjoy it. It will be their only celebration of the season. 

• Haha 1

I watched some of that game. The first half, till the very end was dreadful by Kansas.  But they did enough at the very end and got a couple penalties on their favor to assist on the winning drive.  

Their QB is a pretty good runner, but not a very good passer. 

It’s early in the LL attempt to transform Kansas.  I’m sure he will get some better talent in there over the next couple seasons.  Honestly, right now they looked like a very mediocre to below avg MAC club.  Unless there is a drastic uptick in level of play i don’t think KU wins another game this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zigo230 said:

I watched some of that game. The first half, till the very end was dreadful by Kansas.  But they did enough at the very end and got a couple penalties on their favor to assist on the winning drive.  

Their QB is a pretty good runner, but not a very good passer. 

It’s early in the LL attempt to transform Kansas.  I’m sure he will get some better talent in there over the next couple seasons.  Honestly, right now they looked like a very mediocre to below avg MAC club.  Unless there is a drastic uptick in level of play i don’t think KU wins another game this year.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article253849498.html

I guess it was a big deal. Such a tough hand dealt to Lance, coming in to KU late (taking some of UBs best players with him.) Life is so unfair.

Edited by promotherobot

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 12:11 PM, ChubbyHubby said:

For a while there last night, I thought the same person was calling the offensive plays for both KU and SD.  Looked very familiar.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-ku-jayhawks-football-coach-100000720.html

Not good to make a headline on Yahoo with a loss. Seems like halftime adjustments may still be a problem for the KU staff. If they lose to Duke (which I fully expect), this could be a bad season. Alumni and boosters will chirping.

Maybe Mike Novitski can transfer back.

15 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-ku-jayhawks-football-coach-100000720.html

Not good to make a headline on Yahoo with a loss. Seems like halftime adjustments may still be a problem for the KU staff. If they lose to Duke (which I fully expect), this could be a bad season. Alumni and boosters will chirping.

Maybe Mike Novitski can transfer back.

Well you knew it was gonna happen. KU has been irrelevant in football forever. One great season in that span. What did they really expect?