Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Carousel Primer (ESPN article)

ATL92

Alright guys enough this damn negativism!!! Bullieve! And to show you that I am not blowing smoke I am told by someone who listened to Nate’s interview earlier this afternoon with Jim Rome that Nate said he wants to make UB like Gonzaga. It also sounded like he had no plans to go anywhere. I don’t have the time now but maybe someone does can locate the interview online and post it here. 

Edited by UB85

4 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Is it harder to make Buffalo into a top-25 program or to make Nebraska or BC into a top-25 program?

I know people want him to stay but the money will be significant and if he is as great as we think, he can win national titles at those power conference schools.

He can win a national title here! Let’s stop selling UB short!!! There is absolutely no reason Nate can not achieve his goal right here at UB, even as handicapped as many think UB is.  

Edited by UB85
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UB85 said:

Alright guts enough this damn negativism!!! Bullieve! And to show you that I am not blowing smoke I am told by someone who listened to Nate’s interview earlier this afternoon with Jim Rome that Nate said he wants to make UB like Gonzaga. It also sounded like he had no plans to go anywhere. I don’t have the time now but maybe someone does to locate the interview online and post it here. 

Nate has said in almost every interview I've watched that he has no plan of leaving. I fully bullieve he is going to stay and become our Mark Few.

Go Bulls!

Edited by ubmae86

46 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Alright some more sleuthing tonight. I putting the odds at 90-10 he stays. 

nice comments tonight from coach. He's here to stay unless a dream job appears. 

I spoke with him a bit. He wants to be here. 

Guess what team - we will learn very soon... If there is a year to leave it’s this one. Graduating 5 out of our top 6/7 players. If he doesn’t go, chances are he is in it for beyond 1/2 yrs.

Btw- making the most money tomorrow doesn’t always equate to making the most money over a career. I have turned down countless jobs that would pay me more with the thought that what I was doing at the time was more valuable for the long haul. A person can railroad their career (seen turner gill) for a few years $. 

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

nice comments tonight from coach. He's here to stay unless a dream job appears. 

I spoke with him a bit. He wants to be here. 

What’s a “dream job” though? Is it Wisconsin? Is it one of 20 different P5 schools? 50? I’m trying to be optimistic but I was sure Hurley would stay and we botched that so there’s some nervousness here.

18 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Agreed, but without ADDW, we wouldn't have too many shirts with our Nations ugliest logo, either.

I think they're the second ugliest (OU attack cat), but we're on the same page with that logo 😉 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 7:40 AM, John said:

I do understand the thought process. I still do believe that money is not everything in life.

sure.  but oats was talking with pitt like a week after getting his extension at $600k. that $3M they offered hurley was surly on his mind...

On 3/9/2019 at 7:20 AM, UBminicre said:

Guess what team - we will learn very soon... If there is a year to leave it’s this one. Graduating 5 out of our top 6/7 players. If he doesn’t go, chances are he is in it for beyond 1/2 yrs.

Btw- making the most money tomorrow doesn’t always equate to making the most money over a career. I have turned down countless jobs that would pay me more with the thought that what I was doing at the time was more valuable for the long haul. A person can railroad their career (seen turner gill) for a few years $. 

gill made $10M at KU, and finished out at around $1M/yr at Liberty.  he did just fine.  ;D

Edited by ed

I think Coach is here to stay unless one of these teams that could conceivably have an opening comes calling, whether this year or five years from now. These are based on a combination of factors including location, pedigree, and size of market. Anywhere else feels like a lateral move with less job security.

ACC: Carolina, Miami, Cuse (hate to say, could make sense for them though), Notre Dame

SEC: Mizzou

B1G: MSU (hate to say again, but this is my gut for 2020-21 after Izzo retires, which would be awesome for Nate), Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, OSU, Indiana

BIG12: Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor

Big East: Nothing comes to mind

I'm staying positive about the situation, but still if I were an AD at one of these schools, Coach would be the #1 target on my radar. He's got it all, media savvy, intensity, face of the program, young enough to build for decades, experience with kids from tough backgrounds, and maybe the most underappreciated trait, a feel for numbers, patterns, and analytics.

This is just for the fun (and therapy) of speculation. I want Coach to stay as much as anyone and thankfully what we post here will have no influence on what comes to be.

9 hours ago, ed said:

gill made $10M at KU, at finished out at around $1M/yr at Liberty.  he did just fine.  ;D

I understand he made a considerable amount of money, but then he went to Liberty and now he is out of the sport. Perhaps he wanted to retire? Perhaps he wants to just make a boatload of money and put his feet up after cashing in, although I doubt that cause he went to Liberty! Either way, this is circumstantial and we hardly ever have all the details to determine what a person would do. But that is not my point. My point is that there are paths to success that do not revolve around jumping at the next big paycheck. Perhaps Turner Gill could have stayed at UB a little longer and ended up at Nebraska in 2014? Maybe he would have been successful and still been their coach to this day, totaling 20-30M? Or maybe he would have flamed out at UB staying a few years longer... Who knows. But for me, being patient and picking the perfect time to make monumental moves is why I got to where I am today, not because I took shortsighted paydays that were presented to me many times in my career.

We don't know what Oats will do, but there is certainly a case for him to stay here.

28 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

I understand he made a considerable amount of money, but then he went to Liberty and now he is out of the sport. Perhaps he wanted to retire? Perhaps he wants to just make a boatload of money and put his feet up after cashing in

He retired because of his wife's health.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UBminicre said:

But for me, being patient and picking the perfect time to make monumental moves is why I got to where I am today, not because I took shortsighted paydays that were presented to me many times in my career.

The other side of the patience thing that sometimes gets overlooked... to us Nate is a 4 year coach "early" in his career. To Oats, he has been patiently coaching and building his career for 22 years. If you look at it from his side, why would he wait?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UBminicre said:

I understand he made a considerable amount of money, but then he went to Liberty and now he is out of the sport. Perhaps he wanted to retire? Perhaps he wants to just make a boatload of money and put his feet up after cashing in, although I doubt that cause he went to Liberty! Either way, this is circumstantial and we hardly ever have all the details to determine what a person would do. But that is not my point. My point is that there are paths to success that do not revolve around jumping at the next big paycheck. Perhaps Turner Gill could have stayed at UB a little longer and ended up at Nebraska in 2014? Maybe he would have been successful and still been their coach to this day, totaling 20-30M? Or maybe he would have flamed out at UB staying a few years longer... Who knows. But for me, being patient and picking the perfect time to make monumental moves is why I got to where I am today, not because I took shortsighted paydays that were presented to me many times in my career.

Like you said, we don't know. You don't even know that YOU wouldn't be better off having taken some of those bigger 'shortsighted' paydays. such is life. But saying Gill was shortsighted and railroaded his career when he jumped to a $10M contract from $400k/yr... Well, we KNOW he set his family up for a long time, rather than waiting for a job that may never come. Not shortsighted, depending on your goals. 

And as everyone says, Oats seems like a family guy. A family guy with three kids, a wife in remission from cancer, who was making under $100k 5 yrs ago. Setting his family up with a big payday doesn't seem that shortsighted to me. Ymmv. 

On 3/9/2019 at 10:20 AM, UBminicre said:

Good thought process. All the opinions about Nate staying or leaving that put all the emphasis just on money I think does miss the mark to some degree. In today’s world there is so much emphasis put on how much you can make that it does not put what you stated. You can still make a decent living and live comfortable without going for the all mighty buck. There are many people in the sports landscape that take jobs that make a ton of money but if it does not work out are back to square one of starting over again. Nate is in a happy place right now and is successful and is making a very comfortable living. But again the majority of people just see the money as the be all and end all. In my own case I stayed in a job with a decent salary because of family, friends and area and still had a very good career and comfortable living. Again I am not being critical of anyone who wants to make as much money as possible. There are many more Turner Gills out there in the sports landscape than people want to admit to. Hope Mark Alnutt shows Nate how much he means to UB and WNY by giving him a salary bump and I think he will stay. Go Bulls!!!

On 3/9/2019 at 1:06 AM, UB85 said:

Ok. So no one took me up on my suggestion to find the Rome/Nate interview. Here it is my friends! 

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jim-rome-show/3-8-2019-nate-oats

well worth a listen. Enjoy!

Thanks for finding and putting it on here. It was a great listen and Nate really comes across as a no nonsense guy and is very honest about many topics and just a down to earth guy who does apppear that he wants to stay. Mark Alnutt has to show him the love by tearing the contract up and giving him a raise. Go Bulls!!!!!