Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Post-Oats Discussions

UB05

50 minutes ago, 113p said:

But if he got the team together and told them he was leaving, would they feel any less deceived?  Any time a coach leaves, he's leaving behind players.  There's no way to avoid that.  Every player thinks that their coach will be there for their entire stay.  Doesn't always work out that way.  Absolutely sucks for the players, especially because they're not free to move to another school without sitting out a year, but that's the harsh reality.  

I'm sure Oats told them that he was staying because he has no other option, but to say that.  Is he really going to tell them that he's thinking of leaving?  That would assuredly affect the play of the team.  

This is a cop out.

Yes, they would be upset when he told them he is leaving but it is much worse when he doesn't care enough to tell them.  He was too focused on Alabama to think about the players he was leaving behind.  He continued to say they were a family and a family doesn't duck out like that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

This is a cop out.

Yes, they would be upset when he told them he is leaving but it is much worse when he doesn't care enough to tell them.  He was too focused on Alabama to think about the players he was leaving behind.  He continued to say they were a family and a family doesn't duck out like that.

He was too busy eating Enchiladas with Alabama to address his team. 

43 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

I'm hoping for a bit more from someone still tied to the program. This all seems off. 

Yeah Im not making a lot of judgement til I see some more said by people.

I dont know what the right thing to do is.

Sure in a perfect world  Oats addresses team first, puts out a statement thanking UB for everything but he had to leave for his dream job. In a joint presser with our AD simultaneously says my good buddy Bryan Hodgeson is staying here to make sure this program is seemeless including keeping all the players.

These scenarios dont happen when coaches leave.

If Oats deflected any outside offers until we lost in Tulsa, then told his agent Monday its open season, then Tuesday Bama flew in to make an offer... I dont even have a problem with this... Other than again maybe somehow gathering the team together on short notice. I dont know honestly.

4 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Yeah Im not making a lot of judgement til I see some more said by people.

I dont know what the right thing to do is.

Sure in a perfect world  Oats addresses team first, puts out a statement thanking UB for everything but he had to leave for his dream job. In a joint presser with our AD simultaneously says my good buddy Bryan Hodgeson is staying here to make sure this program is seemeless including keeping all the players.

These scenarios dont happen when coaches leave.

If Oats deflected any outside offers until we lost in Tulsa, then told his agent Monday its open season, then Tuesday Bama flew in to make an offer... I dont even have a problem with this... Other than again maybe somehow gathering the team together on short notice. I dont know honestly.

There is also a huge difference from Oats not talking to Jordan then there is to him not talking to CJ.

If he left before not talking to all the seniors, no love lost. This was still handled poorly. IMO

2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

All I know is that Andre Allen issued more of a statement than Oats so I'm no longer interested in our former coach.

This. Allen thanked the team and the community having never even played for us! Meanwhile the ex coach disappears after a department meeting via private jet never to be heard from again. 

27 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Is someone calling compliance? Or are we saving that for tweets of encouragement to Hawkins? 

I only report when I see evidence of something that may be a violation.  Someone babbling on the internet on something they have no idea is or is not happening is not evidence.

I personally never want to see UB be sanctioned again by the NCAA.  It has already had two separate violations found by the NCAA resulting sanctions in basketball.  The last one resulted in consideration of the "death penalty"  If you do not care about UB getting sanctioned again, fine.  I do care!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

How many times have you actually reported?

Since 2006 when I saw the first violations on this site for trying to sell T-Shirts with basketball players faces on them, probably about 15-20.

That has included players, former players and staff people as well as posters.

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

The crazy world of college underworld coaching!!! I think Hodgson would not be unemployed long. He could always take a job like Alex Wood did with Hurley as his personal assistant!!!!!This whole episode stinks to high heaven. Pro sports and now college sports stink to high heaven!!!!!

One more thing: I am mad as hell and I can’t take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Since 2006 when I saw the first violations on this site for trying to sell T-Shirts with basketball players faces on them, probably about 15-20.

That has included players, former players and staff people as well as posters.

Oh, the irony. Cracking the whip for trying to sell T-shirts. On the other hand we have coaches and staff making small fortunes. One reason why I detest the NCAA. However, I agree that no one wants to cross them. Because they have the power to crush you.

RANDOM THOUGHTS... Oats is busy trying to hold the 'Bama recruits and the PG asking for a transfer. UB needs to develop some consistency. In a 1 bid conference, very difficult. Irony, how many Alabama players currently on the squad were hyped by Reggie? I'm sure he recruited a few. UB can't survive in a power conference. What happened vs TT would be every game. Hero ball doesn't work. Maybe the A-10 will open up. Alumni arena has limitations and the top conferences have major TV contracts requiring viewers. Buffalo is still a small market. I remember Coach Jim from Horizon League Loyola days. He ate Butler's lunch in a Valentine's Day game though Coach Stevens normally prevailed. UB got Hurley because of DW. If UB can't groom from within, it can reach out to assistant coaches with ties to the school i.e.:TB, up and coming D2 coaches i.e.: McDonald, and even semi-retired proven coaches who want 2-3 years, i.e.: Matta, Licklitter.

5 minutes ago, rma said:

Durey followed a few Alabama accounts on Twitter.

I’m sorry but there’s no way Durey goes to Alabama. He wasn’t good enough to be recruited by any SEC team he suddenly thinks Nate is gonna bring him along. That’s not how this works. Alabama fancies themselves bigger than what they actually are and therefore they won’t settle in recruiting.

Edited by DooleyBull06

43 minutes ago, Nonickname said:

I knew nothing of Campbell before you guys mentioned him. Looking into him I'm feeling pretty meh. That hire would signal were content to go back what we were under Witherspoon. I can't see this guy + a combination of UB's facilities and offerings = any kind of upward trending. 

Unrelated to the thread: Anyone feel better about UB losing to TT seeing what they are doing to Michigan right now? 

A loss is a loss. Who don’t get any points for a loss at this time of the year.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Friend is a teacher at school where oats’ older daughter goes. Said she must’ve gotten a text from parents about dad signing with Alabama and went to the bathroom and cried and threw up during his class yesterday.. Feel really bad for the kids having to move so far away after they really seemed to like it here. 

Absolutely brutal. 

But hey, 2.4m 

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Absolutely brutal. 

But hey, 2.4m 

It can be tough on kids.but kids are resilient. They still do not know or have experienced how unfair the world can be. Our family have been through family struggles and having family in Vietnam and have struggled to make ends meet but we have made  it without millions of dollars. We have experienced sports at it’s most enjoyable and sadly sports culture in today’s world has lost it’s innocence and luster for many of us.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John said:

It can be tough on kids.but kids are resilient. They still do not know or have experienced how unfair the world can be. Our family have been through family struggles and having family in Vietnam and have struggled to make ends meet but we have made  it without millions of dollars. We have experienced sports at it’s most enjoyable and sadly sports culture in today’s world has lost it’s innocence and luster for many of us.

Naw, kids can be pretty fragile, especially when you keep yanking them around the country because Daddy wants more money. And grown ups make up these excuses to make themselves feel better about wrecking their kids lives. Like I said, hope it's all worth it, Nate.

Edited by promotherobot