Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs St. Bonaventure 12/4 - 4pm

18 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Watching Coppin St hang with Bona. Canisius played the Bonnies tough, and the Griffs are disastrous. I think the Bulls will win Saturday unless they rely on shooting beyond the arc.

They’re a tough team to read.

They smoked Marquette, beat Clemson and Boise, but have played their worst games against some of the worst teams in Division 1.

No idea what to think

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Watching Coppin St hang with Bona. Canisius played the Bonnies tough, and the Griffs are disastrous. I think the Bulls will win Saturday unless they rely on shooting beyond the arc.

A couple of points suggesting 3s may be needed:

The Bulls have shot well from 3 - 37.2% for the season (over 40% since game with Michigan).  Second, the Bonnies defense is #15 in country against the 2PT shot - allowing only 41.1% for opponents.  This suggests that it will be hard to score from 2; as an example Boise St was 5-13 at the rim and 5-19 from mid range 2s.  St. Bonaventure is only average against the 3.   Finally there appears to be an opportunity on offensive boards if shots are not falling - which UB has improved in past three games, and again .  Second chance opportunities could help with 2 point efficiency.

Of course, have to react to what is working in game and adjust.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Coppin St is 1-9. They are playing the Bonnies tough. UB has an excellent chance of coming away with a win. There haven’t been many, but this year should see the Bulls get one.

Buffalo seems to be a good matchup for the Bonnies.

Mballa seemed to outclass OO the last time they played, and I expect that again Saturday. Oddly enough, I think their backup big is a better matchup with JM.

Lofton V. Segu should go the BONNIES way IMO, so it’ll come down to if they can contain Williams.

I assume Welch or Adaway will be on JW. If SBU can hold Jeenathan to ~15, I think the Bonnies will win. If not, I’ll go with UB.

5 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

I was just coming to say that.  Looked like he rolled it pretty good, but hopefully nothing serious.  He was able to hobble off with assistance, but no weight on the ankle.

Every time I watch basketball I think of the injuries. Such a violent game on your joints.

Hope he’s ok, but doubt he’s at full strength for Saturday.

HATE seeing these young guys get hurt, however minor.

9 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

So there were a few of us watching that game!  

I don’t see Lofton playing against us.  He looked to be hurt.  Few weeks would be my guess.  

Not good, I want their full team to play us. I don’t want an easy win. I hope it’s nothing serious and he gets back to playing soon.

9 minutes ago, RocChiTown said:

Every time I watch basketball I think of the injuries. Such a violent game on your joints.

Hope he’s ok, but doubt he’s at full strength for Saturday.

HATE seeing these young guys get hurt, however minor.

Hopefully there's no structural damage.  UB, UConn, and Virginia Tech in the next 16 days, all major contests for at-large bid/seeding.  Gotta think he toughs it out unless there's something major wrong.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:18 PM, MKBullsfan said:

Didn’t you lose at home to Northern Iowa Community Tech College? Also, A10 is for private schools. UB is a public state school which can afford Football and other sports at the same time. Also, bummer you dropped out of the top 25 after waiting 50 years to be ranked but it’s a long season. All the best to you and the folks in little Olean.

I would never try to argue with someone so knowledgable about A-10 membership.  I will however try to give you some perspective on the differences between membership in the MAC as opposed to the A-10.  

This is your biggest game of the year.  We are without a doubt the best team remaining on your schedule. If you win you will be able to slap yourselves on the back and say well  we beat Bona.That being said, your only important games remaining are the games in Cleveland.  Win the MAC tournament and you will go to the NCAAs, don"t win that and you have no chance at an at large bid.  You will have no resume for an at large bid.  If we win it is a good win you guys are a good program. If we lose we will still have chances to beat teams such as Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, and Richmond {the last three we will play twice}.  We will even get to play such small private schools like UMASS, George Mason, and Rhode Island. Under Schmidt we have competed quite well in the A10. SBU has the second most wins in the Atlantic 10 in the last 8 years.  UB is a good program and it benefits us to play you home and home. Who do you ever get to play you at home that compares to Bona?  We are always the best team that you have in Buffalo when we play at UB.  If you want to advance your basketball program leaving the MAC would be a good idea. 

Side note: I have been to a couple of UB football games are your students aware that you have a "program"?  

25 minutes ago, Buffalobonnie said:

I would never try to argue with someone so knowledgable about A-10 membership.  I will however try to give you some perspective on the differences between membership in the MAC as opposed to the A-10.  

This is your biggest game of the year.  We are without a doubt the best team remaining on your schedule. If you win you will be able to slap yourselves on the back and say well  we beat Bona.That being said, your only important games remaining are the games in Cleveland.  Win the MAC tournament and you will go to the NCAAs, don"t win that and you have no chance at an at large bid.  You will have no resume for an at large bid.  If we win it is a good win you guys are a good program. If we lose we will still have chances to beat teams such as Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, and Richmond {the last three we will play twice}.  We will even get to play such small private schools like UMASS, George Mason, and Rhode Island. Under Schmidt we have competed quite well in the A10. SBU has the second most wins in the Atlantic 10 in the last 8 years.  UB is a good program and it benefits us to play you home and home. Who do you ever get to play you at home that compares to Bona?  We are always the best team that you have in Buffalo when we play at UB.  If you want to advance your basketball program leaving the MAC would be a good idea. 

Side note: I have been to a couple of UB football games are your students aware that you have a "program"?  

It was the biggest game of the year until Lofton got hurt. And if we win it’s not going to feel as good. And your fan base will let us hear about it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buffalobonnie said:

What do you gain by posting something like this?

You make Bona fans look bad and insecure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buffalobonnie said:

That being said, your only important games remaining are the games in Cleveland.  Win the MAC tournament and you will go to the NCAAs, don"t win that and you have no chance at an at large bid.  You will have no resume for an at large bid.  If we win it is a good win you guys are a good program. If we lose we will still have chances to beat teams such as Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, and Richmond {the last three we will play twice}. 

I get it. You're saying that the A10 is superior to the MAC because you get far more opportunities to build a resume for the NCAA tourney. Makes sense. What I don't understand is why SBU has only made the tourney the same number of times (4x) this century as UB when they have such a distinct advantage.

Edited by clodney
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, clodney said:

I get it. You're saying that the A10 is superior to the MAC because you get far more opportunities to build a resume for the NCAA tourney. Makes sense. What I don't understand is why SBU has only made the tourney the same number of times (4x) this century as UB when they have such a distinct advantage.

It's harder to make the NCAAs being in a better conference.  The MAC being tougher has hindered our number of bids compared to others.  You could make the same statements

Vermont has more bids (7) this century.   We would have a lot more success in the AEC.

Iona has more bid (9) this century.  We would dominate the MAAC.

With that said, we would absolutely have more big wins if we could get good teams to come to Alumni Arena.  We would probably compete for more NIT bids but we wouldn't have as many NCAA bids in the A10.  We weren't that great in 2016 when we won the MAC tournament.  

7 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

They are bad and insecure. You would think they would have won NCAA tourney games in the last 50 years by the way they act. They’ve always been irrelevant.

Bona has been relevant because of being in the A-10 and finally getting some recognition because of winning. Same can be said about UB because of the national stage since winning under Hurley and Oats. The question is can both UB and Bona continue especially after this year where both teams are losing their top core players. Do think with Bona all the acolades they received can cause players to not being mentally into games. On paper with five senior players and the success they had last year they should roll over many teams but that is why you play thee games. Hope to see an exciting, competitive game with UB coming out on top. Go Bulls!!!

38 minutes ago, John said:

The question is can both UB and Bona continue especially after this year where both teams are losing their top core players.

The good news is that with both of us rebuilding next year we should keep the rivalry competitive.  It would really help us to continue to have a win against an A10 team and to get that rivalry going.

5 hours ago, Buffalobonnie said:

So when did UMass and Rhode Island go private?