Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

13 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Guaranteed the feeling isn’t mutual. ADMA really messed up that buyout. Should have set us up to hire a $1 million coach. 

To be fair, Oats signed that extension fully aware that he was likely leaving in the near future. He was doing the athletic department a favor with the buyout but UB chose to promote a cheaper internal candidate rather than spend big money on an up and coming outsider.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

To be fair, Oats signed that extension fully aware that he was likely leaving in the near future. He was doing the athletic department a favor with the buyout but UB chose to promote a cheaper internal candidate rather than spend big money on an up and coming outsider.

Understand that, but that buyout could have been bigger and they also should have spent on a better candidate. We were in a position to actually start at a plateau point and then advance forward. JW offered some stability and likely preservation of the roster, but it basically caused us to stay at that plateau without moving up. I also am not talking about BH, I am talking about a competent HC with a winning history where UB would have been a step up and then he could have advanced to that next level.

It didn't happen, so here we are.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Understand that, but that buyout could have been bigger and they also should have spent on a better candidate. We were in a position to actually start at a plateau point and then advance forward. JW offered some stability and likely preservation of the roster, but it basically caused us to stay at that plateau without moving up. I also am not talking about BH, I am talking about a competent HC with a winning history where UB would have been a step up and then he could have advanced to that next level.

It didn't happen, so here we are.

Yea, you're absolutely right. I'm not sure Oats would've signed an extension with a much larger buyout though when that could've been a deterrent from other schools pursuing him.

The buyout money definitely should've been used for going after a bigger coaching candidate though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

UB should have paid Nate Oats period to stay with all the success UB Bulls basketball had we could have been the Gonzaga of the MAC. The heck with the $7 million dollar UB performance center that could have come later when the NCAA Tournament units were coming in yearly. Pass the hat and keep Nate Oats at UB is what should have happened and didn’t. Nate Oats wanted to stay in Western New York close to his home town of Michigan. Give Nate Oats a $7 million dollar contract he would have stayed. The Nate Oats situation was different from Bobby Hurley and Lance Leipold that had no intentions of staying in Western New York. Nate Oats really liked Buffalo and UB chose cheap which is why UB Bulls athletics will never be great or mirror anything like St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball with Mark Schmidt.

UB Bulls fans valued Nate Oats UB heavy donors and UB the school itself not so much which is really sad. The UB Bulls basketball team is like watching the Buffalo Sabres today they don’t value greatness either everything comes down to a buck. UB donors don’t understand Buffalo fans has to put up with that crap with the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres the Buffalo fans doesn’t want to give there heart to another Buffalo sports team with the same mindset that is a big part of the reason Buffalo fans stay away from UB Bulls football and basketball games not the only reason but it’s a reason. UB Bulls basketball had a real chance at greatness under Nate Oats and the UB donors and UB the school couldn’t get past doing everything on the cheap with UB athletics coaches salaries. I am the point I don’t even care anymore extend George Halcovage III with another 5 year contract because he will sign cheap. It is just not going to ever happen at UB with UB Athletics because the donors aren’t going all in. You need to spend money to grow the college sports program at UB. UB unfortunately isn’t willing to do that. UB loss is Alabama’s gain. Good luck Coach Nate Oats wish you were still at UB and UB athletics wasn’t so Mickey Mouse in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

2 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

UB should have paid Nate Oats period to stay with all the success UB Bulls basketball had we could have been the Gonzaga of the MAC. The heck with the $7 million dollar UB performance center that could have come later when the NCAA Tournament units were coming in yearly. Pass the hat and keep Nate Oats at UB is what should have happened and didn’t. Nate Oats wanted to stay in Western New York close to his home town of Michigan. Give Nate Oats a $7 million dollar contract he would have stayed. The Nate Oats situation was different from Bobby Hurley and Lance Leipold that had no intentions of staying in Western New York. Nate Oats really liked Buffalo and UB chose cheap which is why UB Bulls athletics will never be great or mirror anything like St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball with Mark Schmidt.

UB Bulls fans valued Nate Oats UB heavy donors and UB the school itself not so much which is really sad. The UB Bulls basketball team is like watching the Buffalo Sabres today they don’t value greatness either everything comes down to a buck. UB donors don’t understand Buffalo fans has to put up with that crap with the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres the Buffalo fans doesn’t want to give there heart to another Buffalo sports team with the same mindset that is a big part of the reason Buffalo fans stay away from UB Bulls football and basketball games not the only reason but it’s a reason. UB Bulls basketball had a real chance at greatness under Nate Oats and the UB donors and UB the school couldn’t get past doing everything on the cheap with UB athletics coaches salaries. I am the point I don’t even care anymore extend George Halcovage III with another 5 year contract because he will sign cheap. It is just not going to ever happen at UB with UB Athletics because the donors aren’t going all in. You need to spend money to grow the college sports program at UB. UB unfortunately isn’t willing to do that. UB loss is Alabama’s gain. Good luck Coach Nate Oats wish you were still at UB and UB athletics wasn’t so Mickey Mouse in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Oats was never staying here long term. He was among the hottest coaching commodities in the country when he left. Now he's solidified himself as a top 10 coach (and still rising). We're lucky to have had him here for as long as we did.

Alnutt's failure to build on the success of Hurley then Oats with his next hire has always been the story, but that's been discussed ad nauseum (as it all has).

8 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Pass the hat and keep Nate Oats at UB is what should have happened and didn’t. Nate Oats wanted to stay in Western New York close to his home town of Michigan. Give Nate Oats a $7 million dollar contract he would have stayed.

That is a $7,000,000.00 per year average.  There are bot enough hats in Western New York to have raised that type of money.  Also Oats is from Wisconsin.

the donors aren’t going all in.

Speak for yourself.  Some of us give as much as we can, if not a little more than we should.

Lance Leipold that had no intentions of staying in Western New York

I disagree.

There are haves and have nots in college athletics.  When a have drives a Brinks truck up your driveway you are going to accept the offer.  If someone offered Schmidt to quadruple his salary, it would be bye bye Bonnies.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

That is a $7,000,000.00 per year average.  There are bot enough hats in Western New York to have raised that type of money.  Also Oats is from Wisconsin.

There are haves and have nots in college athletics.  When a have drives a Brinks truck up your driveway you are going to accept the offer.  If someone offered Schmidt to quadruple his salary, it would be bye bye Bonnies.

100% agree. There was no way we would of ever of beaten the offer from Alabama or any other. Those schools can always say more. UB can't, there is a point were the money just isn't there. 

We also don't know what really happened behind closed doors with Oats. He did sign a buyout within hours of accepting another job. Maybe is was part of the negotiation on his part and 'bama said the highest we will go on a buyout is X?

8 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Speak for yourself.  Some of us give as much as we can, if not a little more than we should.

I disagree.

The sad reality.

18 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

UB should have paid Nate Oats period to stay with all the success UB Bulls basketball had we could have been the Gonzaga of the MAC. 

We did pay him!  He was given a contract extension and a pay raise that was not funded.  We had to fundraise for his raise because it was more than the athletic department could afford.

The heck with the $7 million dollar UB performance center that could have come later when the NCAA Tournament units were coming in yearly. 

The Units aren't paid to UB.  They are paid to the MAC and distributed to all of the schools in the MAC and used to fund the MAC Championships.

Also, the number one complaint from Oats was the lack of facilities.  His salary wouldn't have been enough to keep him without facility upgrades.  And since facilities aren't consumed annually like salaries are, the facilities are a necessary long term investment.  The facilities serve the coaches who will be coaching today as well as five and 10 years from now.

Pass the hat and keep Nate Oats at UB is what should have happened and didn’t.

That is what happened.  

That is how he got the raise and extension right before he left for Tuscaloosa.  How much did you contribute to the fund?

Nate Oats wanted to stay in Western New York close to his home town of Michigan.

No, he didn't.  He made it his home for a moment in time.  But he wasn't staying long term.  Buffalo isn't close to home. 

Give Nate Oats a $7 million dollar contract he would have stayed.

Yes, you're right.  It is a real head scratcher... Why didn't UB make Oats the 3rd highest paid basketball coach in the country in 2019?  They should have just picked some notes from the money tree.

The Nate Oats situation was different from Bobby Hurley and Lance Leipold that had no intentions of staying in Western New York.

No, it isn't.  Everyone talks the talk while they are in the position.  And then when something better comes along they are gone.

Nate Oats really liked Buffalo and UB chose cheap which is why UB Bulls athletics will never be great or mirror anything like St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball with Mark Schmidt.

Ah... I get it.  This is a troll.  You're really a Bonnies fan.

UB Bulls fans valued Nate Oats UB heavy donors and UB the school itself not so much which is really sad. 

Valued him with everything but their pocket book.  But of course, you expect others to fund the program for you to enjoy.

• Like 1

Alabama +11.5 vs UCONN tonight.

Will be interesting to see how much they play up Nate’s connection to the Hurley Bros.  It would be cool to re-live some of his moments at UB as they tell the tale of Nate’s rise from HS math teacher to the Final 4 in the span of a decade.  Storybook stuff! 

Big test for him and the Tide, would be a huge upset if they could pull it off. 

Edited by Bluebird96

1 hour ago, Bluebird96 said:

Will be interesting to see how much they play up Nate’s connection to the Hurley Bros.  It would be cool to re-live some of his moments at UB as they tell the tale of Nate’s rise from HS math teacher to the Final 4 in the span of a decade.  Storybook stuff! 

I actually think this spread is too high and Vegas is trying to trick people by capitalizing off of UCONN’s dominance. The 3 ball is a neutralizer and we know Bama can shoot it. I may be wrong but I don’t think Bama gets blown out in this one.

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I actually think this spread is too high and Vegas is trying to trick people by capitalizing off of UCONN’s dominance. The 3 ball is a neutralizer and we know Bama can shoot it. I may be wrong but I don’t think Bama gets blown out in this one.

I was just coming to post the opposite lol. Don't think Bama has anywhere near the structure or talent to keep up with the machine that is UConn. They'll need to shoot out of their minds to keep it close. No idea how they plan to deal with Clingan either. 15+ point win.

9 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I was just coming to post the opposite lol. Don't think Bama has anywhere near the structure or talent to keep up with the machine that is UConn. They'll need to shoot out of their minds to keep it close. No idea how they plan to deal with Clingan either. 15+ point win.

Deal with Clingan by doing what we did to Ayton when Oats was here. They will likely make Clingan defend in space. Maybe he gets lazy and commits an early foul or two. I’m sure Oats has a plan. Just a matter of execution. But to me spread wise with the way they shoot 3s, I don’t see the blowout. 

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m sure Oats has a plan. Just a matter of execution. But to me spread wise with the way they shoot 3s, I don’t see the blowout. 

On ESPN pre game show they were saying Bama needs to make at least 16 three’s to have a chance.  I think they’ll have trouble if they shoot 30% or less, unless they put up like 60 and make 18 of them 😂

It’ll be tough to match the drama and excitement of the Iowa-UCONN women’s game last night.  Just hoping for a good competitive game.  And to hear UB mentioned at least once 🤘

35 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

On ESPN pre game show they were saying Bama needs to make at least 16 three’s to have a chance.  I think they’ll have trouble if they shoot 30% or less, unless they put up like 60 and make 18 of them 😂

It’ll be tough to match the drama and excitement of the Iowa-UCONN women’s game last night.  Just hoping for a good competitive game.  And to hear UB mentioned at least once 🤘

I’ll take the over on UB mentions. At least 2 I say

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Free recruitment advertising for UB

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 7:17 AM, BrooklynBull said:

I disagree.

How do you figure that Lance Leipold’s wife was from the Midwest and wanted to get back closer to home. 

Nate Oats didn’t get $7 million a year his first season with Alabama. Second if UB wants to be a big boy school they need a heck of a lot more money than what UB currently offers coaches. UB football got lucky Pete Lembo took $720,000 a season he showed mercy on UB. Pete Lembo with his coaching experience is worth $1 million plus. UB doesn’t understand value they overpay fools like Mark Altnutt, Maurice Linquist and George Halcovage III. Then when they have someone they blink and basically sell the coach. That is telling like it is about UB athletics.

St Bonaventure Bonnies Mark Schmidt isn’t going anywhere at $1.8 million a season. Keep telling yourself that UB is on the right path low balling head coaches? For a state flagship school UB is very cheap when UB can’t afford a real basketball coach. I think UB basketball is losing 20 plus games again with George Halcovage III next season regardless who he brings in because he can’t coach. Again I hope I am wrong in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

6 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

How do you figure that Lance Leipold’s wife was from the Midwest and wanted to get back closer to home. 

Nate Oats didn’t get $7 million a year his first season with Alabama. Second if UB wants to be a big boy school they need a heck of a lot more money than what UB currently offers coaches. UB football got lucky Pete Lembo took $720,000 a season he showed mercy on UB. Pete Lembo with his coaching experience is worth $1 million plus. UB doesn’t understand value they overpay fools like Mark Altnutt, Maurice Linquist and George Halcovage III. Then when they have someone they blink and basically sell the coach. That is telling like it is about UB athletics.

St Bonaventure Bonnies Mark Schmidt isn’t going anywhere at $1.8 million a season. Keep telling yourself that UB is on the right path low balling head coaches? For a state flagship school UB is very cheap when UB can’t afford a real basketball coach. I think UB basketball is losing 20 plus games again with George Halcovage III next season regardless who he brings in because he can’t coach. Again I hope I am wrong in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

It's actually mind boggling to me that mid major schools when they find a top coach at the mid major level they don't shell the money to keep them

The money is usually not that crazy in basketball and the way teams get rewarded with money/units from making a tournament appearance the contract will pay for itself

Alabama made it very interesting for about 36:00.  Shot out of their minds from 3 in the first half but only made 3 after half to finish just under 50% at 11/23.  A testament to UCONN’s D that they didn’t get off a lot more than that, and also had ZERO fast break points.  But what a game for Sears, I sure don’t miss watching him terrorize UB with all his impossible shots.

Edited by Bluebird96

Pretty valiant effort by Oats and his guys against a juggernaut. 

Thought it was a fun watch especially compared to the Purdue game. Still it felt like Alabama was on the ropes even when the score was close because UConn might just be inevitable. It's the most dominant CBB two years in a very long time if they finish it off Monday, which I think they will easily. If Clingan cancels out Edey, UConn is 100% superior. And I hate UConn and hate to say it 😂

Not a news flash to the True Believers™, but Oats' system is going to be very hard to beat if he ever gets truly elite deep shooters and rim protectors/runners. Sears is awesome but Alabama was outmanned in the end. This isn't a top two roster he's had there imo. He's going to hit it big on one of these recruiting cycle and win a title in the next five years. I'd want to play in that scheme if I was an elite-at shooting guard or PF. 

Edited by MuchMany
  • Like 1