Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB -2 @ BGSU

UB92

Our Bulls opened on Sunday afternoon as about a 2 point dog, but the line quickly moved making UB the favorite by Monday morning.  Currently, UB sits as a 2-point road favorite.

Bowling Green ruined the Zips Homecoming last weekend, winning 31 - 28.  Akron is a crappy team, but they are less crappier than they have been, so going on the road to Akron isn't as easy as it has been.  BGSU was a 9 point favorite and benefitted from 3 Zips turnovers (including a muffed punt at their own 5).

Akron moved the ball on BGSU, as have many teams this year on the BGSU defense.  Marshall racked up about 550 yards against BGSU on the road...and lost in OT.  That's what happens when you turn the ball over 3x.   The Falcons lost at home to EKU in 7 OT in the second game of the season, but were only 7.5 point favorites.

On offense, Matt McDonald has been strong this year.  The senior, who started his career at Boston College, was banged up for the Miss. St. loss and didn't play, but returned for the Akron game.  He has a 13:1 TD:Int ratio, and has only been sacked 5 times this season.   For BGSU, he is the key to the game.

Overall, UB bobbed and weaved their way to a victory last week, making a big play at the end of the game (aided by the offsides).  With an experienced QB in McDonald, UB's defensive backs will be tested.  BGSU uses a variety of RBs on offense, though running the ball isn't a team strength.   If UB can stop the run game, it will make it easier for them to get pressure and keep more of the LBs in coverage.

It is a MAC game in October at Noon, so it is reasonable to expect a back-and-forth tussle.  The sharps have the o/u at 54.5, but that seems low to me.  I would expect something closer to 60.  It should be another close game.  Winning on the road is always a challenge.

Go Bulls!

• Like 1

Its early yet....I know.....but starting to look at MAC East aspirations....this game against BGSU isnt one than they can just let slip away  (Nor the UMASS game as far as overall record goes for Bowl Games) but for at least the division, the schedule after these two games dont do UB any favors.  Home against Toledo....then @Ohio (who get an extra (almost unfair) benefit win% wise from Mid Week MACtion Home Games because of where Athens, OH is) ..... then followed by another road trip @Central Michigan.  Thats a tough stretch to get through unscathed division standings wise.  2-0 (3-0 division record) going into Toledo would be ideal.

Edited by BRJACR75

Wonder if there will be extra motivation this week to avenge last year’s embarrassing loss at home to what was a very beatable BG team? I can still see that fake kneel-down, long TD run by their QB McDonald at the end. Long plays and turnovers killed us in that game and seemed to be the turning point in the season as the first of 4 straight L’s to end it. Let’s hope for better results this time. Go Bulls! 

10 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Not as much as in previous years; Mo explains another impact of the portal in his pre game press conference. 

Interesting what Mo said how coaches look at everything with their opponent going back to past seasons, but only giving the players the information they need to know. So I get the sense he and his staff haven’t forgotten about last year but aren’t dwelling on it, and keeping players focused on just getting better as the season goes on.

Also loved what he said toward the end about all the UB alums playing around the NFL and the school’s connections with the Bills, and how he uses that in recruiting along with talking up all the great things about the university and Buffalo community. I believe he has this team going in the right direction, will be fun to see how the rest of the season unfolds.

Edited by Bluebird96
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Also loved what he said toward the end about all the UB alums playing around the NFL and the school’s connections with the Bills, and how he uses that in recruiting along with talking up all the great things about the university and Buffalo community. I believe he has this team going in the right direction, will be fun to see how the rest of the season unfolds.

My boldface.

This is a good point and, I think, often overlooked.

There are a lot of paths to success.  How do you best use the tools you (and your staff) have to be successful (and I am counting success as, ultimately, wins and losses).  I think a good example was LL.  His teams seemingly game planned well during the week at UB, but made little/no successful second half adjustments.  Perhaps that wasn't a collective strength of the staff, but they were successful anyway because of the players they recruited, how they coached them up in the off-season and during the week, how they game planned, etc.  

At this point, there are certainly (obvious) things that our current coach (and his staff) need to improve on, but I am glad that he is attempting to leverage the school's connection to the NFL (and to the NFL team in Buffalo).  I hope he has tremendous success with this and it leads to continued strong recruiting classes.  Recall that, at least on one site, UB had the second best recruiting class this past year.  https://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/college-football/recruiting/mac/    By way of comparison, we were last in 2020 from this same site.

3 hours ago, skrabukes said:

BG just looks absolutely pitiful, as if they don't even want to be there.

Maybe Scott Loeffler needs a few more colQ

ors in that sharpie necklace he wears.

UB has been screwing up a lot and we are still rolling the Falcons. It's an embarrassment. Should be 50-0.

Edited by promotherobot

Those announcers were bad.  Not Josh Cribbs bad, but they could see him from where they are.  

This was just one of those days for the Bulls.  Be happy when it happens. 

While it is always tough to win on the road in conference, it helps when the other team makes a billion mistakes and tacks on 100+ penalty yards.  

10 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Those announcers were bad.  Not Josh Cribbs bad, but they could see him from where they are.  

This was just one of those days for the Bulls.  Be happy when it happens. 

While it is always tough to win on the road in conference, it helps when the other team makes a billion mistakes and tacks on 100+ penalty yards.  

No letup against UMASS, need to smack them in the mouth.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:26 AM, Bluebird96 said:

Wonder if there will be extra motivation this week to avenge last year’s embarrassing loss at home…

Well, I guess 38-7 on BG’s turf will pass for vengeance 😂

Mistakes or not on the part of BG, I’ll bet it felt good for Patterson and the D to shut them down after yielding those 56 pts last season including the bush league fake kneel down at the end.

Keep the Mo-mentum rolling next week @ UMass. Go Bulls! 🤘

• Like 3

Great win by the UB Bulls yesterday it was a great Buffalo football weekend with the UB Bulls and Buffalo Bills winning big. I want to also say I was wrong with this UB Bulls football team and Maurice Linquist is finally turning things around. I am shocked that UB went 0-3 to 3-3 no way did I see that at 0-3. But like I have said for 48 years as a Buffalo sports fan you don’t have to lose if you don’t want to. Teams always control there own destiny not the fans, media, owners or even the coaches. The players control there own destiny. Again you don’t have to lose. BSF what about Buffalo Bills for 17 years or the Buffalo Sabres for 11 years or the Seattle Mariners ending there playoff drought at 20 years. Again you don’t have to lose if you don’t want. There zero excuse for losing for decades. What about rebuilding BSF? Another made up by the teams to explain away losing to explain away being a loser. What about tanking another made up by the teams to explain away losing.

BSF you feel the sports fan should have zero tolerance with losing? Yes zero tolerance you either win happy, happy, joy, joy. Our you lose why is team doing this to me as a fan. There is no door number three. What about analytics BSF another phony made up thing by computer nerds to have employment with sports teams which good for the computer nerds but BSF is old school I don’t need a computer to think for me I see it with my own two eyes. Again I don’t care that Ben hits .365 on Monday’s in the day and only .240 on Tuesday at night. But but nothing Ben should get going he should be hitting .400 and be a lot more consistent. If Ben doesn’t hit consistently maybe a trip to the minors might wake Ben up. BSF aren’t you being hard on Ben? No BSF didn’t grow up in participation trophy sports where everyone gets a gold trophy finishing in 10th place. I showed up what? Now I get a 10th trophy my team for showing up. What? If you are under 40 years old you have no idea what I am talking about. Winning matters and BSF will never change that way. At the end of the day you either win or you lose. Happy, happy, joy, joy UB Bulls football fans we need 3 more wins for a bowl game that is all I care about playing somewhere for the holidays it is for UB Bulls football own good. Excusing away losing isn’t for UB Bulls football best interest in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up