Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Tulane - Holiday Hoopsgiving

clodney

33 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

That was a step back. Need to review tape, cleanup and then move forward.

This is what we’re going to see all season. Some clunkers mixed in with some solid games and hopefully more W’s than L’s when it comes time for MAC play. Up and down, good and bad, that’s what is to be expected from a team with so many new parts.

Some positives to take away from today are the 49 rebounds and 21/28 FT’s (75%). I was surprised to see only 16 attempts from 3 being down so big, but we aren’t a strong 3-Pt shooting team so I’d rather see a reasonable number of shots than chucking it up 30-40 times a game and hoping to hit a few. We can get away with that vs SJFU but not a solid D1 team. 

Edited by Bluebird96

4 hours ago, Erie County said:

Yeeehaw super funny, haven't heard that one before. I think I used look or I mean one time where you say i'm other people. I've met people on here. But thats right, we are all someone undercover. Including like a few coaches/staff on here.

I'm batman

I always assume you were Bryan Hodgson

Maybe redshirting Chatman so he can replace Harnett next year.

Mading looked like he will contribute little this year in the early games.  Good skills, but very weak.

For as big as the roster is, this team is not a strong rebounding team and a turnover machine.

Jones will need to score if they have any chance of winning the MAC.  No one else on the team can be counted on to score consistently night after night. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

Maybe redshirting Chatman so he can replace Harnett next year.

Mading looked like he will contribute little this year in the early games.  Good skills, but very weak.

For as big as the roster is, this team is not a strong rebounding team and a turnover machine.

Jones will need to score if they have any chance of winning the MAC.  No one else on the team can be counted on to score consistently night after night. 

I guess time will tell whether Chatman redshirts, but I thought Whetzel implied he may play.  Also this comment suggested he would play this year.   I think It was contingent on him retaining eligibility for next season.

Edited by DocCas86

On 12/10/2022 at 1:56 PM, Bluebird96 said:

This is what we’re going to see all season. Some clunkers mixed in with some solid games and hopefully more W’s than L’s when it comes time for MAC play. Up and down, good and bad, that’s what is to be expected from a team with so many new parts.

Some positives to take away from today are the 49 rebounds and 21/28 FT’s (75%). I was surprised to see only 16 attempts from 3 being down so big, but we aren’t a strong 3-Pt shooting team so I’d rather see a reasonable number of shots than chucking it up 30-40 times a game and hoping to hit a few. We can get away with that vs SJFU but not a solid D1 team. 

This is my general takeaway as well. It's going to be a roller coaster type season. In the end, I hope there's more highs than lows and that they get hot heading into Cleveland. Much different mentality than past years for me personally.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

This is my general takeaway as well. It's going to be a roller coaster type season. In the end, I hope there's more highs than lows and that they get hot heading into Cleveland. Much different mentality than past years for me personally.

One of the positives, our current starting 5 has only 1 senior, Foster. If we can get Cesar to embrace the distribution part of the PG position and slide him into that, Chatman takes over for Hardnett, Jack gets some  seasoning and Madding, Williamson and Blocker take a step forward, that could be a solid season for 23-24.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

One of the positives, our current starting 5 has only 1 senior, Foster. If we can get Cesar to embrace the distribution part of the PG position and slide him into that, Chatman takes over for Hardnett, Jack gets some  seasoning and Madding, Williamson and Blocker take a step forward, that could be a solid season for 23-24.

One could dream. That’s the traditional way of building a mid major. But as we have seen…the bright lights of the portal come calling.

22 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

One could dream. That’s the traditional way of building a mid major. But as we have seen…the bright lights of the portal come calling.

One of the reasons I support JW is he seems to be able to retain the talent he brings in. Skogman is the only major loss. Mballa was gone one way or the other and Fagan did 6 years it seems, so I had no problem him looking for a different experience his last year. One can dream 🙂

4 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I remember these sort of posts from 10+ years ago where people would project growth from players and, in the future, watch out!  

10 hours ago, UBinMD said:

One of the reasons I support JW is he seems to be able to retain the talent he brings in. Skogman is the only major loss. Mballa was gone one way or the other and Fagan did 6 years it seems, so I had no problem him looking for a different experience his last year. One can dream 🙂

Of course you can dream. But the reality is that Whitesell has never been to the tournament as a head coach and it seems that his teams have consistently underperformed. 

4 hours ago, BullBoy said:

This is going to be a real long season if all we do is going radio silent when we win and say fire Whitesell when we lose.

Who went on radio silence when we won? Our win over SBU had the most posts for any game this season. The Howard loss was a close second but what do you expect when you lose to a team ranked in the 300's? We lost by a billion points to another midmajor in Tulane and we barely had 2 pages of posts? Keep guessing.

13 hours ago, clodney said:

Who went on radio silence when we won? Our win over SBU had the most posts for any game this season. The Howard loss was a close second but what do you expect when you lose to a team ranked in the 300's? We lost by a billion points to another midmajor in Tulane and we barely had 2 pages of posts? Keep guessing.

For me personally, I don't have anything to say about this game.....because I couldn't watch it.  I can look at the box score all day and see that the Bulls didn't play well, but I don't have anything to add to the conversation if I can't watch the game with my own eyes.  It's 2022, I love UB sports but frankly I can't be bothered to sit around the radio on a Saturday afternoon to listen to the game like it's the 70s.

13 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

For me personally, I don't have anything to say about this game.....because I couldn't watch it.  I can look at the box score all day and see that the Bulls didn't play well, but I don't have anything to add to the conversation if I can't watch the game with my own eyes.  It's 2022, I love UB sports but frankly I can't be bothered to sit around the radio on a Saturday afternoon to listen to the game like it's the 70s.

You do know you can listen on your phone, right? Conveniently you can take to wherever you go 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clodney said:

I actually started to respond to the "radio silent" comment by doing what you did (since the statement was factually false)...then thought "this is a waste".  People will see what they want to see, regardless of facts.  So I didn't respond.

What's most troubling is not the fact that one person posted it, but three people "liked" it.  

First I am old guy I listened to the UB Bulls basketball game on the radio but if you aren’t on some streaming platform that is bad business for UB Bulls basketball especially with young people. UB needs to be better they can’t be in tournaments today with no way of watching. You minds as well be Division 3 and drop basketball if you are going to schedule nonsense like that it bad for business and bad for recruiting. It isn’t a good look today for UB. Even Canisius Golden Griffins Reggie Witherspoon has all the Griffs games on ESPN+. For $99.99 year yes subscription went up $30 from last year. For that price I want Big 4 games on that platform or some sort of television option at the very least. I am old radio guy listening to the late Clip Smith call Division 3 UB Bulls football games in the early 1980’s on the UB campus radio station along with Division 3 Canisius Griffs football on 1230 WECK saying that. Again UB fans saying it doesn’t matter it does. Western New York has 4 Division I basketball teams out of sight out of mind. Even the greedy NFL realized television blackouts are bad for football business in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

12 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

First I am old guy I listened to the UB Bulls basketball game on the radio but if you aren’t on some streaming platform that is bad business for UB Bulls basketball especially with young people. UB needs to be better they can’t be in tournaments today with no way of watching. You minds as well be Division 3 and drop basketball if you are going to schedule nonsense like that it bad for business and bad for recruiting. It isn’t a good look today for UB. Even Canisius Golden Griffins Reggie Witherspoon has all the Griffs games on ESPN+. For $99.99 year yes subscription went up $30 from last year. For that price I want Big 4 games on that platform or some sort of television option at the very least. I am old radio guy listening to the late Clip Smith call Division 3 UB Bulls football games in the early 1980’s on the UB campus radio station along with Division 3 Canisius Griffs football on 1230 WECK saying that. Again UB fans saying it doesn’t matter it does. Western New York has 4 Division I basketball teams out of sight out of mind. Even the greedy NFL realized television blackouts are bad for football business in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

UB streams their games on radio.  They are on the Varsity app.

It is not up to UB when they are not the home team if the game will be streamed through an outlet like ESPN3 or ESPN+.  It is the option of whomever owns the rights.  IN htis case it was probably whomever created the the Hoopsgiving event.

Not sure if the NFL actually thinks that blackouts are bad for their bottom line.  Ending the blackouts was probably bad for those teams that did not sellout their games.  They lost the revenue from business that would buy up the last few thousand seats so that the blackout was lifted and they got good publicity for donating the tickets to charities (think Buffalo Bills a few years ago).