Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

I wonder who the candidates are that we have not heard about. Anybody know about how many candidates were interviewed for the last few hires for WBB, football and MBB? There have been five candidates rumored to be connected to us in our search. I'm guessing they consider about 20, talk to 10 and bring about 5 to campus.

On 3/25/2023 at 8:48 PM, MuchMany said:

As much as I'm in love with the idea of McCollum, I'm long-term obsessed with the idea of recruiting the GTA and Montreal. Combine both? Take my donations.

I've said it before, but 10 million people live between the two. 150 current D1 players hail from Canada. It's bizarre that we only had one of them on our roster.

An answer to that might be to urge Jeff Meyer out of retirement. The former Butler assistant HC who helped build that program under Licklitter and Stevens lives in Midland, ON. 

14 minutes ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

Makes me a little worried that he is in the mix 

Makes no sense too. Just signed an extension.  Best info I can find is he makes at least 235k right now 2019 before he signed an extension. He doesn't seem like the type of candidate we will offer the top of our budget too. Its not a major jump in conference, not a massive increase in salary. With the transfers portal UB is in rebuild mode.  In addition to what ever the buy out from UBs end will be. It just doesn't make sense. 

Yea, I have very little interest in Calhoun. No real success as HC outside of a decent single season in the Horizon League. Sounds like a fall back option to me and I agree if he's truly in the mix I am losing confidence in this hiring campaign.

5 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Yea, I have very little interest in Calhoun. No real success as HC outside of a decent single season in the Horizon League. Sounds like a fall back option to me and I agree if he's truly in the mix I am losing confidence in this hiring campaign.

He's much better than his record indicates. People continuously say how it is almost impossible to win at YSU (for a number of factors). Best friends with coach of the Celtics, he definitely knows basketball. 

With that said, he interviewed for BSGU and didn't get the job (might have turned it down) and he really does only have one good season, which featured a whole bunch of seniors. Lost in semifinals of conference tournament as 1 seed, and then lost at home in the first round of the NIT to Oklahoma State.

1 minute ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

One tidbit from a Twiiter spaces broadcast last night, an insider said McCollum was flattered by UB's interview and interest, but it may not be the right fit for him. The tone was not positive, now have to see if UB steps up if he has ?'s on money/league/recruting to WNY.

Sounds like coach-speak for "thanks but no thanks"

We are really grasping at straws now

14 minutes ago, ukbro00 said:

He's much better than his record indicates.

That's not really how coaching works IMO. I get that YSU isn't a basketball mecca but he's not exactly coaching against the greatest teams so I would expect more than 1 finishes above 6th place in... 6 years. What should show us that he wouldn't come in and middle in the MAC given it would be essentially the same [geographic] recruiting base?

Thought for sure we crashed the board with news of a hire.

It seems like we may be targeting head coaches as opposed to assistants. Perhaps ADMA doesn't want to risk a learning curve in running a program. Re: Jerrod Calhoun, this is what I've gathered:

Pros

Brought Youngstown back from the depths of D1 futility, though it took six years. 

Found his way to an extremely efficient offense this year, 23rd in eFG%. Big time athletes who can shoot 3s and FTs.

From the Huggins tree. Had success at D2. Has been rumored to be in the running for an assistant job this off-season with the Celtics under Joe Mazzulla, his former assistant at Fairmont St. and player at WVU. That's a significant indicator of his reputation among those who do this for a living.

Has recruited the portal well to bring players to one of the least appealing spots in D1.

Cons

He's not McCollum or Cohen. 

His defenses have been brutally bad every year, per Torvik.

While there has been improvement at YSU, it has been rather glacial to get to this point over six years.

He was up for the BG job this month and didn't get it.

He's at an underfunded program and could be looking for an escape route. If we're looking for a bargain, that could be a combination leading to a mediocre hire. 

11 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

One tidbit from a Twiiter spaces broadcast last night, an insider said McCollum was flattered by UB's interview and interest, but it may not be the right fit for him. The tone was not positive, now have to see if UB steps up if he has ?'s on money/league/recruting to WNY.

This is the first piece of disappointing news in this whole search. Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately I agree that this isn't a perfect fit for him. Hope he has a change of heart. 

3 minutes ago, ukbro00 said:

Sounds like coach-speak for "thanks but no thanks"

We are really grasping at straws now

Taking a few guesses here.

We are trying to be cheap or we really can'y pay. When we should be finding and paying a 500k coach. We are looking for a 500k coach and offering half. 

There is a lot more politics in play here then I would guess. SUNY is a political machine NY is currently in budget talks. All it takes is one or two people insert themselfs and demand a whole list of possible different political talking points. 

11 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

That’s not ideal. Very concerning. I’m starting to think McCollum and Cohen turned us down. I hope I’m just being a Debbie-downer, and that isn’t the case. Would make my Monday much more difficult to get through if that’s really the case. 

6 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Thought for sure we crashed the board with news of a hire.

It seems like we may be targeting head coaches as opposed to assistants. Perhaps ADMA doesn't want to risk a learning curve in running a program. Re: Jerrod Calhoun, this is what I've gathered:

Pros

Brought Youngstown back from the depths of D1 futility, though it took six years. 

Found his way to an extremely efficient offense this year, 23rd in eFG%. Big time athletes who can shoot 3s and FTs.

From the Huggins tree. Had success at D2. Has been rumored to be in the running for an assistant job this off-season with the Celtics under Joe Mazzulla, his former assistant at Fairmont St. and player at WVU. That's a significant indicator of his reputation among those who do this for a living.

Has recruited the portal well to bring players to one of the least appealing spots in D1.

Cons

He's not McCollum or Cohen. 

His defenses have been brutally bad every year, per Torvik.

While there has been improvement at YSU, it has been rather glacial to get to this point over six years.

He was up for the BG job this month and didn't get it.

He's at an underfunded program and could be looking for an escape route. If we're looking for a bargain, that could be a combination leading to a mediocre hire. 

If he's looking for a not underfunded program, while I would not call UB underfunded. I would not call it funded either. 

7 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

That's not really how coaching works IMO. I get that YSU isn't a basketball mecca but he's not exactly coaching against the greatest teams so I would expect more than 1 finishes above 6th place in... 6 years. What should show us that he wouldn't come in and middle in the MAC given it would be essentially the same [geographic] recruiting base?

It can be how coaching works imo. If he's an A coach with D talent, he's doing his part to raise their level.

Re: recruiting, sure he'd be in the same pool for talent, but he'd have far more resources at his disposal to use on his already established connections. If I go to Wegmans with $200 in my pocket, I'm going to get better groceries than with $50 at that same store. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Which Twitter space was that? Interested in listening to it

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

It can be how coaching works imo. If he's an A coach with D talent, he's doing his part to raise their level.

Re: recruiting, sure he'd be in the same pool for talent, but he'd have far more resources at his disposal to use on his already established connections. If I go to Wegmans with $200 in my pocket, I'm going to get better groceries than with $50 at that same store. 

At least legally speaking this is more like driving to Wegmans in a nicer car and maybe a better outfit. That $200 is maybe $100 at best after Whitesell through away our cache.

5 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

If he's looking for a not underfunded program, while I would not call UB underfunded. I would not call it funded either. 

However bad we think we have it, it sounds like an acute, pressing issue at YSU.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoelWhetzel/status/1637075991745929219

“I think there’s got to be a commitment,” Calhoun said. “It starts right now — we don’t have time to waste. We need to upgrade this arena (the Beeghly Center) in the worst way. The portal is open. … We have to get players, we have to retain players. And I think the next thing is the NIL — name, image and likeness.”

To that end, Calhoun said he and his staff have met with a handful of prospective newcomers already, and one thing continues to lead the conversation.

“The first thing they ask is, ‘Where’s your (NIL) collective money? Where do you guys stand in your league?'” Calhoun noted. “So we need support. And the support sometimes is money, and that’s the bottom line. So we’ll be 100 miles an hour raising money for an arena, but the first thing is we have to attack this portal, because we did a heck of a job last year with it. So it can be done again.”