Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

1 hour ago, 121Merrimac said:

Regarding NIL, there have been several comments about money going to students.  I'm wondering if there are any examples of what the student does, or how their likeness is used to compensate for those funds.  Photoshoot?  Infomercial?  Nothing?

Promoting things on social. Showing up at events. Etc…

39 minutes ago, Bill said:

Honestly if it’s the Norfolk Rob jones, it isn’t a horrible move by any means. He’s done nothing but win there, which is incredibly hard to do at a consistent level. 104-34 in the MEAC is nothing to look down upon. 

He would not be a good hire. He took over for Anthony Evans, who seemingly did better at Norfolk St, and then struggled at FIU.

Some names that I think UB should reach out to. I think most on this list are highly unlikely given who has already turned down the job. 

John Becker 

Speedy Claxton

Jared Grasso

Levelle Moton

Amir Abdur-Rahim

Darrin Horn

Bucky McMillan

Joe Gallo

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

If that's the price of a ticket to relevancy, then you might as well go FCS and join the NEC. We don't have the school spirit or the donor base.

Isn’t that the point now tho…it’s time to start building a donor base. An NIL collective. It has to start at some point and when coaches are passing on our job and citing that as the reason then it has to start now. What is the school supposed to do…cry about it then do nothing?

14 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

Some names that I think UB should reach out to. I think most on this list are highly unlikely given who has already turned down the job. 

John Becker 

Speedy Claxton

Jared Grasso

Levelle Moton

Amir Abdur-Rahim

Darrin Horn

Bucky McMillan

Joe Gallo

Becker was at temple today. Think he, Abdur-Rahim and Grasso are aiming higher.

A MEAC coach? I'm sorry that's ridiculous. 

I'm pissed off honestly. I'm 36 and have no influence. Do we really not have any older alumni who have been beefing up this program since the Hurley and Oats runs? Our arena was full, we were filling Quicken Loans every March against the Ohios. How were we not building a donor base and the foundation for NIL? That's a complete failure on the department. They got gifted a couple golden geese in a row and squandered them.

Edited by MuchMany

13 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

This ides was floated to do exactly the with FLJ, last year so we would not lose her. There might be to much risk for the upside. Right coach. The AD is a genius by completely changing the coaching landscape of a completely entrenched boys club. Or the AD is a complete moron worst decision made by a college AD ever. 

This was raised on page 1 of the thread, so I think we have come full circle.

23 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Did we definitely hire a firm?

It was stated we did. If that is the case, they should never be used again. This is on them as much as the AD in my opinion. You hire a firm mainly the act as an intermediary so the leaks of who didn't accept, etc. are kept to a minimum. We went from 2 weeks of radio silence to 3-4 public rejections in 1 day. Someone screwed the pooch on that one and that is what consultants are for!

• Like 1

Yea this firm should take a lot of blame. Unless the AD is even more inept than we think you can’t bring candidates to the table if interest isn’t there. I understand that deals are negotiated on both ends but 0-3 on OFFERS at this level is completely and utterly unacceptable. This whole process is an absolute mess and everyone involved should be on some sort of hot seat.

• Like 3

Just now, Jeseph said:

Yea this firm should take a lot of blame. Unless the AD is even more inept than we think you can’t bring candidates to the table if interest isn’t there. I understand that deals are negotiated on both ends but 0-3 on OFFERS at this level is completely and utterly unacceptable. This whole process is an absolute mess and everyone involved should be on some sort of hot seat.

Didn’t CSA go through a round of layoffs? Thought I saw that somewhere but can’t find it.

Just now, Blue03 said:

It appears a lot happened in the past week when I wasn’t looking. Did things really go so far south? What happened to the good candidates, are they no longer even in consideration?

According to reports, McCollum and Cohen said no thank you. Then the Youngstown St coach bubbled up, supposedly he said no thank you because our NIL wasn't strong enough for his taste. Not sure about some of the others that were originally talked about we had 3 public rejections yesterday after 2 weeks of nothing.

5 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Hi Gang,  I've been off the grid for the last week +.  I don't feel like going through 35 pages to find out where we are.  Someone please summarize for me.  Who have we offered the job to that has turned it down?  Who do the leading candidates seem to be at this time?  Thanks,

Cohen, McCollum, and Calhoun have all reportedly turned down offers.

Hodgson was hired elsewhere.

Washington apparently hasn't been interviewed.

Unfortunately, that leaves you, ChubbyHubby, to be the leading candidate at this time. 

Edited by ukbro00
  • Haha 1

Just now, ChubbyHubby said:

Hi Gang,  I've been off the grid for the last week +.  I don't feel like going through 35 pages to find out where we are.  Someone please summarize for me.  Who have we offered the job to that has turned it down?  Who do the leading candidates seem to be at this time?  Thanks,

Offered and turned down: Adam Cohen, Ben McCollum
Maybe offered and maybe turned down: Jerrod Calhoun

Leading candidates (in no order):
Me
@Kevin
@BrooklynBull
Angres Thorpe
Jim Whitesell
Christian Schmidt
Heather Turner
Vadim Fedetov
Jackie Moon

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ukbro00 said:

Cohen, McCollum, and Calhoun have all reportedly turned down offers.

Hodgson was hired elsewhere.

Washington apparently hasn't been interviewed.

Unfortunately, that leaves you, ChubbyHubby, to be the leading candidate at this time. 

Hodgson apparently wasn't even considered for an interview according to TBN.